Thank you to those who donated to Piano Society in 2017.

Scarlatti Sonata in B minor K. 27

Discussion in 'Submission Room' started by Chopinesque, Feb 5, 2009.

1. Chopinesque

Chopinesque New Member

Systems Developer
    This is my first attempt at recording and I'm rather embarrassed to post it here, but I need to get used to being criticized so that I can improve my playing.

I’m aware that my control of tempo is rather terrible and this aspect requires more work. Please let me know if you have any criticisms or suggestions.

Thanks.

2. pianolady

pianolady Monica Hart, Administrator Staff Member Piano Society Artist Trusted Member

Last Name:
    Hart
    First Name:
    Monica
    Hi,

Overall, I think your style is fine. I think you should bring out those top cross-over notes a little more. They can hardly be heard. Also, I am not crazy about the very dry staccatos. There are slurs with them so they should be a bit smoother - not as detached. Maybe applying some pedal there will work.

3. techneut

techneut Active Member Piano Society Artist

Last Name:
    Breemer
    First Name:
    Chris
    For a first recording, quite good really. Nothing to be embarrassed of, and not much wrong with your control of tempo - even though your speed is not quite consistent. The couple of ritardandos sound idiomatic and are in good taste. No wrong notes that I could hear. The sound is very good and the playing, while not optimal yet, would be sufficient for the site - though perhaps you'll want to work on it a bit more. Some points where you can improve:

1) Be careful with the damper pedal. There are some ugly blurs, especially in the beginning.
    2) Use a firmer touch to avoid inaudible notes. Learn to treat weak and inaudible notes as mistakes.
    3) Work on more even touch and simultaneous attack.
    4) Don't cut off the track immediately after the last note. Let the sound die out and then wait 1-2 seconds more.

You sound a bit taxed in the last few bars of each half. THis l;argely accounts for the varying tempi. Try to get these more fluent and secure, and work on the repeated notes which sound a bit insecure.

Hope this helps you.

4. Chopinesque

Chopinesque New Member

Systems Developer
    Thank you very much for your comments. My edition (Stainer & Bell, revised by Christopher Kite) doesn't have any slurs. Please could you let me know which bars you are referring to?

5. Chopinesque

Chopinesque New Member

Systems Developer
    Thank you techneut for your advice - I will work on it for a few weeks and might post it again once I've got rid of the main problems.

6. juufa72

juufa72 New Member Piano Society Artist

Last Name:
    Grocholski
    First Name:
    Julius
    take a listen to professional recordings of this sonata, and then borrow from what you feel that they did a good job with and tailor it to your playing abilities. I am sure, then, with a bit of practice and memorization you will make this sonata sing.

7. pianolady

pianolady Monica Hart, Administrator Staff Member Piano Society Artist Trusted Member

Last Name:
    Hart
    First Name:
    Monica
    Hi again,
    I found the score on our own site and also on IMSLP. They are one in the same. Here is a link:

http://pianosociety.com/cms/files/resou ... 36_450.pdf

The measures I am referring to are #26 and 62. I realize that these may be editorial markings and not what Scarlatti himself wrote, but to me, the way you played sounded a bit too dry and choppy. Do have any reverb in the recording? Sometimes that makes things sound better. And please remember, this is just my opinion and others may vary. Listening to professional recordings is a good idea. You can also listen to a couple we have right here on Piano Society. Try the one by R. Smullyan. It's very good.

8. Chopinesque

Chopinesque New Member

Systems Developer
    Yes, good point - it's much better without so much detachment, particularly as I find find these bars rather difficult and I'm rather exposed there.

I've downloaded all the Audacity software and plug-ins but can't get the reverb to work properly yet - it's all really blurred. However, I've found a setting in my Clavinova to alter the string resonance depth and this might also help make it sound less dry next time. Anyway - I think I have to work harder rather than try to hide the mistakes :)

9. StuKautsch

StuKautsch Member Piano Society Artist

Software Developer
    Last Name:
    Kautsch
    First Name:
    Stewart
    good start

Recording can be daunting and you might want to tackle something a little easier just to get used to the pressure of having to get it "right" from beginning to end.

I agree with Monica that the recordings of this piece on the site are very good - after hearing them I bought the sheet music to play around with and got familiar with it. The recording is better than you might think it is, but somehow does not sound "confident" at this point - probably just the hesitation that the presence of a mic induces.

The default settings in GVerb are pretty crazy. If you search the forums on this site you can find some sample settings from members. It takes some experimentation. I lost the ones that I had worked out when my last computer died, or I'd volunteer them. I just reinstalled it myself but have not had the heart to start playing with it again.

10. pianolady

Last Name:
    Hart
    First Name:
    Monica
    Stu (and Chopinesque), I did save the Gverb settings offered by other members. PM me if you don't feel like searching for them on the forum. But an even easier way is to go with Wavepad. That's what I do - it's another editing program and very easy use.