Thank you to those who donated to Piano Society in 2017.

Rare music of Eduardo Dutra: Preludio, Op. 32 in F#m

Discussion in 'Submission Room' started by Rachfan, Jan 24, 2011.

1. Rachfan

Rachfan Active Member Piano Society Artist

Chief Operating Officer, retired
    Last Name:
    April
    First Name:
    David
    Hi Alexandre,

Ahhh... I only received the two pages of the music, sans the front cover. So yes, it is possible that the origin was as you suggested.

Also based on the other facts you kindly gave me, I went back to my opening post where I had included a biographical sketch, and was able to enhance it! So thanks for that.

Where the piece is so sad, and where Farnesio was 19 in 1940, it would be interesting to know the event in Farnesio's life that caused his father Eduardo to compose the piece and dedicate it to his son. It could have been something adolescent, like Farnesio breaking up with his girl friend. We'll never know.

Do you know by chance if Neusa Franca knew Cyprien Katsaris?

David

2. richard66

richard66 Richard Willmer Piano Society Artist Trusted Member

Amateur musician
    Home Page:
  3. techneut

techneut Active Member Piano Society Artist

Last Name:
    Breemer
    First Name:
    Chris
    Khachaturian ? Or did you have another you-know-who in mind ? There are surely lots of influences to be detected, not all of them fully digested.

Thanks for posting this. I'd never heard of Tavares. Not a terrible original composer, but a capable one it seems, writing as well for the orchestra as the piano. This does not overall sound particularly Brazilian to me. Some great big-hearted tunes in there though.

What a mighty pianist Arnaldo Cohen is. He should be far more famous :!:

4. lisztzsil

lisztzsil New Member Piano Society Artist

Last Name:
    Dias
    First Name:
    Alexandre
    Hi David,

I don't think Neusa França ever met Katsaris, but she was a student of Magda Tagliaferro and knew many important Brazilian composers like Francisco Mignone (with whom she studied), Lorenzo Fernandez (who was in the examination of her admission test for the conservatoire when she was an adolescent), Villa Lobos, and Claudio Santoro (a personal friend).

richard66, I love Heckel Tavares' Piano Concerto in Brazilian Forms. Arnaldo Cohen and Roberto Tibiriçá did a spledid job in it. There are so many great Brazilian composers. If you want something Russian, listen to this Ponteio Guarnieri dedicated to Scriabin!
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KMK5n0RaUFg

Best,
    Alexandre

5. richard66

Amateur musician
    Home Page:
    I was actually thinking of Rachmaninoff, actually. It could have been his "lost concerto", if he had ever lost one!

The funny thing is that if Dutra, a classical composer, had a son who was a popular composer, Tavares was father and son together - having his foot in both camps. This concerto, as well as some other pieces, are quite atypical, really.

My father brought these works to my attention, commenting that Tavares was obviously a great admirer of Rachmaninoff.

6. richard66

Amateur musician
    Home Page:
    Alexandre, I have listened to the Camargo Guarnieri. Indeed, it does sound familiar. Speaking of that, some time ago I was investigating recordings of Bortkiewicz's Etudes and the best one (to my mind) version of op 15/8 I found (on YouTube) was yours. I could actually hear the lyric B section. Why do you not post it here?

7. felipesarro

felipesarro New Member

System Analyst, for now
    Hi, David!

definitely it's a Russian piece!
    nice playing! and I'm impressed how you could find it. I have come across some Pierre Feraux recordings, but never this Dutra piece!

8. Rachfan

Last Name:
    April
    First Name:
    David
    Hi Felipe,

Thanks for listening and your nice comment.

Actually I didn't find Dutra's piece--it found me. :lol: I received it from a professional performing artist who suggested I might like to play it. From what I understand it traveled from Brazil to Canada to the USA, and finally to me. I didn't know what to expect, but once I took it to the piano, I immediately saw its potential. It's a trifle, but a gem of a trifle.

David

9. AdrienneM

AdrienneM New Member

Independent Piano Teacher
    Home Page:
    Hello, David!

