Thank you to those who donated to Piano Society in 2017.

Rachmaninoff - Prelude in G sharp minor, Op. 32 No. 12

Discussion in 'Submission Room' started by nathanscoleman, Sep 4, 2008.

1. nathanscoleman

nathanscoleman New Member Piano Society Artist

Last Name:
    Coleman
    First Name:
    Nathan
    Hiya cherub ... I know I'm a cliche'd romantic, but I just love this prelude.

IMVHO, I think this one could use a little bit more work. It sounds like you almost have it completely 'under your fingers', but need to concentrate on some stylistic points. Although not particularly clean, that wasn't really that big of a deal. The rhythm seemed to lurch back and forth. I haven't done more than read through this piece a couple of times, but imagine that metronome work would help?? Dunno. It was just very uneven. And the extremely familiarity of this one plays against you when it's not very clean.

Anyway, I hope you'll repost because you've obviously got skills. :)

2. techneut

techneut Active Member Piano Society Artist Trusted Member

Last Name:
    Breemer
    First Name:
    Chris
    Pardon me for asking Raul, but have you actually practised this piece before recording it ? It is so riddled with wrong notes, notes left out, notes inserted, hesitations, and tempo aberrations, that is sounds like an impromptu recording. As if it were not enough, there are hardly any dynamics and there's nothing much in the way of a convincing interpretation. This most popular of Rachmaninov preludes deserves a better fate.

It is clear from your Bortkiewicz Prelude (even though that is not beyond reproach either), that you are a competent and committed pianist. You'll need to do a better job with this Rach prelude.