Thank you to those who donated to Piano Society in 2017.

Scarlatti - Sonata in E Major, K.380

Discussion in 'Submission Room' started by pianolady, Sep 21, 2014.

1. pianolady

pianolady Monica Hart, Administrator Staff Member Piano Society Artist Trusted Member

Last Name:
    Hart
    First Name:
    Monica
    This is a redo. I've had this piece in my memory for a long time and figured I might as well video-record it. But like always, I just can't get it quite right when making a video. One trill comes out okay here, but then comes out bad there, and so forth. And the longer I attempted to record, the worse it got. So I just went with this, although it's not perfect. Maybe my sound is better on this recording, though? I used only minimal editing this time and did not use the noise-reduction feature.

here is the video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U0A-gpw ... fVnX5BuRtg

2. hreichgott

hreichgott New Member

Monica, this is so nice, and a huge improvement over the earlier recording. Your vision for the piece has really developed, and you have a lovely sense of flow in it now. Sometimes when we are recording we get caught up in minutiae and I'd encourage you not to worry. I heard nothing to complain about in any of the trills anyhow. Great recording.

3. pianolady

pianolady Monica Hart, Administrator Staff Member Piano Society Artist Trusted Member

Last Name:
    Hart
    First Name:
    Monica
    Thank you, Heather! I'm glad you think this is an improvement. :D I've been playing this piece for a long time now and just sort of go with flow...like my fingers are on automatic pilot--I can't play it any other way now, and I really wasn't sure if my style was acceptable or not.

4. troglodyte

troglodyte Member Piano Society Artist Trusted Member

Professor
    Last Name:
    Parrow
    First Name:
    Joachim
    I don't recall your earlier recording, but this sounds very nice! And the sound is great!

Joachim

5. techneut

techneut Active Member Piano Society Artist

Last Name:
    Breemer
    First Name:
    Chris
    Very good indeed, and no muffled sound here. Certainly better then my slipshod version which was recorded on a whim.
    Some little points to improve concern rhythm and timing (for which I am apparently very sensitive).
    - At the start the pauses between the phrases are too long, breaking the rhythm. I probably griped about that the first time too.
    - The dotted figures are too lazy, more like triplets. They need to be sharp and snappy.
    - I feel some very slight rushing in places especially around the "horn signals".

6. RSPIll

RSPIll New Member

Church Musician, Choral Accompanist, Musical Theat
    Monica, dear,

I never heard that earlier version, that I recall. You do a great job and have performed this well. My only comment is to let yourself go. The brightness of this piece calls for some bit of abandoning your self and let it flow. Forget the friggen trills (which I think that you did beautifully). Here, you have placed everything so meticulously. Forget meticulous and go for the gusto and this will be FABULOUS.

This piece is a fanfare. It is announcing royalty. I don't know the date for this particular piece, but it was either written for the Infanta of Portugal, or the Queen of Spain. Scarlatti had a good life in those two courts. He would not write a fanfare just because he had to. He would write a fanfare to gloriously announce the presence of his King and Queen.

Just some thoughts.

Scott

7. pianolady

Last Name:
    Hart
    First Name:
    Monica
    Chris - Yes, I believe you did say something about the gaps between my phrases before. I can't help it, it's just how I want it to go. I don't think I'm playing the dotted figures like triplets. And I don't hear any rushing either. But thank you for listening...I'll pay attention to those things next time I play this piece.

Scott dear.. :) Thank you for listening. I've heard several versions where a pianist plays this piece much more subdued. But I too think this piece is fanfare-ish. I tried to play it that way...with a little more energy. I'm glad you said the trills came out okay. I do think they are very important here and that they should be meticulous. I used to shy away from pieces with too many trills because my trills usually stink. Once in awhile they go alright though. Wish I could be more consistent...