Thank you to those who donated to Piano Society in 2017.

Scarlatti (only - grrr)

Discussion in 'Submission Room' started by pianolady, Oct 1, 2009.

1. felipesarro

felipesarro New Member

System Analyst, for now
    we must never feel pain while playing (only if it's an expressive marking on the score! :lol: )

and I know the middle position of the wrist is overall good (though we can see both Brahms and Liszt, in pictures, playing with wrists high).

but now I was thinking...
    I think that high wrists help playing forte, while low ones help playing piano. so... if you want to play pianissimo trills, maybe a little low wrist would help.

regarding forte trills (which are a lot easier), we can do the movement in the forearms, not the fingers themselves. you know... while playing an octave tremolo, we do not need to move any finger: just make your fingers firm as iron and slightly shake (rotate) your arms (including wrist, of course).
    this can be done for trills also, and it's almost nothing tiresome. but only works for forte trills, I think. (I just checked... I can only do this if my wrist is high). I used this to play the entire Suicide in an Airplane.

was I clear? :oops:

2. pianolady

pianolady Monica Hart, Administrator Staff Member Piano Society Artist Trusted Member

Last Name:
    Hart
    First Name:
    Monica
    well, I think I know what you mean. It's like playing little baby tremolos. I do this often for trills by using my 1 and 2 fingers, or 1 and 3 fingers. This technique works especially well after several cups of coffee! :wink: :lol: I think I could probably do it softly too - not sure though - will have to do some experimenting when I get to my piano.

3. felipesarro

felipesarro New Member

System Analyst, for now
    this is a good technique, and you may move no fingers at all.
    I think it's possible for doing it soft also...

the thing is... I'd like to achieve a really pianissimo soft trill... this is something very difficult, and I don't know if this technique works for it. hehe

I think it depends on the piano mechanism also.

4. pianolady

pianolady Monica Hart, Administrator Staff Member Piano Society Artist Trusted Member

Last Name:
    Hart
    First Name:
    Monica
    Definitely it depends on the mechanism. Trilling on electric pianos is so much easier, in a way. The light action, or practically no action at all makes for super-speedy trills. However, that is hard too because you have to control that speed. But I just came home from an exercise class called "MuscleMax" and now I can hardly move my arms. They feel like lead weights so forget about trying to play piano today - grrrr - and I thought exercising was supposed to be good for you! :x

5. musicusblau

musicusblau Administrator Staff Member Piano Society Artist Trusted Member

High-school-teacher with subjects music and german
    Last Name:
    Pfaul
    First Name:
    Andreas
    Well, the trills are not too bad, may be they could be a bit preciser here and there, but one only does hear it and pays attention to it, if you tell it so pretty as you done for us all above. :wink:
    (I think, only a long and intensive separate practising of each problematic trill does help in such "difficult cases".)

It´s a great performance, very clear and expressive and it has some very beautiful lyrical moments in it. I have completely enjoyed it. Thank you for posting this lovely piece.

6. mgasilva

mgasilva New Member

Physician
    Monica, thanks for correcting me about the spelling of power cord! :) You know for us Portuguese speakers it's always easy to put an extra "h" here and there.

I was sure though, I had read about power chords somewhere. Being always curious as I am, after some research I learned that a power cHord actually has something to do with music; apparently it's a chord consisting only of the tonic and the fifth degree of a scale, hence neither major nor minor. It's allegedly used by heavy metal guitar players, and it's supposed to sound well on a guitar with lots of distortion. Maybe I recall Pink Floyd or Van Halen doing that, yeah, that's right!

On the trills again, I'm sure everyone who did Hanon here is familiar with Talberg's trill, which goes something ike 13231323132313231323132.... Does anyone actually do that?

7. pianolady

Last Name:
    Hart
    First Name:
    Monica
    Thank you, Andreas. I agree about practicing trills for specific parts. I did that with my Bach Aria since all you Bach people would listen for things like that. :) And it actually did help and I could probably play my trills much better if I would take the time to isolate and practice them very deliberately. I'm just so impatient though....

Marcelo - I was practicing a Liszt piece not long ago where he (I think) wrote in a fingering like that on a trill. It worked all right but was hard to get it to stick with me - I kept reverting back to regular fingering. It is very interesting to me to learn about alternate trill fingering, so thanks for mentioning that.

Regarding that cord-chord thing - I did not know about a power chord before. I can't really hear that kind of distorted chord playing in Pink Floyd, but yes definitely in Van Halen - also Metallica.

8. hyenal

hyenal New Member Piano Society Artist

Ph.D student
    Last Name:
    Lee
    First Name:
    Hye-Jin
    Marcelo and Sarah, have thanks for your detailed and helpful answers. Some days ago I ordered a digital piano (KAWAI CA 71) and when I tested one at a store, the keyboard seemed very similar with one of a good grand. Doesn't it have an escapement level? :roll: (because you mentioned V-piano, Marcelo...)

9. mgasilva

mgasilva New Member

Physician
    I wouldn't know about that particular digital Piano. I think you'll have to test that for yourself and then please tell us so we know! Thanks in advance.