Thank you to those who donated to Piano Society in 2017.

Ragtime

Discussion in 'Submission Room' started by Anonymous, Jun 19, 2007.

1. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Hello, Im new on this Forum.
    I'm From Brazil and recorded some ragtimes..

2. pianolady

pianolady Monica Hart, Administrator Staff Member Piano Society Artist Trusted Member

Last Name:
    Hart
    First Name:
    Monica
    That was the cutest and most fun rendition I have ever heard! The honky-tonk or rinky-tink piano made me laugh so hard, and you must have six hands to simultaneously play drums, tuba and was it banjo? or a ukelele? :wink: My son happened to be walking by the room as this was playing, and I tried to get him to dance with me - he ran away in horror - but I so much enjoyed this. Put me in a happy mood. Thanks! :D

3. John Robson

John Robson New Member Piano Society Artist

Retired
    Last Name:
    Robson
    First Name:
    John
    Maple Leaf Rag

There are several versions of The Maple Leaf Rag on the site already, but this is definitely the most unique. Thank you for playing this rag at the right tempo. You often hear it too fast. I would be interested in finding out how you made this recording. Were those live instruments or what? I thoroughly enjoyed listening. It took me to about the turn of the 1900's in St. Louis.

4. MindenBlues

MindenBlues New Member Piano Society Artist

Home Page:
    Last Name:
    Schmidt
    First Name:
    Olaf
    Absolutely groovy rendition, my feets could not stop tapping. Sounds great to me, and yes, feel too to be put back in 1897. Sounds also like an upperdamper upright, like they were used in that old days. Like an authentic old sound but with super recording quality. How did you produced the recording? Did you simulate this old upright sound with a digital keyboard?

And also perfect playing, all instruments are tight togehter - great!

Thank you much for sharing this!

5. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

I'm surprised with all positive comments, thanks a lot.
    Ill Answer your questions...
    pianolady
    Try again dancing with your son... This is so funny, I love kids... How old are him?
    No, I have just 2 hands, but i had 3 more people in this recording: A Tubist, a man with Tenor Banjo and a man playing a Washboard.
    Best regards to you and your son.

John Robson
    Hi John, I think its the same tempo of Joplins Roll.
    It was recorded live, all the instruments at same time, one microphone for each instrument.
    Thank you for your lovely message.

MindenBlues
    When we went to Studio, There was a GrandPiano. It was the oficial piano of the Studio... Beautiful, tuned and brilliant. The band recorded some tunes on that piano. On the Other side of the room, there was a warm piano. It was no used for a long long time and it was disturbing the place. His appearance was not so good. some keys broken, holed by cigar, and it was out of tune... But I Tried it and the Maestro said: "This piano sounds too much better for Ragtime, lets try tuning it". But nobody agreed. Only me and the Maestro. So we tuned with a key, and then i played it with piano tuned. Everybody preferred the warm piano... Before i played it, the owner of the studio said the piano was disturbing and it would go to the garbage.
    Tanks for comment...

6. juufa72

juufa72 New Member Piano Society Artist

Last Name:
    Grocholski
    First Name:
    Julius
    Did you make an offer for that piano?

7. pianolady

pianolady Monica Hart, Administrator Staff Member Piano Society Artist Trusted Member

Last Name:
    Hart
    First Name:
    Monica
    I just had to listen to this again today. :) It was a wise decision to use the old piano. Didn't disturb me a bit. :wink: Do you have any more recordings?

And my son is 15. He would have danced with me when he was five but now he thinks it is too wierd to dance with his mom.

8. John Robson

John Robson New Member Piano Society Artist

Retired
    Last Name:
    Robson
    First Name:
    John
    Maple Leaf

Like, Pianolady, I had to listen to it again today. I love it. It sounds so authentic!

9. techneut

techneut Active Member Piano Society Artist Trusted Member

Last Name:
    Breemer
    First Name:
    Chris
    Yes this has a genuine authentic feeling about it. One can just imagine it being played like this a century ago in some smoky saloon by a chance band of enthousiastic players. Especially with the washboard :) Great you did not go for the slinky grand, this piano suits the music like a glove.

Please provide some biographical details so we can put you up the site with this recording (if that is what you want, of course).

10. robert

robert Active Member Piano Society Artist Trusted Member

Home Page:
    Last Name:
    Stahlbrand
    First Name:
    Robert
    This was the most authentic recording I could think of for this rag and I did enjoy every second of it. You did a very good job on the piano and really caught the genuine saloon mood. I was just waiting for someone firing a gun at the end! Splendid!

Welcome to Piano Society! If you want this up, we would need your biography too. Either post it here or send it to info@pianosociety.com.

11. hasekamp

hasekamp New Member

Retired patent expert.
    Home Page:
    Absolutely great stuff!

This is absolutely great stuff! I listened to it several times before posting this.
    The washboard and the tuba absolutely make it unique, not to forget the banjo.
    This reminds me of some of the fine Ragtime, "Frisco" and Dixieland jazz I used to listen to daily many years ago.

It is a bit different from what we usually hear on this site, but I wouldn't liked to have missed it. GREAT!

Rene Hasekamp

12. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Hi Juufa72,

I bought (my fahter did it) my piano a month before it, so i didnt have money. I was just a 16yo student. No money for it...

13. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Hi Guys,
    I'm sending my biography and picture on this e-mail.
    Thank you,
    Alexandre

Alexandre Hage
    Born in 1981, Alexandre Hage Gonçalves initied classic piano training at age of 16.
    His neigthbor JF Missali was a Jazz BandLeader, Music Teacher and Cornet Player. He invited Alexandre to learn piano playing for playing in his band. So he began to learn classic piano with a Classic Piano teacher and learn jazz classes with Missali.
    Studied it for 3 years but coudnt continue because had to study computer engineer college and after had to work on it. Couldnt study piano anymore becouse it was harming college study.
    Stoped classic piano classes but continued playing with the band music of jazz and ragtime pianists like Scott Joplin, Jelly Roll Morton and Fats Waller.
    Now in 2007 he wants to continue his music studies, including classic piano classes.

14. Mr Duffy

Mr Duffy New Member

I listened to it this morning and foud it very funny. before leaving home I listened to it again. and on my way to work I was smiling :)
    thanks ;), Mr Duffy

15. harald

harald Member Piano Society Artist

Home Page:
    Last Name:
    Vetter
    First Name:
    Harald
    I can only repeat what the others said already. It's just great! Perfect technical performance and sound quality! You can hear that the players enjoyed it.

16. Didier

Didier Member Piano Society Artist Trusted Member

Last Name:
    Brest
    First Name:
    Didier
    Thank you so much Alexandre for this moment of pure happyness. :D

17. PJF

PJF New Member Piano Society Artist

Last Name:
    Fournet
    First Name:
    Pierre
    BULLY!

T.R. :lol:

(Some period humor for this period performance!)