Thank you to those who donated to Piano Society in 2017.

Ravel Gaspard de la nuit

Discussion in 'Submission Room' started by PinaNapolitano, May 16, 2009.

1. PinaNapolitano

PinaNapolitano New Member

pianist
    Sorry, I tried using the PM button, I don't know what happened, It was just to say I would like to wait for my recordings to be finished and professionally mastered before posting them permanently, which should be in June.
    Thanks again for the invitation to join.

2. camaysar

camaysar New Member

Musician
    Hello Pina,

I read so many good things about your Ravel that I thought I'd like to hear it. I really enjoyed both pieces. The opening of Ondine is fine to my ears - the melody is soft, but sounds right the way you play it. In this water piece you capture the image beautifully. I especially appreciate a certain quality you have... you can play in many degrees of piano (successively and at the same time) without lapsing into a mezzo forte. This is something quite uncommon among pianists. Vladimir dePachmann was known as a "pianissimist". Perhaps that might also be applied to yourself! (of course you are not limited to that dynamic.)

Le Gibet set a mood and kept it - well done!

James

3. PinaNapolitano

pianist
    Hi James,
    I just finished replying to your interesting post on the other page! I'm very happy that you liked the Ravel. Did you see the Scarbo as well? It is posted on page two, maybe I should have added it to the original list of recordings at the beginning, but I don't know how to do that. Anyway, I really thank you for the compliment!

4. camaysar

camaysar New Member

Musician
    Hi Pina,

First and foremost, you should be congratulated on your poised and controlled reading of this piece. My personal preferences don't mean much in the face of such an achievement. If you feel that you have given your finished interpretation, then you should be pleased. If you are seeking comments here towards moving further in the direction of perfection, I don't know how many Forum participants know this work from any standpoint but as a listener. I have not played it, and never will, as there is too much other music I place before it, and time is a factor. Of course it is a sort of non plus ultra, and is worthy of all the hard work one can put into it.

Some imbue Scarbo with more impish, mercurial energy and sharper outlines. But simply by virtue of your achievement, and your natural musicianship, you gave a thoroughly enjoyable performance. You remained true to your own style, as I am beginning to know it here. The entire extended quiet section from the recap (beginning with the repeated D sharps) was just wonderful. You really held the attention! But that's not the only place that had some very beautiful playing "a la Pina". Thanks for posting it!

Now, about that Barcarolle - hahaha!

5. PinaNapolitano

pianist
    Thanks again! I'm very happy it is less controversial than Chopin... For the moment I am happy with where Scarbo is (rather, tired of working on it!). This summer I will try to record it again perhaps, but not until then. I really enjoy Argerich's intepretation, which has the most engergy and impishness as you say. But after repeated listenings, it begins to tire me personally. Eventually I found myself more drawn to Michelangeli's (which by the way is perfectly metronomic!). I imagine I'm somewhere in the middle (the best of both worlds? or the benefits of neither..?) :wink:
    By the way, I think there is a lot of music that is much harder, I'm not sure Scarbo really deserves this reputation it has. In any case, we must all try to go forward and beyond, so I don't believe in any non plus ultra!

6. camaysar

camaysar New Member

Musician
    Well as a great pianist (Godowsky?) once said, "It's the pieces I can't play that are difficult!"

7. felipesarro

felipesarro New Member

System Analyst, for now
    I feel the same for Argerich's version.
    it's one of her best recordings, I think. It has energy. But not too much understanding of the score for repeated listenings.

Recently I have listened to an amazing version... by Samson François.
    this is by far my favorite recording. it is so full of meaning... so scaring!

give it a try:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XavwAVNmb04

8. PinaNapolitano

pianist
    Wow that François is fast! It's not really entirely in order though... There are a few strange things he does that I don't much care for, but it certainly has its effect in any case!

9. felipesarro

felipesarro New Member

System Analyst, for now
    Well... I do not have such a profound knowledge about this score... (I tried to play Scarbo, even slowly, and it's fiendishly difficult, too much beyond my actual technique!)
    but François has suddenly become my favorite version. it's so... scaring! hehehe