Thank you to those who donated to Piano Society in 2017.

Rachmaninoff Prelude in G minor, Opus 23, No. 5

Discussion in 'Submission Room' started by liszt1970, Apr 17, 2009.

1. Rachfan

Rachfan Active Member Piano Society Artist

Chief Operating Officer, retired
    Last Name:
    April
    First Name:
    David
    Sometimes when describing music, I use the term "ultra-romantic". In case anyone here hasn't yet guessed, that's my code word or euphemism for "sexy". :) And the middle section of Op. 23, 5 certainly qualifies as being ultra-romantic.

David

2. nathanscoleman

nathanscoleman New Member Piano Society Artist

Last Name:
    Coleman
    First Name:
    Nathan
    ultra-romantic .... anything that makes you want to throw your head back as you play with the eyes closed .... yeah, that's sexy! 8)

3. 88man

88man Member Piano Society Artist

Last Name:
    Vosgerichian
    First Name:
    George
    Great performance, Alexander. Beautiful sonority in the middle section. Yes, I would be curious to hear how you would play this peace now, after 10 years.

liszt1970 wrote:
    The most memorable Van Cliburn Competetion moment was watching Sultanov win it in 1989. I still have that performance on VHS. To this day, I've never heard the the Rachmaninoff Etude Tableaux, Op. 39, No. 5, played with such colossal power and unmistakable musicality. What a tragedy to lose him at 35! He would have been ranked among the greatest pianists of the 21st century for sure...

I couldn't agree more with your recollection of Sultanov's advice. Rachmaninoff's music can be pushed to the point of losing control - a certain intensity through dynamic and rhythmic contrasts. Perhaps, more "revolution" in the Revolutionary?...

4. felipesarro

felipesarro New Member

System Analyst, for now
    talking about music and sex... one can only wonder what Grimaud is doing to make such a "face expression" at 3'29 of this video:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oql4pOfWVzA

:lol:

5. liszt1970

liszt1970 New Member

Pianist / Teacher
    Home Page:
    What an interesting turn this thread is taking! I must confess that I have never, ever in my life been "turned on" or excited in that way by either hearing or playing any piano piece, ever! Rather, some music reaches a deep part of my soul or some inner understanding or resonance that cannot be reached by other means. You're right, pianolady, it certainly is hard to describe. Maybe I've been missing something all these years, though!

Another issue, perhaps, is the way performers act with body movements and facial expressions while they perform. The Grimaud youtube video is an illustration of this. Sometimes, the outward appearance of the performer makes absolutely no sense with the music (sound) that is being created, and can be rather distracting at times, especially if it is artificial, which is the case so often. I'm not saying that Grimaud's video, per se, is an example of artificial acting. I, as a performer myself, am perhaps the opposite extreme, where I almost don't move at all when I perform, except for what is necessary to create the sound I want to produce. I'm not very interesting to look at when I perform, but hopefully the music communicates what it should, since I don't think of myself as important at all when performing. I believe the music is the most important. I really like Sviatoslav Richter's way of performing on stage in pitch darkness with only a light shining on the score, not on him.

6. nathanscoleman

nathanscoleman New Member Piano Society Artist

Last Name:
    Coleman
    First Name:
    Nathan
    first of all, hehe @ that video .... that's exactly what I meant! I had a teacher wack me on the head once and say ... keep your head still, that's ridiculous

hhmm ... I guess you never play naked then?? *sigh* such a shame :D

I'm gonna step out of character for a moment now (no one faint), and be serious. It seems to me that some experience music on a more intellectual level .... others much more viscerally. I "feel" it in my gut frequently ... not just sexy, but everything emotional and profound ... at times, happy, sad, introspective, elated, hysterical, playful, adrenaline-rush. After you introduced me to Liebermann, Alex, I was searching around for more of his music on youtube and found this awesome recording of his 2nd concerto played by a young guy in a Julliard concerto competition ... I was literally jumping up and down in my seat with big grin on my face at the sheer exuberance of it all!

Perhaps it has more to do with the worshipful approach that we bring to the altar of art. Some adore a god of music that inspires deep awe and reverence evidenced by spiritual restraint and contemplation. For others, their adoration harkens back to the bacchanalian deities that celebrated their carnal excesses.