Such a sorrowful and beautiful piece... I was holding my breath by the end. I was thinking it reminded me a little of something by Szymanowski (I am trying to learn a few of the preludes). I can't exactly place it/them, but that was my initial reaction. What a treat to have someone send you a score like that. :) That would make it so much easier to decide what to play next, always an impossible decision for me (and so I procrastinate and don't play anything for months, ugh).

Thanks for posting this. I think your piano sounds great, BTW. What year is your L?

~Adrienne

10. Rachfan

Last Name:
    April
    First Name:
    David
    Hi Adrienne,

I'm glad you enjoyed this piece. I always have a queue of recording projects, so know exactly what I'll be doing next. When I got the Dutra score, I wasn't quite sure where I should place it. As it turned out, I decided to prioritize it as my very next piece to study, and I'm glad I did. This prelude, a trifle really, is a little gem, but a gem nonetheless! It's been a hit with listeners, so I think I made a good decision to play it sooner than later. And where Dutra is nearly unknown now, I'm pleased to have served this fine composer who deserves to be remembered.

And thanks for complimenting my Baldwin L Artist Grand too. I purchased it new in 1984 and in 2007 did a partial rebuilding, as it gets frequent workouts. We've done a lot of work together over the years! The new Ronsen Wurzen hammers (replacing the original Baldwin-Renner hammers--my choice) were so great right out of the box in 2007, such that very little filing and voicing needed to be done--just a few very minor touches. My concern now is that with "wearing in", the piano is sounding noticeably on the bright side. So I'm seriously considering doing just enough voicing of the hammers to get a slightly darker and more typical Baldwin sound.

Thanks for listening to the "Preludio".

David

11. lisztzsil

lisztzsil New Member Piano Society Artist

Last Name:
    Dias
    First Name:
    Alexandre
    (David, sorry for using your post to answer to Richard's message..!)

Hello Richard,

I'm delighted to hear your opinion on my rendition of Bortkiewicz's Op.15 No.8 and will consider recording it for PS.

Best,
    Alexandre

12. Rachfan

Last Name:
    April
    First Name:
    David
    Hi Alexandre,

No problem. Op. 15 No. 8 is one of my favorites too. Looking forward to your recording! :)

David

13. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Dr. Eduardo D'Utra e Silva, inherited the Laboratory F. Dutra, Fabrizio your father and also the love of letters and arts. Eduardo's father Dick, a pediatrician, philosopher, composer, musician, very cultivated, an expert in wrestling, polyglot, including full fluency in Greek, he studied philosophy devoting himself especially the neo-scholastic. Famous conductor and composer, and very successful entrepreneur also taught to a select group of students, one of the famous students of Eduardo Dutra e Silva, Jack Klein was professor Arnaldo Cohen.
    In music he joined the neo-romanticism. He studied music theory with renowned masters, violin with Joaquim Boisson; perfected in piano with Henry Oswald, Barroso Neto and Charley Lachmund.
    Eduardo Dutra was a classical composer of great prestige and over the years leading conductors and soloists have performed several of his works, among them Francisco Braga, Henrique Spedini, Ernesto Ronchini Arthur Bosmans, Martinez Degree and recently Arnaldo Cohen recently presented one of his works on his CD released in 2005.
    Among the soloists, Mario Neves, Mario de Azevedo, Arnaldo Rebello, Josette Dyla, Isaac Feldman, Peri Machado and others. His works are performed, Concerto in F sharp minor, "ballet - Pantomime" entitled "The Princess of Medinet - el Fayum," five "Preludes", "Orientales" (suite of seven dances of oriental character), "Idyll" Etc. For piano, "Sonata in C minor, twelve" Preludes "and six" Miniatures "(children's suite), five" studies "," Five "Mazurkas" and three "Viennese Waltz" concert, "Three Berceuse" "Concerto No. 2" Piano "Concerto No. 1" for orchestra. Eduardo studied philosophy and theology, many hours a day with equal dedication to music.
    As a pediatrician served only children of friends and relatives.
    The evenings were frequented by famous artists, musicians, singers and well Cyl Dick and grew in an environment focused on the arts and philosophy.
    It is worth noting that all you had to practice wrestling watching Grandpa and his followers and coach
    This is part of the book is a biography of Dick Farney.
    Mariangela- I am the heir of both, put me to provide further information, thank you and to emphasize that we are thrilled with the comments about the work of Eduardo Dutra.

