Thank you to those who donated to Piano Society in 2017.

Schubert - "Der Lindenbaum"

Discussion in 'Submission Room' started by pianolady, Feb 5, 2015.

1. pianolady

pianolady Monica Hart, Administrator Staff Member Piano Society Artist Trusted Member

Last Name:
    Hart
    First Name:
    Monica
    I recently listened to a lot of Schubert’s song cycles, and besides “Der Muller und der Bach”, I also like “Der Lindenbaum” very much. Last weekend I recorded “Der Lindenbaum”(from the Winterreise set). I’m a nature-lover so I decided to turn the recording into a little video by adding images I felt matched the music.

Here is the mp3:

Schubert - "Der Lindenbaum"

And here is the video link:

http://youtu.be/yYqwHDb4TOE

2. StuKautsch

StuKautsch Member Piano Society Artist

Software Developer
    Last Name:
    Kautsch
    First Name:
    Stewart
    [I listened to the mp3 through speakers, as usual.]

A heroic effort, Monica. I assume you arranged this yourself, and you do get most of the melody out.

In the third piano solo (bottom of page 3 in my edition - International), I thought the emphasis on the top note of the triplets was slightly overdone and disconcerts the listener a little. The melody comes out fine if they're played normally, and the two hands "line up" the way the listener expects.

Are you going to continue with more of these? This one lends itself to this kind of treatment more than some others. Maybe you'll have to double-track (record the vocal line after the accompaniment) some of them!

Just to weigh in on an obvious point of contention: We allow orchestral transcriptions (which is fine) so why not song transcriptions? I may be biased - I supported myself as a vocal accompanist in my youth.

BTW: You do know that Schubert provided a few song transcriptions? I don't know where to find them, but I know I've run across them.

3. pianolady

pianolady Monica Hart, Administrator Staff Member Piano Society Artist Trusted Member

Last Name:
    Hart
    First Name:
    Monica
    Thank you for listening, Stu!

No, I did not arrange this myself. I found it online. Actually I found two arrangements and this was the better one.

Thank you for pointing out my too loud triplets. I'll pay attention to that next time I play this.

Regarding recording others....I recently recorded "Der Muller und der Bach." I'm not sure if I will do anymore or not. I just go with whatever hits me just right.

We do allow song transcriptions. I know that I myself recorded a Liszt transcription of a Chopin song a while back. And I'm sure we have plenty others on the main site too.

No, I do not know of Schubert's own transcriptions. If you ever find them again, can you please tell me?

4. Didier

Didier Member Piano Society Artist Trusted Member

Last Name:
    Brest
    First Name:
    Didier
    Thank you Monica ! I always appreciate listening to Schubert music on this forum. It is a rare pleasure. :)

There is no piano transcription of his songs by Schubert himself. The most famous ones are from Liszt. Especially he did one of Der Lindenbaum but he could not prevent himself from adding some Liszt in the piano accompaniment part (listen here from 1'40"). You have been right for not choosing this one.

5. pianoman342

pianoman342 Member Piano Society Artist Trusted Member

Last Name:
    Tucker
    First Name:
    Riley
    Enjoyed this a lot, thanks Monica.

6. StuKautsch

StuKautsch Member Piano Society Artist

Software Developer
    Last Name:
    Kautsch
    First Name:
    Stewart
    Thanks, Didier. I was searching for the transcriptions that I believed existed, and your comment will save me further trouble. My memory of this must have been colored by his re-use of the melody in the Trout Quintet, which is from one of his songs.

Also, I think that the first transcription I learned of Standchen was unattributed and I assumed it was by Schubert. (I was about 9 years old - for the American readers it was in the Schaum piano course. I would check the attribution but I just gave away my childhood copies last year. They're so old they may end up in a museum. :wink: )

7. pianolady

Last Name:
    Hart
    First Name:
    Monica
    Thank you, Didier and Riley!

Didier, I agree with you about 'not' playing Liszt's transcription. He really Lisztisized it!! (I think I just made up a word...haha). Did you hear that trill near the end? That's the longest trill I've ever heard!! And I'm not crazy how the melody line is all over the place between the hands. I love a lot of Liszt's music, but his transcription of Der Lindenbaum is not one of my favorites.

