Thank you to those who donated to Piano Society in 2017.

Ravel - Sonatine

Discussion in 'Submission Room' started by pianolady, Oct 13, 2015.

1. StuKautsch

StuKautsch Member Piano Society Artist

Software Developer
    Last Name:
    Kautsch
    First Name:
    Stewart
    As you know, Monica, I listened to this a few weeks back and liked it. I don't remember all the particulars, but need to make a comment on this so I can see if I can once again login and make comments.
    For the sake of the other posters, I'll mention that I've been very familiar with this work all my life, so it was a somewhat-informed opinion. (I try to be honest about this.)
    So let's see what happens when I hit 'submit'.
    BTW: This is a "quick reply". I do not know the difference between that and "Post Reply".

2. musicusblau

musicusblau Administrator Staff Member Piano Society Artist Trusted Member

High-school-teacher with subjects music and german
    Last Name:
    Pfaul
    First Name:
    Andreas
    I'm sorry to hear - or better to read - about your wrist pain problens. Such problens often are caused by practising cramped respective tense in a way. I don't know, if this is the case with you, I just wanted to mention it. May be it can help you.

3. Rachfan

Rachfan Active Member Piano Society Artist

Chief Operating Officer, retired
    Last Name:
    April
    First Name:
    David
    Hi Monica,

I liked your rendition of the Sonatine a lot. In the "modere: there are moments of nostalgia, but Ravel makes them only bitter-sweet. The "minuet" is charming under your hands. You are also very careful so as not to allow the background to overpower the foreground. The "anime" is more difficult to execute and might be smoothed out a bit here or there, nevertheless your rendition is still convincing as is. I enjoyed hearing you play this wonderful piece.

David

4. pianolady

pianolady Monica Hart, Administrator Staff Member Piano Society Artist Trusted Member

Last Name:
    Hart
    First Name:
    Monica
    Hi David,
    Thank you very much! I hope you had a happy Thanksgiving!!

5. Rachfan

Rachfan Active Member Piano Society Artist

Chief Operating Officer, retired
    Last Name:
    April
    First Name:
    David
    Hi Monica,

Yes! We had a great Thanksgiving, and our daughter prepared the entire turkey dinner! I hope you had a good holiday as well.

David

6. 88man

88man Member Piano Society Artist

Last Name:
    Vosgerichian
    First Name:
    George
    Hi Monica, these sound fantastic. I haven't played much Ravel, but I love his rhythmic drive and unmistakable style. You've captured his essence beautifully here. As far as getting everything to fall smoothly, I think coherence is the final phase of playing/learning a piece that only comes with time - where all the individual elements and characteristics interact synergistically to merge and interact as a organic unit.

As an aside, I've found this to be the case too when voicing an instrument or speakers. First, get all the desired characteristics, then merge those individual attributes of (tone, timbre, attack, decay, sonority, etc.) by making individual tweaks to bind them into an organic unit that fits a particular taste. I do this with bypass components, and component selection.

I marvel how you make time to record. Since it's been a while for me on PS, I can hear your recorded sound has come a long way. I don't think one can improve too much more for home recording. Bravo!

7. pianolady

pianolady Monica Hart, Administrator Staff Member Piano Society Artist Trusted Member

Last Name:
    Hart
    First Name:
    Monica
    Oh George....I'm grateful you took time to listen to these Ravel pieces. They were hard for me, and like everybody says, in time I can probably get them better. But it's what you said about the sound that pleases me most! There have been a lot of changes in my life this year. I don't live in the same home anymore, so I'm sure my acoustics are different now. I'm still using my Adobe Audition editing program. Thank you again very much!!