DONATION STATUS
Needed before 2016-12-31
$ 2,500
So far donated
$ 750

Rachmaninov, Moments Musicaux 5 & 6

Discussion in 'Submission Room' started by Marik, Aug 11, 2010.

1. Marik

Marik New Member

As the title says it, Rachmaninov, Moments Musicaux in Db Major, and C Major. First experience on stage April 2009.

2. Rachfan

Rachfan Active Member Piano Society Artist

Chief Operating Officer, retired
    Last Name:
    April
    First Name:
    David
    Hi Marik,

Bravo! Your two recordings here are marvelous. The "Moment" No. 5 in D flat is a gorgeous barcarolle. (Leave it to Rachmaninoff's ingenuity to compose a barcarolle in 4/4 time! But do it he did, and very successfully.) You play this piece very beautifully with thoughtful attention to all of its details, creating many lovely nuances and turns of phrase. I actually prefer this piece to his "Barcarolle" from the Seven Pieces, Op. 10. In my own recording, I believe I play it at a slightly faster tempo than you, but your rendition works ever so well bringing out the sensuous long line of the music.

The "Moment" No. 6 is one of my favorites in Rachmaninoff's oeuvre. It is majestic, lush, ultra-romantic in character, and an exciting finish to the set. Not to mention its virtuosic difficulty. Late Romantic Russian music for the piano doesn't get any better than this. You always etch the melodic line against the dense filligree of the background for the listener. I was riveted to your wonderful performance in this recording (listening to it several times). Your live audience was obviously enthused as well.

Great playing!

David

3. juufa72

juufa72 New Member Piano Society Artist

Last Name:
    Grocholski
    First Name:
    Julius
    i agree with david