Thank you to those who donated to Piano Society in 2017.

Schubert and Beethoven

Discussion in 'Submission Room' started by Chaotica, Jun 27, 2007.

1. Chaotica

Chaotica New Member Piano Society Artist

Last Name:
    Lebenstedt
    First Name:
    Jan-Felix
  2. pianolady

pianolady Monica Hart, Administrator Staff Member Piano Society Artist Trusted Member

Last Name:
    Hart
    First Name:
    Monica
    I think your style is good on both pieces. Your phrasing and dynamics were good on the Schubert, and the balance between hands was good on the Beethoven. Nice playing.
    That Beethoven sonatina needs a third part, in my opinion.

3. Chaotica

Last Name:
    Lebenstedt
    First Name:
    Jan-Felix
    Thank you, Monica!

Yes, it's obviously incomplete, but I think it has some good hints to his later, mature style and is nice to play, a good beginner piece.

The Schubert is again one of these scary seven-minute pieces... Sometimes, I hate doing such long pieces because my excitement is always growing so much in the last two or three minutes during a recording take. So much that it takes five or ten minutes until my heart's beating normally again. :x

4. techneut

techneut Active Member Piano Society Artist Trusted Member

Last Name:
    Breemer
    First Name:
    Chris
    I've never heard these Beethoven juvenilia, so can't comment much on interpretation. No problem with technique, touch and sound, all fine, but (as in your Haydn) it sounds as if you have just learned this and are not yet very convinced how it should sound. It has a certain element of surprise :)

The Schubert is much faster that what we usually hear. Not a bad thing in itself, as this piece, for all its beauty, tends to drag on at some pianists's very slow tempo. But it sounds hurried. It seems as if your last beat in a bar aways comes slightly early. You may want to count in eights to see what I mean, especially in the trio where this is a bit annoying - your rhythm sometimes seems closer to 5/8 than to 3/4. You have a persistent read error in (I think it's) bar 34 and similar, the bar marked fp, where in the 2nd chord you play an f instead of an e. And in bar 4 of the trio you play an (extra) C in the first chord which is not in my score. This happens in the 2nd half of the trio too. These were the only mistakes I could spot.

Apart from that, nothing but praise here. Very musically done, with great use of dynamics. In the forte passages, yout digital sounds a bit, well, digital... and I longed for a deeper bass sound. Although Schubert's instruments probably sounded less good and deep than this one.

5. juufa72

juufa72 New Member Piano Society Artist

Last Name:
    Grocholski
    First Name:
    Julius
    I'll provide the sheet music when I get home tonight. You did play them well. I tried to play the Beethoven Sonatina once but it got the best of me. :evil:

Your digital sounds better than my digital. So your recordings sound great.

6. Chaotica

Last Name:
    Lebenstedt
    First Name:
    Jan-Felix
    I don't know whether I should agree, but I also think I'm still not very good with judging my own performances. Do you other people think so, either? If yes, you can forget this recording.

It's almost always easier to play pieces slowlier for obvious reasons. You already know that I usually try to resist this temptation. However, I agree a slow tempo makes sense in this piece because of the harmonic density. But one cannot deny there is an "Allegretto" written above, which is a fast - moderately fast, but fast - tempo. In our classical thinking we cannot ignore that because most of us are trying to get near to the composer's intentions.

Apart from that, I admit I didn't know that it is common to play this slowlier. I only listened to Barenboim's interpretation, which is nine minutes long, and I thought this was an unusual approach (the same with no.5, which he plays in 2:09, pure "Prestissimo" if you ask me). When I listen to it, I'm thinking of an "Andante" or an "Andante molto", and it isn't necessarily a matter of metronome figures, but of feeling.

Edit: I'll check those rhythm and note mistakes.

Yes, you're right. The instrument, while very handy with its recording functions and such, is far from perfect and it's a bit less fun to play than my Seiler acoustic at my (mother's) home. I can use the Bass Boost effect of Audacity, but this makes the sound even more digital in my experience. If I get my hands on some kind of recording equipment in the future, I'll make a real recording.

Thank you for your comment, very useful, as always. :)

7. juufa72

juufa72 New Member Piano Society Artist

Last Name:
    Grocholski
    First Name:
    Julius
    sheet music for the beethoven. (Schubert is already on the main website). -JG

p.s I did not feel like making a new post or sending a PM, but under Schubert's Musical Moments page there is a typo in the text for Smullyan's "Rambles, Reflections, Music and Readings":

This video is linked below (601 MB) and I really recommend your to take you time and watch it.

Nothing cataclysmic :wink:

Beethoven - WoO.50, Sonatina in F major

8. robert

robert Active Member Piano Society Artist Trusted Member

Home Page:
    Last Name:
    Stahlbrand
    First Name:
    Robert
    There were a lot more errors in that sentence which now reads: "Raymond Smullyan has created a video named "Rambles, Reflections, Music and Readings". This video is linked below (380 MB) and Piano Society recommends to take the time to download and watch it."

9. John Robson

John Robson New Member Piano Society Artist

Retired
    Last Name:
    Robson
    First Name:
    John
    Beethoven and Schubert

Good job! I've never played or even heard these Beethoven pieces, so it was a nice experience for me to hear them for the first time. These early little works by Beethoven are more difficult to play effectively than they first appear. These pieces, like Mozart's pieces, are very transparent and must be played very precisely. You did them justice.

The Schubert was also well performed. Your interpretation was quite refined. I enjoyed!

10. robert

robert Active Member Piano Society Artist Trusted Member

Home Page:
    Last Name:
    Stahlbrand
    First Name:
    Robert
    Nice playing of the Beethoven Sonatina which was new for me. I liked your Schubert too and feel that you made it to something personal which is very important in music (there is enough with copycats on the professional stage).

I have put up everything on the site.