DONATION STATUS
Needed before 2016-12-31
$ 2,500
So far donated
$ 860

Robert Poortiga sonata in c

Discussion in 'Submission Room' started by johnmar78, Dec 17, 2006.

1. johnmar78

johnmar78 New Member Piano Society Artist

Food chemist / pianist
    Home Page:
    Last Name:
    Mar
    First Name:
    John
    Poortinga's Sonata in C - my interpretation. Feedback welcome! :)

2. MindenBlues

MindenBlues New Member Piano Society Artist

Home Page:
    Last Name:
    Schmidt
    First Name:
    Olaf
    I like your playing of that.

And I admire everyone who starts the adventure and the effort to compose and produces sheets of that. But to be honest, that composition is really very plain from the musical content. Don't get me wrong, it sounds nice to me and one is of course spoiled by all the musical geniuses from former centuries who put jewels in even miniature pieces. I also would not call that a sonata. If a second part follows, it could be a sonatina however. Nevertheless, every great composer started little by little, and here we see a good start!

3. rachmaninoff

rachmaninoff New Member Piano Society Artist

Last Name:
    Poortinga
    First Name:
    Robert
    thanks minden,

I wanted to make a very simple but gentle piece. I think that I did a good job for a simple and gentle piece. The second part (also uploaded) is very lovely played exact the same way as I wanted

thanks for playing this john

gr,

robert

4. MindenBlues

MindenBlues New Member Piano Society Artist

Home Page:
    Last Name:
    Schmidt
    First Name:
    Olaf
    Yes, I agree, both are gentle pieces and it must be a great feeling if someone else interprets own compositions. And I did not knew that both pieces are anyhow connected so that they belong together.

5. robert

robert New Member Piano Society Artist

Home Page:
    Last Name:
    Stahlbrand
    First Name:
    Robert
    Well played and I believe that we should allow beginner's pieces as well. Not meaning that you are John. I had an idea to make the entire set of Burgmüllers etüdes for children op.101 a couple of years ago. Very few recordings of them out there.

6. johnmar78

Food chemist / pianist
    Home Page:
    Last Name:
    Mar
    First Name:
    John

I played this when i was 10 ....Burgmuller 101, should I dig it out??? I still got the book, its still in a good condition.

7. techneut

techneut Active Member Piano Society Artist

Last Name:
    Breemer
    First Name:
    Chris
    Not a bad idea, especially if they are musically worthwhile as well. I have been thinking about doing the Bartok "For Children" cycles but did not get around to it yet. Some fascinating pieces in there. Same for Mikrokosmos. My set of 10 Easy Pieces, though quite carelessly played, seems to be a very popular download, which shows that there definitely is a need for recordings of beginner's music.

8. johnmar78

Food chemist / pianist
    Home Page:
    Last Name:
    Mar
    First Name:
    John
    i got one bartork in my kids playing(exams). its grade three level. we get grade 1-8 here and diploma/fellowship of australia/degree/master/phd. This just an idea when I said grade 3, means begining to moderate level.

9. PJF

PJF New Member Piano Society Artist

Last Name:
    Fournet
    First Name:
    Pierre
    This is definitely a sonatina (or the A section of a sonata's first mvt.); sonatas are far more expansive. I wanted to hear some ornaments or some register changes. Very simple and enjoyable.

Pete

10. rachmaninoff

rachmaninoff New Member Piano Society Artist

Last Name:
    Poortinga
    First Name:
    Robert
    well,

because it has been played so nice... could it be on the site? with the andante?

11. techneut

techneut Active Member Piano Society Artist

Last Name:
    Breemer
    First Name:
    Chris
    Yes it is played well, no doubt about it. I had expected no less from pianist who's recorded Chopin 10-1 :)

I don't really want to decide if this goes up the site or not - I am rather more critical of submitted compositions than many others around here, and I am not qualified to comment on compositorial issues anyway. I think I'll have to leave that up to Robert.

12. robert

robert New Member Piano Society Artist

Home Page:
    Last Name:
    Stahlbrand
    First Name:
    Robert
    After some discussions how to deal with compositions by members, we have decided that a member composer must at least have one recording up before he/she can uploaded a composition and become a member composer. But from that, the composition must be a significant in some way, have good sound quality, not have too many slips etc. (as with recordings).

For this specific composition there is no problems regarding sound quality and how it is played but I do believe that this composition is too simple when it comes to musical idea and structure. I must admit that when it was submitted, I had no idea that this was a composition by "rachmaninoff" of this forum. I thought it was an exercise for beginners of some kind. Now Poortinga, do not take this wrong but as an encouraging post that will make you try even harder :wink:.