DONATION STATUS
Needed before 2016-12-31
$ 2,500
So far donated
$ 805

question about submissions

Discussion in 'Submission Room' started by hreichgott, Aug 16, 2011.

1. hreichgott

hreichgott New Member

Hello,

I'm thinking about submitting some recordings and have already read the guidelines page (and the policy that recording artists must participate in forum.)

The question I had that wasn't answered is: I assume that pianosociety.com only accepts unedited recordings. But I didn't see any guideline to that effect. Is that the case?

thank you!

2. Terez

Terez New Member

Student
    WLM:
    terez2727@hotmail.com
    AOL:
    terez2727
    Someone will probably be along to give you an official word soon, but from my observations it seems that edits are acceptable so long as they are unobtrusive - the type that can only be picked out by an experienced ear. A recording will be rejected for 'ugly' edits, but aside from that, the professionals edit, so why shouldn't we?

3. techneut

techneut Active Member Piano Society Artist

Last Name:
    Breemer
    First Name:
    Chris
    Yes it is the case that you did not see any guideline about this :p

Seriously though, recording completely unedited is a lofty goal that is pursued zealously by some here. But it is not necessary. Obviously there are many ways of editing - we don't approve of things like tinkering with the tempo and volume, correcting notes via MIDI, or very piecemeal recordings. But a couple of discreet cuts to eliminate flubs or join different takes are perfectly ok. Above all, any editing should be as good as inaudible. Too much editing and it will undoubtedly start to be obtrusive, as well as (hopefully) grate against your musical conscience.

I hope that makes it a bit clear, even though the rules are pretty fuzzy.

4. hreichgott

hreichgott New Member

Ok. Thank you for the information!