Thank you to those who donated to Piano Society in 2017.

Religion

Discussion in 'General' started by PJF, Oct 25, 2007.

1. rsmullyan

rsmullyan New Member Piano Society Artist

Mathematician, Musician, Magician & Author
    Last Name:
    Smullyan
    First Name:
    Raymond
    I love the following true incident:The philosopher and psychologist William James once asked a little boy if he knew what faith is. The boy replied:
    "Yeah. Faith means believing something you know ain't true."

Raymond

2. PJF

PJF New Member Piano Society Artist

Last Name:
    Fournet
    First Name:
    Pierre
    Just a point to ponder:

Every single atom in our bodies helium on up was born in the center of a star. Elements heavier than iron were made in supernovae.

Are we mere stardust, or is there something else?

3. Terez

Terez New Member

Student
    I believe that we have the potential to make ourselves more than stardust, and that we do so on different levels every day, with things like....playing piano! I don't believe that much good comes of assuming that we already are more than what we are made of, granted by a higher power, but only after death.

4. pianolady

pianolady Monica Hart, Administrator Staff Member Piano Society Artist Trusted Member

Last Name:
    Hart
    First Name:
    Monica
    Well, that explains why people call me 'spacey'. :lol: My sons like to call me a 'space-cadet'.

5. PJF

Last Name:
    Fournet
    First Name:
    Pierre
    I believe it is our duty to try to amount to more than the sum of our parts. Ironically, some choose to focus solely on an afterlife, while completely neglecting the stupidly obvious moral demands of this life.

Eye on the ball, people! :x

Pete

6. demonic_advent

demonic_advent New Member

Last Name:
    Mansi
    First Name:
    Chris
    I hope I don't sound too pessimistic right now, but here it goes:

I really want to have a strong faith in God. Really!!! I was raised a roman catholic, and recently confirmed a roman catholic.

However, my more intellectual side tells me this:

God is merely a fictitious coping device, used to help us overcome our fears of mortality. If we were immortal, I highly doubt there would be any God in the equation. Sadly, I believe that God is a human creation, and religion a mere blindfold that tries to blind us from the truth.

However, I REALLY don't want to believe this. I really want to believe the Catholic faith...

It's just difficult. :cry:

7. PJF

Last Name:
    Fournet
    First Name:
    Pierre
    I too desperately wish there is a God. Wouldn't it be wondrous?!

Pete

8. demonic_advent

Last Name:
    Mansi
    First Name:
    Chris
    Yes it would be!!!

I actually begin to feel naseous when I think of what death must be.

Just absolute nothingness... I can't even begin to comprehend it.

And it scares me. :cry:

9. PJF

Last Name:
    Fournet
    First Name:
    Pierre
    Don't let it scare you, for it is inevitable! Consider the following:

If there is no God, you will simply return to the state you were in before you were born, (13 billion years passed in an instant because you weren't there to watch the clock. Eternity will pass instantly after you are gone.)

If there is a God, it will be of great value to have an honest rapport with Him. Beg to transcend the constraints of human limits. If He is there, He will love you.

Either way, BE GOOD! That is the point. Don't sin, do good for your fellow human. Be humble in your humanity.

Father Corapi:
    This is a wonderful man, even my semi-atheistic self is always moved by his powerful messages. He transcends mere religion to approach the ultimate truth.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pTHmn13v7Ts

Pete

10. demonic_advent

Last Name:
    Mansi
    First Name:
    Chris
    But I don't like the idea of eternity passing in the blink of an eye.

I'm sorry to say I like life.

But trust me, I would never use my doubts as an opportunity for sin.

11. rsmullyan

Last Name:
    Smullyan
    First Name:
    Raymond
    Demonic Advent.

A s I once said to a teenage relative of mine:" Why should I worry about my dying? It's not going to happen in my lifetime! " Assuming there is no afterlife (an unsubstantiated assumptlon, by the way) your death is nothing that will happen to you; your death is something which will be an event to others!

Raymond

12. demonic_advent

Last Name:
    Mansi
    First Name:
    Chris
    I suppose so... but the nothingness that may follow is just a frightening prospect to me.

Also... whilst having no afterlife may be unsubstanstiated, I would think that there being an afterlife is also an unsubstanstiated claim.

Nobody's gone there and come back to tell us what its like.

13. rsmullyan

Last Name:
    Smullyan
    First Name:
    Raymond
    Dear Advent.

I totally agree that from a purely scientific point of view, there is not the slightest bit of evidence either for or against the existence of an afterlife.

As for your fear of nothingness, you seem to totally forget that you won't be aware of the nothingness!

Raymond

14. demonic_advent

Last Name:
    Mansi
    First Name:
    Chris
    True... but I am aware now... and the present is scary enough without having to worry about the future.

