Thank you to those who donated to Piano Society in 2017.

Rachmaninoff Op. 39 No. 5

Discussion in 'Works in Progress' started by benjamink, Sep 27, 2015.

1. benjamink

benjamink New Member Trusted Member

This has been a work in progress for a long time, and still has a ton more work to do. Regardless, I decided to make a recording today. Feedback is welcome, but please try to find at least one thing positive to say :) - I am an amateur, piano is strictly a hobby for me at this time.

I got a dedicated audio recorder recently - a Tascam DR-40. Nothing too fancy, but it sounds a lot better than my camcorder's audio in my opinion. It captures dynamics well, and shows that I need to focus more on dynamic range in this piece.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DOzdDSMqY8U

2. techneut

techneut Active Member Piano Society Artist

Last Name:
    Breemer
    First Name:
    Chris
    Fantastic ! You have the piece pretty well worked out, including all of the inner voices (some of which I had never noticed before). What I miss as yet is the drive, power and all-Russian sonority that makes this piece such a rollercoaster. But that will come in time I'm sure. Better to have it technically sorted out, as you mostly have, and then work on maximum effect. I would assume you have/had lessons from a very good teacher/player ?

3. pianolady

pianolady Monica Hart, Administrator Staff Member Piano Society Artist Trusted Member

Last Name:
    Hart
    First Name:
    Monica
    I agree....very nice!! I think your sonority and dynamics were fine!! Your piano sounds good...what kind is it?

4. benjamink

benjamink New Member Trusted Member

Thanks for the feedback! I'm glad you both enjoyed my recording.

techneut - I think part of the drive this is missing is the tempo. I think it should go a little faster in parts - not too much, just a little. I attended a Music Conservatory and got a degree in Piano Performance about ten years ago. Shortly after I switched careers entirely, and have just been playing for fun since. I haven't had a lesson since the Conservatory, but I think I retained a decent amount of what I learned.

pianolady - The piano is a 2013 Mason & Hamlin BB.

5. Rachfan

Rachfan Active Member Piano Society Artist

Chief Operating Officer, retired
    Last Name:
    April
    First Name:
    David
    Hi benjamink,

Bravo! This is a wonderful rendition of a very challenging etude. Your performance is entirely convincing. I'm envious, having had thoughts occasionally to play the piece, but have yet to do so. Thanks for sharing your music here. Your M & H piano and new recorder have helped too, I'm sure. Great work!

David