Thank you to those who donated to Piano Society in 2017.

Schubert - Allegretto in C minor, D. 915

Discussion in 'Submission Room' started by Didier, May 2, 2008.

1. Didier

Didier Member Piano Society Artist

Last Name:
    Brest
    First Name:
    Didier
    Hello,

this Schubert piece is not on Pianosociety. Composed on 26 April 1827, dedicated to Ferdinand Walcher. I will certainly come back with a new recording in some months but feel now that I must leave it for some time. Meanwhile, might this recording be put up ? :)
    Anyway thank you in advance for your listening.

Didier

Schubert - D.915, Allegretto in C major

2. juufa72

juufa72 New Member Piano Society Artist

Last Name:
    Grocholski
    First Name:
    Julius
    Never heard this before. So I cannot comment on your execution of this piece. All I can say is thank you for sharing.

3. pianolady

pianolady Monica Hart, Administrator Staff Member Piano Society Artist Trusted Member

Last Name:
    Hart
    First Name:
    Monica
    I too have not heard this before. Sort of an unusual piece with that one chord that pops in now and then. Phrasing and dynamics sound good. No time this week, but I'll put it up over the weekend.

4. robert

robert Active Member Piano Society Artist

Home Page:
    Last Name:
    Stahlbrand
    First Name:
    Robert
    I am not familiar with this piece either but I believe you play it good. It sounds well planned and carefully interpreted and I do not hear any strange slips or errors. But as I said, I do not know it.
    I have put it up on the site under "Schubert -> Miscellaneous". I could not find that it was part of any set. If so, let me know.

5. Didier

Last Name:
    Brest
    First Name:
    Didier
    No, it is not a part of any set. It was composed and given by Schubert to his friend Walcher, a singer who was a member of the Scubertiades, just before Walcher left Wien. There is a mistake in the title : it is in C minor.

6. pianolady

pianolady Monica Hart, Administrator Staff Member Piano Society Artist Trusted Member

Last Name:
    Hart
    First Name:
    Monica
  7. nathanscoleman

nathanscoleman New Member Piano Society Artist

Last Name:
    Coleman
    First Name:
    Nathan
    What an unusual piece! I would have never guessed this was Schubert ... and it sounded very well performed to me! Thx for bringing it to our ears, Didier.

I'm with you Mon, that chord is bizarre. I'd say it was a New York City composer putting a honking car into the score, but the time period would be off. Maybe a gaggle of geese tromped by while Franz was writing this one??

8. Syeles

Syeles New Member

retired
    Most enjoyable. Not a piece I know. But wonderful playing and a great recording.
    Regards,
    Albert

9. musicusblau

musicusblau Administrator Staff Member Piano Society Artist Trusted Member

High-school-teacher with subjects music and german
    Last Name:
    Pfaul
    First Name:
    Andreas
    Hi Didier,
    really a nice and deep little romantic piece, very reflective IMO. Yes, from it´s caracter it´s typical for Schubert. I didn´t know it until now. And the performance is one more proof of your very sensitive and musical playing. Thank you for sharing.

10. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Well played, Didier! Difficult t find lackof quality in your playing here.
    And, I insist, the sound (your touch, the piano, and the recording). Congratulations to the pianist,
    and standing ovation for the recording.
    All best,
    Sandro

11. techneut

techneut Active Member Piano Society Artist

Last Name:
    Breemer
    First Name:
    Chris
    I have heard this before, courtesy of Dutch radio, who are absolutely besotted with Schubert. It could not be anything else but Schubert. Not a strong piece though, it rather dawdles and feels like an improvisation. Heavenly length but with too little material. Yet, good to have it on PS.

Excellent performance, and fantastic sound as usual. Little to niggle about, but if I must, I'd say that sometimes you rush a little bit, and in some places your unisono is not quite even, and some chords are not optimally even. But it's nitpicking - and very small nits at that. Well done !

12. Didier

Last Name:
    Brest
    First Name:
    Didier
    Thank to all of you for your kind appreciations. Chris, your reserves are mine. That's why I said in my first post that I intend to re-record this piece in some months. I agree that the material of this piece is not much elaborated. Nevertheless it has a particular charm that explains why it was recorded by great interprets: Arthur Schnabel, Claudio Arrau (two times), Sviatoslav Richter, who performed the slowest allegretto in 7'10 (live recording on 1978), and possibly others.

13. Didier

Last Name:
    Brest
    First Name:
    Didier
  14. techneut

techneut Active Member Piano Society Artist

Last Name:
    Breemer
    First Name:
    Chris
    Ok Didier, it is done. I see you are quite a bit faster this time (5:10 instead of 5:53). Probably not a bad thing... Richter's long-drawn performance would bore me to death.

This sounds beautiful, and rhythmically more stable than I am used to from you. One pint of attention could be the equal attack. In some places your hands don't come down together (but in many places they do perfectly).

One request specifically for you: please do not post recordings in VBR (Variable Bit Rate). My tools can't correctly calculate the duration of a recording unless it is CBR. They came up with 7:28. I'd like to know how iTunes does it, as this displays the correct duration.

15. Didier

Last Name:
    Brest
    First Name:
    Didier
    Thank you Chris. I will record at CBR 192 kbps from now. For the tempo, I may have been influenced by the single listening from the twin-CD I bought on yesterday: the 3 last sonates, the Klavierstücke D 946 and this Allegretto from Schubert by Maurizio Pollini (1985). He performed the Allegretto in 5'16". Up to now I used to listen to Claudio Arrau (1978) who performed it in 6'49".

16. musicusblau

Last Name:
    Pfaul
    First Name:
    Andreas
    Bravo, Didier! What a sensitive and expressive performance and what a subtle sound!

Rhythmically it is really quite well played. You have definitely improved your rhythmic steadiness and accuracy.

The only thing is, that the octaves of the LH and RH often are not well together, and more, if there ar two different voices in the RH and LH, f.ex. in parts like in bar 17 - 21.

The last two bars before the last thin final stroke (dünner Doppelstrich) you play completely other notes than shown in my score. (Boston, Oliver Ditson, 1912. from imslp.org)
    But there seem to be different versions, on imslp.org I found a Breitkopf und Härtel-edition, in which there are more passages (such which you don´t play) and others.

Another tip: be aware on the minor thirds in the tenor like in bar 5 and similar and bar 29 and similar. I do not hear these very important minor thirds, may be you play them very silent or not, I don´t know.

It´s a great pleasure to listen to this very musical recording!

17. Didier

Last Name:
    Brest
    First Name:
    Didier
    Andreas, I'm always stunned by your listening accuracy. I checked that indeed the LH Cflat at bar 5 did not sound, likely because I wanted to play too soflty.

Yes, not in my Henle score too...

I felt that Franz was in a hurry for giving its score to his friend who was on leave. So he indicated an exact repetition. I wanted to suggest to him this slight variation... It was already in my first recording, which is not a justification since errrare humanum est sed perseverare diabolicum... Anyway if Franz does not like it, I sincerely apologize to him.

18. musicusblau

Last Name:
    Pfaul
    First Name:
    Andreas
    Didier wrote:
    No need to apologize, it´s just creative. I think, the old great pianist have also done such things. :)