8. Htran

Htran New Member

I'm from vietnam. It is hard to me to remember foreign songs. I have not known this song until I heard you playing that. I wonder that where that song comes from. By the way, you play so well, and I enjoy it a lot.Thank for that.

9. pianolady

Last Name:
    Hart
    First Name:
    Monica
    Thank you, and welcome to Piano Society.

This piece is from Schubert's "Winterreise" cycle. You can learn more about it here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Winterreise

10. Rachfan

Rachfan Active Member Piano Society Artist

Chief Operating Officer, retired
    Last Name:
    April
    First Name:
    David
    Hi Monica,

I enjoyed listening to this song transcription which I had never heard before. It's very nicely played, Monica. I like Schubert and have recorded some of his music. But he's not the easiest composer to play. Seemingly he loves to meander, but sometimes doesn't firmly tell the pianist what direction to take. Often the pianist has to figure that out on his/her own. Well, maybe that's why he's so engaging.

David

11. pianolady

Last Name:
    Hart
    First Name:
    Monica
    Hi David,

It's nice to see you again! :)
    Thank you for the kind words. I'm working on another Schubert piece right now too. His no.2 piano piece from "3 Piano Pieces". It's fun to play and the main theme is so beautiful!

12. Didier

Didier Member Piano Society Artist Trusted Member

Last Name:
    Brest
    First Name:
    Didier
  13. pianolady

Last Name:
    Hart
    First Name:
    Monica
    Hi Didier,

Thank you so much for the link to Sokolov's recording. What masterful playing! I've only listened to Brendel play this piece. Sokolov plays with more freedom in the pretty sections. Plus, he plays with a more detached and articulate style in the faster sections. Very interesting! I also noticed that he doesn't play the fast, second section as fast as Brendel. That makes me very happy!

Very enlightening! And it made my day, because maybe I'm not as far off from being able to play this piece as I thought. Thank you again, Didier! :)

14. verqueue

verqueue New Member

Home Page:
    This is really nice performance. I like very much your balance - how you play top notes and melody. You show very good range of moods in this piece. I especially like a change which is about 1:30. There is only one thing I didn't like. In some spots there was too much pedal. I think it's because there is melody which you want to play legato and because of that you connect also bass notes. Maybe some pedal trick there is needed.

Best regards!

15. pianolady

Last Name:
    Hart
    First Name:
    Monica
    Thank you for listening! I'll keep that in mind next time I play the piece.

16. Francois de Larrard

Francois de Larrard Administrator Staff Member Piano Society Artist Trusted Member

Researcher
    Home Page:
    Last Name:
    Larrard
    First Name:
    Francois de
    After your French connection, we have also listened your Lindenbaum. A special piece for us, since my wife and I have performed the whole Schubert cycle in concert some years ago. Of course, these transcriptions are always a little frustrating when you are used to hear the melody sang. But your rendition is good enough to make the listener quickly forget this absence of the human voice. Perhaps you could have even more emphasized the melody, keeping the original accompaniment in the background... What a beautiful music, though !

17. pianolady

Last Name:
    Hart
    First Name:
    Monica
    That's interesting about you and your wife performing the whole cycle!
    Thanks for the tip about bringing out the melody more. I thought I was doing that, but I'm not a very subjective listener. That's why it's great to have feedback!

18. musicusblau

musicusblau Administrator Staff Member Piano Society Artist Trusted Member

High-school-teacher with subjects music and german
    Last Name:
    Pfaul
    First Name:
    Andreas
    That´s a nice piano transcription of this well-known song. And you play it very nicely. It´s a lovely idea to put these pictures to the music.

19. pianolady

Last Name:
    Hart
    First Name:
    Monica
    Thank you, Andreas! I like to make these kinds of videos because I don't have to worry about how I look.... :)

20. musicusblau

musicusblau Administrator Staff Member Piano Society Artist Trusted Member

High-school-teacher with subjects music and german
    Last Name:
    Pfaul
    First Name:
    Andreas
    Yes, I understand that. I know this feeling: I want to make a video with me at the piano, touch my chin and have to realize that I´m still not shaved. (Of course, this only could happen to me during holidays.) :wink: :lol: