Thank you to those who donated to Piano Society in 2017.

Roberto Carnevale Compositions

Discussion in 'Submission Room' started by neopoiesis, Sep 27, 2008.

1. neopoiesis

neopoiesis New Member Piano Society Artist

Last Name:
    Carnevale
    First Name:
    Roberto
  2. techneut

techneut Active Member Piano Society Artist

Last Name:
    Breemer
    First Name:
    Chris
    I mostly like the Noli for its fascinating sonorities and rhythmic vitality. What does it mean, Noli ? Any information at all would be useful because I have no idea how to categorize this or what to write about it.

The BGV aria I just do not understand, like the other BGV pieces. Bach seen through a lens of broken glass. I cannot honestly say I see the beauty or purpose of it.

Roberto, if you intend to post the complete BGV< why not do it in one posting ? That would be far less work for us.

BTW - You did not get back to me about this truncated BGV item. I PM'ed you about it.

3. neopoiesis

neopoiesis New Member Piano Society Artist

Last Name:
    Carnevale
    First Name:
    Roberto
    Noli & BGV

Dear Chris:
    NOLI in latin is NOT. Noli is dedicated to Maurizio Pollini. I composed Noli in 1995. It is a single piece, not structuralist like BGVs.
    The BGVs was composed in 1991-1992; I composed the first series for Accademia Chigiana festival in Siena. The BGVs are dedicated to Franco Donatoni (my teacher). In each Variation I elaborate the gesture from Bach-Goldberg. Bach elaborated a ground not the Aria; I have elaborated each variation, each musical gesture, each harmonic polarization... The BGVs was awarded by Accaemia Chigiana (Diploma d'Onore); in the commission there were: Donatoni, Ennio orricone, Achucarro, Dusapin e Boulez. My composition style is postweberniano but also postminimalist. Sorry for my terrible english!
    ciao,
    Rob

4. techneut

Last Name:
    Breemer
    First Name:
    Chris
    Your English is not so terrible, in any case bettter than my Italian :wink:
    Participating in a forum like this could be a way to improve your English skills.

I'll put Noli up the site tonight, unless someone else does it first. So it means "NOT". A strange title ! Because it seems a positive and life-affirming piece and not as arid to the ear as some of your post-webern compositions. Did Pollini ever play it ?

If illustrious musicians like Donatoni and Boulez think highly of the BGV it must be good, at least from a theoretical point of view. Whether many people actually like this rigorous kind of music, I have my doubts. In recent years, composers have collectively realized that it's tunes the people want, not intellectual excercises. These pieces come as a bit of a shock after your luminous Chopin, Bach and Scarlatti recordings.

5. techneut

Last Name:
    Breemer
    First Name:
    Chris
    .... and NOLI is up the site too. Please check if all is in order.