Thank you to those who donated to Piano Society in 2017.

Rachmaninov Prelude in G Minor, Op. 23, No. 5

Discussion in 'Submission Room' started by musical-md, Aug 26, 2011.

1. richard66

richard66 Richard Willmer Piano Society Artist Trusted Member

Amateur musician
    Home Page:
    Thank you, Eddy, though I really do not deserve it coming form you, considering my shabby treatment of you at times! It just shows the generosity of your soul and the bigness of your heart.

By the way, I have listened to this prelude (I made my remark before listening, as I wanted to comment not on this performance, but about programme notes in general). I do prefer the way Rachmaninov plays (for the ritardando). Also, in section b, you start quite well on the countermelody (or motive, whatever you choose to call it) on the left hand, but I would add a bt more emphasis on the third note (as Rachmninov does clearly on the recording on YouTube), as I find it tends to disappear.

This is, by the way, one of those pieces I started 25 years ago and still have not mastered. I do, however, strive for the above-mentioned effect. Maybe I even manage.

2. richard66

richard66 Richard Willmer Piano Society Artist Trusted Member

Amateur musician
    Home Page:
    Just a little bit of self-promotion... Actually, I promote the PS there also. I have also mentioned the PS in a Russian social network in which I am participating as part of my work:

http://my.mail.ru/mail/richardwillmer/

3. Rachfan

Rachfan Active Member Piano Society Artist

Chief Operating Officer, retired
    Last Name:
    April
    First Name:
    David
    Hi Chris,

I strongly believe you're not alone. I suspect that many accomplished pianists have taken ritenuto and ritardando as synonyms and have generally leaned toward ritardando, a gradual slowing of the tempo in usage. The the more immediate "holding back" of ritenuto was always more baffling to me as a definition. But I think that Alexander's explanation of ritardando being applied in a calm context while retenuto's holding back--a slowing to actually help build tension for what is to follow--is right on the money. Today I was driving to a luncheon and had the radio on. During the whole trip to a neighboring city, I listened to Miklos Rosza's "Spellbound Concerto", a pops piece for piano and orchestra based on themes from Rosza's film music for Alfred Hitchcock's movie. I detected at least three ritenutos in there. One, for example, following a long episode, built tremendous tension leading to the big reprise of the main theme. It was unmistakable! Now that I've heard it and identified the sound, I can better employ it in the future in my own playing. It also occurred to me that "cresc. and rit." which equates to allargando needs to be reexamined in the moment as well. I'll never look at "rit." again without that connection to context. One thing about Piano Society--everyone can always learn something new here. :)

David

4. Didier

Didier Member Piano Society Artist Trusted Member

Last Name:
    Brest
    First Name:
    Didier
    Hi Eddy !

Mamma mia, what a ferocious music and what a terrific performance :!:
    But the sound is not in accordance with the music. It is too thin. I prefer my mastering here attached. But, as usual, your mileage may vary... :wink:

5. musical-md

musical-md Active Member Piano Society Artist Trusted Member

Physician, Chief Medical Officer
    Last Name:
    Del Rio
    First Name:
    Eddy
    Hello Didier,
    It sounds like you upgraded my venue! Tell me, what did you do? I am your student :)

6. Didier

Last Name:
    Brest
    First Name:
    Didier
    I removed noise, equalized (look before in white and after in red on the attached picture) and added reverb. I also applied the Redline Preamp plugin that gives a subtle touch of tube electronics flavour.

7. musical-md

Last Name:
    Del Rio
    First Name:
    Eddy
    Do you know if Pro Tools LE (ver 8+) can do this (if you have experience with this sw)? I really like this spectral view. It shows very nicely how the bass was pumped just a bit and the treble reduced.
    Eddy

8. Didier

Last Name:
    Brest
    First Name:
    Didier
    I only know that Pro Tools is a professional standard. Hence there is no doubt that this rather basic processing could be achieved by means of Pro Tools (although it is not the best choice for an amateur in my opinion because of the obligation of using hardware from the same manufacturer and specific format for the plugins).

9. musicrecovery

musicrecovery Member Piano Society Artist

Special Ed/Music Teacher NYC (Retired)
    Home Page:
    Last Name:
    Rochelle
    First Name:
    Kaila
    Hi Eddy,

You have done a technically amazing job with this piece. My only suggestion is that perhaps you play with a bit more pedal and give it a darker sound, except for the middle part.
    The middle part has beautiful voicing and the playing is passionate.

The return to the beginning section is paced in a suspenseful and effective manner

The recap seems to have a bit of a thicker sound. I think you should try for that sound from the start of the piece. It sounds as though the notes are glued together,
    more theatrical in a way.

It could also be that from the middle section on you play with greater use of the big muscles and put more weight into the keys. That coupled with thicker pedaling makes a truly remarquable sound.

Keep up the great work.

Thank you.
    Kaila

10. musical-md

Last Name:
    Del Rio
    First Name:
    Eddy
    Hi Kaila,
    I think we both must share a bigger, more powerful view of this piece, than the lighter version that the composer plays. Thanks for your reply. I still have work to do here.
    Eddy