Thank you to those who donated to Piano Society in 2017.

Rachmaninoff Etude-Tableau in G-minor Op. 33, no. 8

Discussion in 'Submission Room' started by pianolady, Jun 26, 2007.

1. pianolady

pianolady Monica Hart, Administrator Staff Member Piano Society Artist Trusted Member

Last Name:
    Hart
    First Name:
    Monica
    I tried to have three pieces for today, but the third one is killing me. I don't know why I could play it half-decently a few days ago, but the past two days it has gone downhill so much that I'm ready to rip up the music. Plus, my wrists are totally shot, so this is all I have. Hope it's ok.

Rachmaninov - Op.33 no.8, Etude-Tableaux in G minor

2. Chaotica

Chaotica New Member Piano Society Artist

Last Name:
    Lebenstedt
    First Name:
    Jan-Felix
    Okay, I'm not getting it. One piece is the etude, but what are the other two? And what is this "Fragments"? :?

Besides that, I was really looking forward to your Rachmaninov playing. So I have some things to say.

First, I really enjoyed it. :) You're always very good with nocturnish pieces, it seems. The melody is very delicately played and I heard not one ugly note in it. The accompaniment, however, isn't perfect, at least in the very first bar. You're emphasizing the D's and the B-flat, making it sound not as dreamy as it should be. Minor, of course. Later on, you're releasing the pedal a bit abruptly in places, right at the beginning of the cadenza, for example. Sounds a bit unelegant. But the rest is very good. It's sometimes exhausting, but recording is worth every trouble (okay, not every trouble, of course :wink: ).

Also, you did a very good with the technical things. I'm very impressed by the double-handed scale at the end, for instance. :!:

3. pianolady

pianolady Monica Hart, Administrator Staff Member Piano Society Artist Trusted Member

Last Name:
    Hart
    First Name:
    Monica
    I only have the two pieces: the Etude and Fragments, which is a piece I learned about from Chris when he played it on one of our games. And I thought it was you who guessed that one correctly.
    The third piece is not on this post, because I played like crap today. Maybe tomorrow...
    And thanks for listening, Jan. I appreciate your comments.

4. juufa72

juufa72 New Member Piano Society Artist

Last Name:
    Grocholski
    First Name:
    Julius
    nice playing. I never listened to much Rachmaninov. Do you have the sheet music for the Fragments piece? I'd like to give it a shot. That's if I don't need all 88 keys to play (I only have 76+/- :x )

5. pianolady

Last Name:
    Hart
    First Name:
    Monica
    Thanks, Julius. I'm dead-tired now. I'll scan the music and put it up tomorrow. (try to, anyway)

6. MindenBlues

MindenBlues New Member Piano Society Artist

Home Page:
    Last Name:
    Schmidt
    First Name:
    Olaf
    The etude tableau is really sensitive played, and I very much like your rubato and deceleration on some parts to prepare a new phrase. I agree with Jan that here and there the LH thumb stands out a bit - that happens in my case also much too often to.
    I think such kind of pieces you do play more lyrical than you would have played earlier, and it is great that way!

The only thing I am worried a bit that is that you occasional mentions wrist pains, after a recording session. I think you should check for the reason, because you need your wrists for the next 50 years of piano playing, and such soft pieces should work without wrist pain. But I hear so often that pianists suffer from that, that may be personal vulnerability, so maybe I should be glad to not have experienced that. However, after some hours of organ playing (especially with coupled manuals) what needs more finger force, my hands feel tired. Sorry for coming OT.

As usual, very good recording!

7. pianolady

Last Name:
    Hart
    First Name:
    Monica
    Thanks Olaf. I must be going deaf, because I don't hear my thumb being too loud. But since two people have said that, it must be so. Thank you for pointing it out. I'll watch that more carefully from now on.
    And it's kind of you to be concerned with my wrist pain. To make a long story short - I have tendonitis. I've had shots, x-rays, prickly pin and needles tested (can't remember the name of that procedure) and that was the diagnosis. No cure, either, except don't over-exert myself, which will never happen because I over-exert myself practically every day. When they come out with wrist transplants, I'll be first in line. And in 50 years I'll be 100, give or take 2, 5, or 10 years. I hope I'm still playing then.

Julius, and anybody else: I'm trying to put up the sheets for Fragments here.