14. musical-md

musical-md Active Member Piano Society Artist Trusted Member

Physician, Chief Medical Officer
    Last Name:
    Del Rio
    First Name:
    Eddy
    I suppose this is meant as bio material for the listing here? However, regarding the following:
    I would not list this exclusivity, as it may in others (as it does in me, a physician) make them think that he only served those who could pay and not others. Certainly as a man of culture, letters, art and such, his "friends and relatives" would also have been individuals of privilege with resources.

Respectfully,

15. Rachfan

Last Name:
    April
    First Name:
    David
    Hi Mariangela,

Thank you so much for providing all of that additional information on Eduardo Dutra! It is not easy to find background material on this wonderful composer. Having read your account, I now feel that I know him far better than before. When I was given the score to his "Preludio", Op.32, it was an honor for me to learn and record the piece and present it here at Piano Society. I notice on the "insights" feature at YouTube that my biggest audience for this recording are listeners in Brazil, so it has not gone unnoticed, and I am grateful for that!

I do hope that more of his piano solo scores will be rediscovered and reprinted sooner than later. I'm sure there are many treasures there. In comparing thoughts with the artist who gave me the score, I've concluded that the Preludio, Op. 32 came to me from Paris to Rio de Janeiro to Montreal to New York City and then to my home in Maine. That's a very roundabout route for one, rare piece of sheet music. Imagine if these pieces could be more readily available to pianists!

Thanks again for your comments.

David

16. kojiattwood

kojiattwood New Member

Thank you very much for all this fascinating information. Jacques Klein (along with Joel Ryce and Jerome Lowenthal) was one of the few students of William Kapell, incidentally.

17. wiser_guy

wiser_guy Member Piano Society Artist Trusted Member

System Software Engineer
    Last Name:
    Assimakopoulos
    First Name:
    Pantelis
    Outstanding colour, David. Excellent understanding and judgement of mood and style. I'm very impressed once again by your full sound and dynamics.

18. Rachfan

Last Name:
    April
    First Name:
    David
    Hi Pantelis,

Thanks for listening to this "Preludio". I'm happy that you enjoyed it, and thanks for the compliments!

You probably noticed that Eduardo Dutra's grand-daughter added some information here about the composer and his many activities which was quite interesting. Getting the score for this piece was true serendipity for me. It came to me through a very convoluted global route. As I said elsewhere, finding Dutra's scores nearly requires archeology. As I started playing it at the piano, it quickly grew on me, and as the final step I recorded it. It turned out that Arnaldo Cohen had recorded it a few years earlier. The two interpretations are very different, but that's a good thing, as it hints at the possibilities for interpretation. It was a wonderful feeling doing at least a small part to illuminate this music.

David

19. wiser_guy

wiser_guy Member Piano Society Artist Trusted Member

System Software Engineer
    Last Name:
    Assimakopoulos
    First Name:
    Pantelis
    A strange thing happened. I noticed that I had commented on this piece almost a year ago. And yesterday, I came upon it once again and it felt so impressive again that I had to write a few lines again!
    So, David, apart from my sanity of judgement and consistency verification, this means that your performance holds well through the test of time. Also thanks for your reply, I found all this information really interesting.

20. Rachfan

Last Name:
    April
    First Name:
    David
    Hi Pantelis,

At least you knew you were commenting a second time. And I greatly appreciate that! In a thread that will remain unmentioned, I recently noticed that I had responded to it three times over a couple of years without realizing it. :lol: :lol: :lol: They must have thought I was the absent minded professor. :oops:

David