Thank you to those who donated to Piano Society in 2017.

RAVEL - Concérto en sol

Discussion in 'Submission Room' started by kjarschka, Jan 1, 2008.

1. kjarschka

kjarschka New Member Piano Society Artist

Last Name:
    Bertoglio
    First Name:
    Chiara
  2. techneut

techneut Active Member Piano Society Artist Trusted Member

Last Name:
    Breemer
    First Name:
    Chris
    That is not such a small present, Chiara !
    I do not have sufficient time to listen to these right now, but I have downloaded them and will
    play tomorrow. Knowing your standards, this should be very good and enjoyable.

3. juufa72

juufa72 New Member Piano Society Artist

Last Name:
    Grocholski
    First Name:
    Julius
    Never heard this one before. But I believe it is well played. The only thing I do not like is the fact that there are a few moments of clipping. (Especially at the end of the first movement)

It's an interesting concerto. It gives a new look on the styles prior to Ravel.

4. robert

robert Active Member Piano Society Artist Trusted Member

Home Page:
    Last Name:
    Stahlbrand
    First Name:
    Robert
    That present is not so small Chiara! Ravel's G major concerto is extremely difficult to play well and you do a magnificent job. Not that I ever been close to play it, but from what I have read and understood from my piano teacher (who has performed all Ravel's music during his concert career), the second part with the continuous flow with absolute no breaks is very very difficult.

The Piano Concerto was a long time in the making. Ravel started thinking about it in 1928 (at his visit to Oxford) after his return from America. He took it up again in 1929, but then broke off to write the Concerto for the left hand, then continued with in 1930, and completed it in 1931. Ravel saw this concerto as being in the spirit of Mozart and Saint-Saëns, light and brilliant and in contrast to those heavier classical concerti which he felt were written "against" rather than "for" the piano.

The recording is up on the site. If you wish to, you can add some information about the time of the event and participants in the orchestra.

5. techneut

Last Name:
    Breemer
    First Name:
    Chris
    This marvellously played as I had expected, up there with the best Ravelians.

But I cannot help complaining about the dismal sound. It sounds as if performed with a jazz combo in the next door bedroom, and recorded secretly with someone's mp3 player. Tell me it's not true !
    The sound is bone-dry and so low in volume that I could sometimes barely hear it on my laptop headphones.

You deserve playing this a concert hall with a great orchestra, and be professionally recorded !

6. kjarschka

kjarschka New Member Piano Society Artist

Last Name:
    Bertoglio
    First Name:
    Chiara
    Techneut.... WHO told you I recorded this Concerto with an mp3 recorder hidden in my bag?!?!?
    :) Tell me who told this... I'll kill him/her... :))))
    If you just guessed this... then please give me also a few hints about good horses to bet on...
    :))))

Yes, you are absolutely right... it was a pirate recording...
    I'd like very much to play it with a big orchestra... I adore this Concerto...
    Sorry for the bad quality! Warm hugs!!!!

7. techneut

Last Name:
    Breemer
    First Name:
    Chris
    A little bird told me. Please don't kill it :lol:

Oh, yesss....... :D :D :D

8. nathanscoleman

nathanscoleman New Member Piano Society Artist

Last Name:
    Coleman
    First Name:
    Nathan
    Very, very nice. I didn't mind the sound of orchestra too much until last movement, but the performance made up for it IMO. I thought you rocked the hell out of that first mvt, btw. Great listening!