DONATION STATUS
Needed before 2016-12-31
$ 2,500
So far donated
$ 805

Schubert -- 4 Impromptus (D. 899 or op. 90)

Discussion in 'Submission Room' started by jlr43, Oct 23, 2010.

1. jlr43

jlr43 Member Piano Society Artist

Technical Editor
    Last Name:
    Renouf
    First Name:
    Joe
  2. Didier

Didier Member Piano Society Artist

Last Name:
    Brest
    First Name:
    Didier
    Great! Beyond my critical capabilities. Anyway I believe that these interpretations reveal Schubert's soul.

I'm still keen to listen to your unprocessed material and to test whether I could achieve a richer sound. Some can be done from the above material but I hope better results from the original unprocessed (and, still better, uncompressed) material, possibly in a mono format since stereo format is redundant for a mono recording like here.

3. Rachfan

Rachfan Active Member Piano Society Artist

Chief Operating Officer, retired
    Last Name:
    April
    First Name:
    David
    Hi Joe,

I had just a bit of time this afternoon, so listened to the Cm Impromptu. Very fine playing! When I played this piece quite awhile ago, I gave it a more of a romantic flavor, whereas I think your rendition leans more toward the classical sound. For everyone, Schubert tends to be a difficult composer to interpret, and where he was a transitional composer between Viennese Classicism and Romanticism, he can go either way (or both), and it's not as much of a chronological matter, but seems more related to his particular mood while composing a piece. In the opening the spirit there is actually alla marcia, although not marked as such, and I believe you established that well with your strict adherence to the dotted rhythms. You demonstrate control over the dynamics and shadings throughout the piece. I like how you play the Alberti figurations in the base while emphasizing the melodies. You varied the touches nicely. (In my rendition I took heat here for not playing staccato, but where there is a little staccato, the vast majority of those markings are played either pizzicato by tradition or portato per the notation, but I didn't feel like fighting it. :wink: ) There are some bass counterpoint figures which you etched carefully. At the coda the half-note octaves need to take on the sound of a trumpet, and you managed that too. This is a fine performance! Congratulations!

David

4. jlr43

Technical Editor
    Last Name:
    Renouf
    First Name:
    Joe
    Thanks, Didier! I'm glad you liked my interpretations.

As I noted in the post on the variations, I would very much like to send you some unprocessed material and plan to for the next thing I record. The only reason I didn't for these is I was close to finishing and I didn't want to undo what I had done. But I've heard you described as the audio expert around here, so I'm looking forward to sending you my next thing :)

Thanks again,

Joe

5. jlr43

Technical Editor
    Last Name:
    Renouf
    First Name:
    Joe
    Hi David,

Thanks for listening and for the kind words. I agree with you about the more classical sound. I was probably influenced heavily there by listening a lot in my youth to Rachmaninoff. :p

Joe

6. Bruce Siegel

Bruce Siegel New Member

private piano teacher
    Home Page:
    http://doctorkeys.com/piano-blog/
    Joe, this is fine playing, and these are a pleasure to listen to. I particularly like the way the right hand "sings" and shapes the melody in the third one. Maybe the left hand is a tad uneven at times in that piece, or could be even further subdued, but these are small points.

Very sensitively done!

Bruce

7. jlr43

Technical Editor
    Last Name:
    Renouf
    First Name:
    Joe
    Thanks for listening and for the compliments, Bruce. Do you mean the accompaniments in the right hand? Only asking because No. 3 has very little except octaves and chords in the left hand except in a couple of places, but I agree that the accompaniments could be further subdued in places.

Joe

8. Bruce Siegel

Bruce Siegel New Member

private piano teacher
    Home Page:
    http://doctorkeys.com/piano-blog/
    Sorry about that. :oops: Yes—the right hand. (I just looked at the score). That's pretty funny! I've never played this, and listening to your recording, I figured that the left hand was playing ALL the accompaniment notes, and thought—boy that left hand part is hard!

Well, that's a tribute really, to how well you played the melody. You "sing" it so beautifully that I had the impression your RH didn't have a care in the world other than to plunk out a melody note now and then. :)

9. musicrecovery

musicrecovery Member Piano Society Artist

Special Ed/Music Teacher NYC (Retired)
    Home Page:
    Last Name:
    Rochelle
    First Name:
    Kaila
    http://specialneedsinmusic.com/
    Re: Schubert - Impromptu in A-flat Major, D899, Op. 90

Hi Joe,

You create some very nice nuances at the beginning of phrases once you get past the opening.
    Why not play the first note of the first few phrases using a softer approach.

There are many wonderful aspects to your playing.  I am used to hearing this piece played a tad slower,
    but your interpretation is very valid and dramatic. Thank you for sharing such interesting playing.

-Kaila