Thank you to those who donated to Piano Society in 2017.

Rare music of Ernesto Nazareth

Discussion in 'Submission Room' started by lisztzsil, Jun 18, 2007.

1. lisztzsil

lisztzsil New Member Piano Society Artist

Last Name:
    Dias
    First Name:
    Alexandre
    Hello folks,
    Today I've recorded one of Nazareth's Schottisches: Gentil ("gentle"). It's a rather simple piece, full of tiptoeness. This musical gender was common in Brazil during the Belle Époque (transition between the 19th and 20th centuries), and it's sort of a slow polca.

Best wishes,
    Alexandre

Nazareth - Gentil

2. pianolady

pianolady Monica Hart, Administrator Staff Member Piano Society Artist Trusted Member

Last Name:
    Hart
    First Name:
    Monica
    This one is up, Alexandre. Sounded nice. Also, what is a Schottische?

3. lisztzsil

Last Name:
    Dias
    First Name:
    Alexandre
    Hi Monica, the Schottisch is a kind of slow polka, danced in pairs, and it arrived in Brazil in the late 19th century, brought by the Portuguese. Here in northeastern Brazil it evolved in a very unique way, culminating in today's xótis and forrós, whose most prominent author is Luiz Gonzaga. However, when Nazareth composed his Schottishes, the dance was more closely associated to the European tradition, although it was already a genre with Brazilian identities (many Brazilian composers of the period composed Schottisches, most notably Anacleto de Medeiros).

Wikipedia has a very interesting article on the genre, and through it I've learned that it spread from Bohemia to many countries, including Europe and America. It also says that it's one of Spain's most typical dances.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Schottische

Albeit the name, apparently it doesn't have relation with Scotland.

Cheers,
    Alexandre

4. pianolady

pianolady Monica Hart, Administrator Staff Member Piano Society Artist Trusted Member

Last Name:
    Hart
    First Name:
    Monica
    Hi Alexandre and thanks for the explanation. Although I find something funny in that Wiki article - it's this sentence:

Despite the name, this dance has no direct relation with Scotland. The word Schottische is from Germany , not Scotland (the Germans referred to it as Schottische, which means Scottish, for some reason).

:lol:

5. lisztzsil

Last Name:
    Dias
    First Name:
    Alexandre
    Yes, that's a bit incoherent and requires further diggin'!

6. Al-Mahed

Al-Mahed New Member

Hello everybody!

I'm new around here, and I love this site, very nice idea! I have in my iPod TONS of recordings from here :).

I'm a fan of Ernesto Nazareth, I think he is a true genious! Unfortunally is almost impossible to find the sheet music, perhaps Lizstsztil or other ppl have some of them to share. Although they're public domain I can find only few pieces at IMSLP.ORG and some avaiable pieces are blocked(???).

cheers

7. s_winitsky

s_winitsky Member Piano Society Artist Trusted Member

programmer
    Last Name:
    Winitsky
    First Name:
    Stan
    Last I checked you can find all of his works in pdf here:

http://www.ernestonazareth.com.br/a_obr ... php?area=1

Its a good site. I also like playing Nazareth.

I believe there is no copyright on his music anymore.

8. Al-Mahed

Al-Mahed New Member

THANK YOU!!!!!!! :D

9. pianolady

Last Name:
    Hart
    First Name:
    Monica
    Way to go, Stan! :)

10. lisztzsil

Last Name:
    Dias
    First Name:
    Alexandre
    Hello guys!

After 5 months without recording I'm back.

This is one of Nazareth's most profound pieces, called Mágoas ("Sorrows"), and subtitled "medidation". A lot of Chopin influences, and very different from his Brazilian Tangos and Waltzes. This piece has never been published, but you can see a modern edition of it here:
    http://www.ernestonazareth.com.br/pdfs/magoas.pdf

Best wishes,
    Alexandre

Nazareth - Mágoas

11. pianolady

Last Name:
    Hart
    First Name:
    Monica
    Ok, this is up, Alexandre. Sounded good as usual. And you're right - this one is different than a lot of the others.

12. 88man

88man Member Piano Society Artist

Last Name:
    Vosgerichian
    First Name:
    George
    I liked the piece and you play it well! It's always fascinating to discover a rare find, isn't it? Definitely different from other Brazilian music I've heard.

13. lisztzsil

Last Name:
    Dias
    First Name:
    Alexandre
    Thanks for the comments Monica and 88man.
    88man, yes it's always great to discover new interesting pieces.

Best wishes,
    Alexandre

14. techneut

techneut Active Member Piano Society Artist Trusted Member

Last Name:
    Breemer
    First Name:
    Chris
    Not your 'typical' Nazareth piece indeed... But none the worse for it ! A real charmer, though IMO a bit too long for its content. The ending is very daring and unusual.
    I have to say the anodyne digital sound (which does not normally bother me much in your recordings) does this piece no favours. How great it would sound on a real instrument.... But as splendidly played as always !

15. lisztzsil

Last Name:
    Dias
    First Name:
    Alexandre
    Hi Chris,
    Thank you for your remarks. I agree that the ending is very daring and unusual. It is a very ellaborate piece in many ways, either harmonically or pianistically.

I also agree that this piece must be recorded on an acoustic piano. However the experiences I have done with my Kawai don't turn up well. Maybe I'll find better ways to record it, and make a debut eventually.

Best,
    Alexandre

16. lisztzsil

Last Name:
    Dias
    First Name:
    Alexandre
  17. pianolady

Last Name:
    Hart
    First Name:
    Monica
    This is up, Alexandre. I like this one, despite it being a tad on the long side. However, the digital piano does it no favors - this one really needs to be played on a 'giant' grand. Maybe some day you can get your hands on one and re-record this.

Also (a gentle reminder), common courtesy dictates that members who regularly post recordings should also comment on other members' recordings. (I'm going to tell other members this too) It simply makes our forum and site more lively and fun.

18. techneut

Last Name:
    Breemer
    First Name:
    Chris
    I had the same points but forgot to post. IMO, this piece does outstay its welcome, I find it rather bloated and repetitive, even though it has its moments. I found the digital sound here positively off-putting in some places. I don't normally have that with your recordings, I guess it's that this piece just cries for more real sonority than the jolly dances we usuall have from Nazareth. Your rock-solid and razor-sharp polonaise rhythm is fantastic though !

19. lisztzsil

Last Name:
    Dias
    First Name:
    Alexandre
    Hello Monica and Chris,

Thank you for the comments, either positive and negative. I did think it would sound too long, however this is the version with cuts. Nazareth wrote a good deal of other repetitions.

When I get to record his complete works it will be undoubtedly recorded on a piano grand in studio, but for now I don't have access to one (Brasília doesn't have a studio with a good piano). Meanwhile I'm doing the best I can on my Kurzweil. (The acoustics of my living room aren't good for recording on my Kawai upright and I haven't found a solution for this yet).

Seven years ago I played this piece in a television program, which had a steinway grand availble. It's on youtube, if you'd like to watch it:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g-lAHBElrgM

Back then my interpretation of it was more rushed and I could only play one take, so it's full of errors.

Monica, I'll increase my participation in other posts, thanks for the reminder.

Best wishes,
    Alexandre

20. techneut

Last Name:
    Breemer
    First Name:
    Chris
    For all its little slips (none of them really disturbing), I like this one a lot better. Here is the sense of danger and mad abandon that a piece like this needs, as well as the full-throated sound. I do think in both versions you take the secondary section too slow to keep it interesting.