Thank you to those who donated to Piano Society in 2017.

Saint-Saëns

Discussion in 'Submission Room' started by techneut, Dec 14, 2008.

1. techneut

techneut Active Member Piano Society Artist

Last Name:
    Breemer
    First Name:
    Chris
  2. wiser_guy

wiser_guy Member Piano Society Artist Trusted Member

System Software Engineer
    Last Name:
    Assimakopoulos
    First Name:
    Pantelis
    Very nice both. Your clear and unmannered playing helps enormously one to get an objective picture of this music.
    I prefer the Valse more, but I also admire your ending on the Op.85. Very patient and calm, very natural.

3. chopinman0901

chopinman0901 New Member

These are wonderful pieces, and wonderful performances as well. I know very little about Saint-Saens, but these recordings have encouraged me to research him and his music. It seems quite clear now that he was Faure's teacher, but I still don't really get why he and Debussy were such enemies.

I too like the Valse better, but only in terms of the piece, not the quality of the performance. Now I feel compelled to print it out from IMSLP. If only you could know that amount of ink that website has made me buy..... haha.

Great job!

4. pianolady

pianolady Monica Hart, Administrator Staff Member Piano Society Artist Trusted Member

Last Name:
    Hart
    First Name:
    Monica
    Les Cloches - I’ve never heard this but it’s pretty. I like the middle part where the melody line is in the middle. The end is a little unexpected – sounds like he ends it on the dominant instead of the tonic.

Valse - I love this piece and listen to it often on my ipod. It’s played by Saint-Saens, himself, so if you want it, let me know - although it’s probably too late since you already have this one down. Very nice job on it too. Beautiful!

Same here! :lol:

5. felipesarro

felipesarro New Member

System Analyst, for now
    I think I like Les Cloches best, hehehe.

nice playing.

6. techneut

Last Name:
    Breemer
    First Name:
    Chris
    Thanks all for the comments. Yes the Valse is a better piece than the Cloches, which is the sort of piece he could probably pen down between breakfast and morning coffee and still have time to spare. Still, I can't help liking it. I am pretty content with how these two came out, apart from from some weak notes in the Valse and an uneven trill in the Cloches. Ah well, seems like there is always something to gripe about when listening back.

I think that was mainly because of Debussy being an arrogant, acerbic SOAB. I would like to think Saint-Saens had a friendlier character and a more urbane attitude.

7. Syeles

Syeles New Member

retired
    The colors are so delightfully French. Your delicate performance including subtle dynamics brings out both the hues and the underlying emotion.

8. techneut

Last Name:
    Breemer
    First Name:
    Chris
    Yay, thanks Albert. I suppose having an authentic French instrument helps. I was always told it was especially suitable for French music.

9. Syeles

Syeles New Member

retired
    Cool. I missed that. Do tell about this piano.
    By the way, do you think this would sound more profound in Latin... rhythm? :wink:

10. musicusblau

musicusblau Administrator Staff Member Piano Society Artist Trusted Member

High-school-teacher with subjects music and german
    Last Name:
    Pfaul
    First Name:
    Andreas
    Bravo, Chris! I didn´t listen with score here, so no nitpickings this time :wink: . I have to say, you seem truely to have talent for this french music. It sounds clear like perls of glass, expressive, but not too light and sweet. I think, that´s just the right way to play this music. Especially I like the "Cloches du Soir". Very good and musical performance and your Gaveau is lovely and its sound fits very well to this kind of music.

11. StuKautsch

StuKautsch Member Piano Society Artist

Software Developer
    Last Name:
    Kautsch
    First Name:
    Stewart
    The valse is wonderful. Because I'm at work, I had to save it to my disk and listen to it several times. You play it wonderfully, and it takes on a little bit of a dreamy character.

The dreamy character is reinforced by the level of reverb, which (in my earphones, at least) makes it sound like it is recorded in a rather large empty room. I'd be interested in hearing the piece with less reverb, too, but I guess that's what printed music is for!

If it wasn't for you, I would not have know that Saint-Saens had 110 opuses. I'll have to start filling in these rather large holes in my music lit education.

12. techneut

Last Name:
    Breemer
    First Name:
    Chris
    Thanks Stu and Andreas. I should really play more French music. So much to do...
    As for the reverb, it's exactly the same as usual (Concert Hall Light).