Of course, ain't it awesome that there's room for all of this in the same piece?? music rox!!

and if anyone ever wants to try out that naked piano playing thing ... be sure to send me the pictures! hehe :wink:

7. pianolady

pianolady Monica Hart, Administrator Staff Member Piano Society Artist Trusted Member

Last Name:
    Hart
    First Name:
    Monica
    Nathan, your teacher was right to whack you on the head! I hate that sort of thing. (throwing one's head back while playing). Really, it makes me sick when I see that. We all know Lang Lang is big with that, but so are some of these little young Chinese hotshots that you see on youtube. What is with that? Yuck!

Interesting about Richter and playing in the dark with only a little light on the score. I wonder if there are any videos of that. Probably not, since you can't see anything in the video.

8. techneut

techneut Active Member Piano Society Artist Trusted Member

Last Name:
    Breemer
    First Name:
    Chris
    Oh dear... what a Drama Queen. I find this quite repulsive (while still acknowledging her beautiful pianism).

9. juufa72

juufa72 New Member Piano Society Artist

Last Name:
    Grocholski
    First Name:
    Julius
    *pulls at neck collar* wow that's hot... :lol:

10. Rachfan

Rachfan Active Member Piano Society Artist

Chief Operating Officer, retired
    Last Name:
    April
    First Name:
    David
    Hi Monica,

Check out Richter's performance on YouTube of Schumann's Toccata. He seems in the dark with his score light there.

David

11. liszt1970

liszt1970 New Member

Pianist / Teacher
    Home Page:
  12. pianolady

pianolady Monica Hart, Administrator Staff Member Piano Society Artist Trusted Member

Last Name:
    Hart
    First Name:
    Monica
    Hi David,

Not sure I saw the right video. The one I watched shows him with no music on the stand, and I don't see a light. Looks like there is big window behind him, but it's dark outside. The overall look of the video is dark. I thought it a little funny when someone sitting nearby got up and took off Richter's eye glasses while he was playing.

13. liszt1970

liszt1970 New Member

Pianist / Teacher
    Home Page:
  14. pianolady

Last Name:
    Hart
    First Name:
    Monica
    Oh I didn't see you here, Alex.

Yes - now I clearly see that light shining on the music. Was he shy or something like that? Is that why he didn't want to be seen very much?

15. liszt1970

liszt1970 New Member

Pianist / Teacher
    Home Page:
    I highly recommend the incredible video, "Richter the Enigma" directed by Bruno Monsaingeon. Richter in his own words. One of the greatest pianists of the 20th century, in my opinion. If you can't find it on DVD, here are some excerpts on youtube:

http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=eht ... ery=enigma

It is long, but awesome, if you have the time. Lots of video clips.

16. pianolady

Last Name:
    Hart
    First Name:
    Monica
    Thank you for the link. And it's more than just excerpts. I just watched parts 1 and 2 and they play all the way through and connect to each other. I just started part 3 and it picked up right at the end of part 2, so I'm pretty sure that all these parts will make up the whole DVD.

17. wiser_guy

wiser_guy Member Piano Society Artist Trusted Member

System Software Engineer
    Last Name:
    Assimakopoulos
    First Name:
    Pantelis
    I am very fond of this prelude and you have played it passionately and boldly. I too liked the middle part.
    I would prefer the rhythmic parts to be more ... rhythmic. You impose a slight rubato especially on the first beat of each measure which holds the rhythm back, it doesn't let it run free. Of course this is all my personal opinion.

An excellent performance with a full, professional sound nevertheless.

18. liszt1970

liszt1970 New Member

Pianist / Teacher
    Home Page:
    Wiser_guy: Thank you for your comments. In hindsight, I think I agree with you about the rhythm. A more "driven" rhythm would give it more of an edge, more of the march-like quality I think my performance of this piece could benefit from. Thank you, again!

19. juufa72

juufa72 New Member Piano Society Artist

Last Name:
    Grocholski
    First Name:
    Julius

See, you just have to wait for momentum to build until the post goes wildly off-topic. :lol: