Thank you to those who donated to Piano Society in 2017.

Questions

Discussion in 'Submission Room' started by hyenal, Nov 22, 2007.

1. hyenal

hyenal New Member Piano Society Artist

Ph.D student
    Last Name:
    Lee
    First Name:
    Hye-Jin
    Hello, I am new in Forum. I want to join as a amateur pianist in Piano Society, and as a first step I'm searching for informations about mp3 recorders. Does anyone have experiences with Zoom H2 or could anybody compare H2 with Edirol R-09? I live in Germany and here H2 is 200 Euro, R-09 is almost 400 Euro.

I have one more question. Can I login with my username and password also through the Login blank on the main page? I have just tried it out, but in vain. What's the difference between the Login there and here in the forum?

Thanks for this nice place!

Hye-Jin

2. Lord Nelson

Lord Nelson New Member Piano Society Artist

Last Name:
    Scheja
    First Name:
    Nelson
    Welcome to Piano Society!
    Nice to see another German here :wink:

Are you sure you want an mp3 recorder? Maybe there are more effective solutions... But for good quality, you also have to pay much :) I don't have many experiences here, so let's wait for others.

Yes, login... I don't understand it as well. Hope somebody can explain it.

3. juufa72

juufa72 New Member Piano Society Artist

Last Name:
    Grocholski
    First Name:
    Julius
    There are lots of people here who use the Edirol R-09. It's a good device if you are on a budget.

4. techneut

techneut Active Member Piano Society Artist Trusted Member

Last Name:
    Breemer
    First Name:
    Chris
    Hi, welcome to the Forum.

1)
    I don't think we have anybody here using a Zoom, but several people use the Edirol R-9, and that produces a good quality sound. Would probably still be better with two good external mikes, but you don't want all the hassle of that. I myself have the older Edirol model R-1 (which looks like army surplus from the the former DDR :wink: ) but soundwise I don't think it makes much difference.
    Maybe the Zoom delivers similar quality for half the price, but we don't know that. It will probably be good enough even if the quality is maybe lower than that of the Edirol.

2)
    The login for the forum is different and separate from the login on the main site. The login on the main site is presently only for administrators and for selected pianists on the site who participate in the Donation program.

5. Didier

Didier Member Piano Society Artist Trusted Member

Last Name:
    Brest
    First Name:
    Didier
  6. hyenal

Ph.D student
    Last Name:
    Lee
    First Name:
    Hye-Jin
    Thanks a lot for the kind replies, guys!:D
    I live in Germany, but I'm not a German. I'm a philosophy student working on a doctoral dissertation from South Korea. The first foreign language in Korea is english, but since I was here, my german has eaten up my english! Thus it's not so easy now for me, to write something in english ... Hope it gets easier!
    Hi, Nelson! Thank you for your advice! But I'm not a technic-freak... MP3 recorders would be easy to handle, or not?:roll:
    Didier, thanks for pointing H4. It would be an another solution! Could I ask you, in which aspect H4 is better than Edirol?
    And I would like to ask juufa72 and techneut: Do you guys use tripot or mic-stand with Edirol?

I hope I can buy a recorder before the Christmas and make my first recordings during the vacations...

hye-jin

7. techneut

Last Name:
    Breemer
    First Name:
    Chris
    I don't know about the Edirol R-9, but my R-1 does not have a connector for a stand or something. It can only be put down. My setup, which I'm sticking with now as it seems to produce the best result, is shown in the photos below. At least I get off my backside every now and then to operate the buttons :)

So now y'all know where all these recordings come from....

8. Didier

Didier Member Piano Society Artist Trusted Member

Last Name:
    Brest
    First Name:
    Didier
    Some comments found on internet say that the H4 would have a lower floor noise, but the recordindgs made with an Edirol available on the forum demonstrate than for piano recordings, the noise is not an issue. Other comments say that the X-Y configuration of the Zoom microphones would produce a better stereo image that the close spacing A-B configuration of the Edirol microphones. As a counterpart the ergonomy of the Edirol would be better. There are also many positive comments about the H2, which is the most recent recorder among these three ones. You can find yourself all this information by using Google. :wink:

My feeling is that all these recorders achieves similar sound quality, which can be more than good enough if the sound of the piano, the acoustics of the room and the placing of the recorder are convenient.

Thank you Chris for the photos. When I compare your so simple recording installation to mine: 2 microphones on two stands, long cables to preamp, shorter cables to audio interface,
    and still one cable to PC... and I listen to your sound, I wonder whether all my mess of audio gear was a good idea. :p

9. techneut

Last Name:
    Breemer
    First Name:
    Chris
    Well I have often thought about whether to improve my sound by using external mikes. But thinking about it rationally, it is absolutely not worth the trouble. Unless you are the most subtle of pianists with the most flawless and responsive of instruments (while seems to rule out most of us here :wink: ) the sound of the internal Edirol mikes, which are reported to be of very good quality, seems more than adequate. Add to this that mp3 is quite a poor audio format which compresses the audio quite a lot, plus that most of our recordings will not be played on high-end audio systems but on iPods or computers, using crummy earphones or speakers, and you realize there is no point in fiddling with lots of equipment. That bit of hiss in the Edirol recordings is not so bad and certainly not distracting - you had worse on vinyl recordings and nobody complained. And about the steruo separation - how much stereo do we need for a piano anyway ?

I think you should go for that H2, Didier. It will probably be more than good enough for the job and make recording so much more fun.

10. juufa72

juufa72 New Member Piano Society Artist

Last Name:
    Grocholski
    First Name:
    Julius
    Hyenal: the R-09 does not have a tripod option. I think Roland / Edirol purposely constructed the R-09 so that if you want to put in on a stand, you need to buy their $100+ accessory. Just use duct tape and an old video camera tripod and you should be set.

Techneut: Is that a Rembrant I see behind your piano? You never told us you collected masterpieces! Sheesh! You Dutch are rich, must be the tulips. :wink:

11. techneut

Last Name:
    Breemer
    First Name:
    Chris
    A Rembrandt, ha.... Not sure where you think you see that. What we collect is junk from jumblesales and fleamarkets. Then put a nice frame around them, if we can find one. No masterpieces in here.

12. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

> No masterpieces in here.

No masterpieces but the piano (which looks and sounds so well)

S.

13. hyenal

Ph.D student
    Last Name:
    Lee
    First Name:
    Hye-Jin
    Thanks

Thanks a lot, all of you!
    (Esp. for the photos, techneut! A nice grand... Is it a dutch piano?)

14. techneut

Last Name:
    Breemer
    First Name:
    Chris
    Re: Thanks

No, it's an old French Gaveau. Does not sound too bad for its age, I guess...

15. musicusblau

musicusblau Administrator Staff Member Piano Society Artist Trusted Member

High-school-teacher with subjects music and german
    Last Name:
    Pfaul
    First Name:
    Andreas
    Very interesting to see your grand, which really looks and sounds nice and your simple recording technique, which has such good results. May be I should not make too much thoughts of my recording-equipment with external mikes and sound-card and computer and so on. :?

16. techneut

Last Name:
    Breemer
    First Name:
    Chris
    This is the point I have been making in this same thread. Unless you are a professional musician wanting to make benchmark CD's, using prefessional equiment does not seem worth the trouble and money.