15. Terez

Terez New Member

Student
    DA....this man is 88 years old or something and he's not scared! Follow his example. ;)

16. demonic_advent

Last Name:
    Mansi
    First Name:
    Chris
    Easier said than done.

Unfortunatly... I'm just afraid of a lot of things... and it's not always easy to conquer fear.

17. rsmullyan

Last Name:
    Smullyan
    First Name:
    Raymond
    Dear Charlie

I can well understand your fear of death, my only point is that it is not realistic-- it is somewhat like a child's fear of the bogey man. The fear, of course is real; the bogey man is not. Despite the irrationality of the fear of death, it is quite natural, and probably has survival value. And so I suggest that instead of trying to get rid of your fear, you simply embrace it and have a good laugh over it!

18. demonic_advent

Last Name:
    Mansi
    First Name:
    Chris
    Hmmm... well I suppose we should just leave it at that.

No point in my depressing everybody who comes to this forum...

Back to a happy matter:

So how about that Rachmainoff? Is he something or what? :D

19. chopinman0901

chopinman0901 New Member

I too have this depressing feeling overcome me when I think about death, because I personally feel that there is nothing after it. It's so... weird (shudders).

As for religion itself, I probably am not mature enough to say I'm an atheist, but I do not believe in any form of a god. For some reason I still consider myself Jewish like the rest of my family, but I don't really believe in the spiritual aspect of it, more of the ideas like "do not steal," "be kind to those around you," and that sort of thing. I have to admit, though, having holidays - whether I celebrate them or not - always makes me kind of happy. For example, even though I don't celebrate it, I always get a great, warm, loving feeling when Christmas comes. I also am guilty of often using phrases like "Oh my God" even though I don't believe in any god, so don't get mad at that or anything.

I believe that the processes of science are strictly responsible for the creation of the universe (e.g. the Big Bang), and that humans have come about naturally. I find it kind of disapointing that people don't take credit for their achievements in life or how beneficial some situations turn out, instead giving credit to (in my belief) a nonexistent omniscient being. I feel that all of the progress on Earth has been made by the creatures on it. Knowing a little bit about quantum mechanics and the seemingly unrelated existentialism, I do not believe in destiny and feel that some things happen for no reason because nothing in life is completely predictable.

Religion seems to be the root cause of many problems in the world, and I'm sure many of you would agree. Obviously many wars have been fought over religion, but it's caused much of the high need for political correctness these days. Now Muslim extremists are killing hundreds of people in the name of their god, and I believe this shows how corrupt the entire institution and idea of religion has become. Why are we all fighting and arguing over something there is no proof for, when science explains and prooves many things more than adequately?

Now, it seems like President Bush has ushered in a reign of right wing religious zealots who force their religion (which is, and I hope this doesn't offend anyone, mostly Christianity) upon America. I know some of you might respond, "If you don't believe in it, don't listen," but religion should be a private matter. People like Ann Coulter disgust me (Google her or search her on YouTube to see some of the idiotic things she has said, like that Jews need to be perfected to be as great as Christians). For any Americans reading this, I find it atrocious that Mitt Romney is only being judged on his belief in Mormonism, and that religion has to be one of the first things people look at when considering a presidential candidate. My ideal president would be an atheist, and would therefore not have any prejudices or biases concerning things like gay rights and abortion rights, which are being influenced largely based on a country's predominant religion. I know that here in America it could be a while before the aforementioned rights will become actual rights because they are against the Christian faith, which pretty much rules this country. It goes so much against the laws set down by American founders that religion and politics should not mix. It is such a shame that many decisions have to be made by people around the world not based on what they personally feel, but what a Bible, Torah, Qu'ran, priest, rabbi, imam, etc. tells them. It's as if religion is a way of controlling what everyone feels and believes.

Religion may have had good intentions thousands of years ago, but those purposes have since been corrupted and misused many times over. I can understand how ancient peoples needed a way to explain the world around them, but in this day and age of science, it seems kind of pointless obsolete. It seems highly probable that the world would be more peaceful and unified (not like totalitarian communist kind of unified) if people could finally let go of these beliefs that are unfortunately displayed too much and even more unfortunately shape who they are.

Well, sorry that that was so long. I hope at least one of you managed to make it this far without being bored to tears. I am truly sorry if I have offended anyone - please tell me if I have. I'm also sorry if I was focusing on the United States too much, but that's where I live and therefore have the most opinion about it.

I want to know what you think of this 15 year old high schooler's opinion.

20. demonic_advent

Last Name:
    Mansi
    First Name:
    Chris
    I agree completely.

So... How bout that Rachmaninoff? Anyone? :D