8. juufa72

Last Name:
    Grocholski
    First Name:
    Julius

Women.... :roll:

9. juufa72

Last Name:
    Grocholski
    First Name:
    Julius
    thank you for the sheet music. I'll give it a try. Looks as if there are not any painful chords to play. (like an F# , B-natural, C# , and F#--from left to right--for the left hand :evil: )

10. John Robson

John Robson New Member Piano Society Artist

Retired
    Last Name:
    Robson
    First Name:
    John
    Rach

As usual you did an excellent job of portraying these poignant little pieces. I had never heard either one before, so I can't intelligently critique them. Thanks for providing the music for Fragments. It helped me follow along more meaningfully. These little pieces are good examples of Rachmaninoff's more reflective music. My only performance comment involves the rhythm, and it is only my humble opinion. In Fragments, I prefer the rhythm to be adhered to more strictly. I'm sure this is more difficult to accomplish than it appears at first glance. I enjoyed listening to your sensitive playing once again.

PS.....I wish Chris would share more of his knowledge of wonderful works like these that are not so well-known.

11. techneut

techneut Active Member Piano Society Artist Trusted Member

Last Name:
    Breemer
    First Name:
    Chris
    Re: Rach

Yes perhaps I should just be recording weird and wonderful stuff that nobody's ever heard before (and therefore never notices the mistakes), instead of trying to complete the WTC which everybody knows how they want it. It would certainly be easier. So much to do, so little time.....

12. John Robson

John Robson New Member Piano Society Artist

Retired
    Last Name:
    Robson
    First Name:
    John
    stuff

I said, "I wish Chris would share more of his knowledge of wonderful works like these that are not so well-known."

Chris, I definitely did not intend for you to stop posting wonderful masterpieces like you do. I was only suggesting that you share some of your vast knowledge of piano repertoire with some of us who may not know of so many interesting works that you may know about. I may have misunderstood that you recommended these Rachmaninoff pieces to Monica. You also generously shared the piano transcriptions of the Rachmaninoff songs.

13. pianolady

Last Name:
    Hart
    First Name:
    Monica
    Thanks, John.
    And FYI: Chris did not recommend these pieces to me. I fell in love with Fragments when I heard him play it and had to go and get the music. I learned the Etude from my teacher.
    And I don't think Chris meant it the way you think he meant it that you didn't understand. :? :? huh? forget it...

14. techneut

Last Name:
    Breemer
    First Name:
    Chris
    That was lovely played ! I do not really have anything to suggest except perhaps an even deeper, more 'Russian' sound in the climax. But that is something that is difficult to achieve for us amateurs who are used to playing with less force and volume than the pros who need to fill a concert hall. You should certainly not be afraid to use LOTS of pedal in Rachmaninov. I am sometimes surprised when my teacher tells me to keep the pedal down for bars on end, where I am used to retaking it whenever the harmony changes. I guess she should know, and it is probably the way it should be done.

15. Chaotica

Last Name:
    Lebenstedt
    First Name:
    Jan-Felix
    Okay, I simply didn't realize it's the title of the piece and I even didn't get that it is by Rachmaninov. :oops: And no, I didn't know it until now. But it's a nice and beautiful little sketch and you played it very sensitively. Thanks for sharing!

But I think John has a point regarding the rhythm. Do you intentionally change the quaver rhythm into a triplet one in bars 2 and 4? Does sound good though, maybe even better than the original.

16. pianolady

Last Name:
    Hart
    First Name:
    Monica
    Thanks Chris and Jan.

And not only am I going deaf but I must also be daft, because I don't know what you mean about triplets in the 2nd and 4th measure. Am I not playing 1, +a, 2, 3? Sometimes my rhythm gets a little 'fuzzy'.

17. Chaotica

Last Name:
    Lebenstedt
    First Name:
    Jan-Felix
    Yes, rhythm can be quite tricky for us classical-trained piano-players. :wink:

To make it simple, you're playing something like

[​IMG]

instead of

[​IMG]

in bars 2, 4, 19 and 21. However, no great deal 'cause I know these problems (if it is one in this case) from myself.

18. robert

robert Active Member Piano Society Artist Trusted Member

Home Page:
    Last Name:
    Stahlbrand
    First Name:
    Robert
    You dig up the beauty as usually in any music you perform. It seems like you really look for it and deliberately choose music where you find these attractive parts. I do not say it is a bad thing and it does certainly make your recordings personal. Very well done! It is up on the site.

Oh, and it is not number 7 but number 8 of Op.33.

19. techneut

Last Name:
    Breemer
    First Name:
    Chris
    I'm not sure of that. There is confusion about the numbering in the Op.33 set, as explained in the Boosey and Hawkes Edition. Good old R. made a bit of a mess here.... So it might well be no.7 depending on what book you have :-/

But I agree with the other things you say here :D

20. Chaotica

Last Name:
    Lebenstedt
    First Name:
    Jan-Felix
    I'd say take the logical numbering from 1 to 8. Then this G minor one would be op.33 no.7. Yes, there are several numberings, but I don't see the point with spreading a numbering that has no no. 4.