Thank you to those who donated to Piano Society in 2017.

Puzzles, Jokes, Anecdotes, and Thoughts

Discussion in 'General' started by pianolady, Dec 14, 2007.

1. pianolady

pianolady Monica Hart, Administrator Staff Member Piano Society Artist Trusted Member

Last Name:
    Hart
    First Name:
    Monica
    haha! some man may prefer death over having to wed a certain woman. But also the woman may prefer that too... :wink:

2. BrokenFingers

BrokenFingers New Member

o_O is this a cross-examination? I'm a member on piano society, I'm here to talk about music(though generally no one replies =/).

I am really 14 years old. I have an uncle ; P

3. pianolady

pianolady Monica Hart, Administrator Staff Member Piano Society Artist Trusted Member

Last Name:
    Hart
    First Name:
    Monica
    I'll answer your private message here.

We here on the Piano Society forums are all adults, or close to it. :wink: We don't normally talk with youngsters like you mainly because there are no kids your age on our forums - which may explain why you do not get much replies to your posts. But my initial question to you was inquiring about you - what is your name and where are you from. We like to know a little something about with whom we are conversing. Also, you are a member on the forum, but you are not a member of Piano Society. That distinction is reserved for pianists who submit recordings and then become accepted by the board. Still, you are of course welcome to participate on the Piano Society forums. Although it can sometimes take time for other members to warm up to a new person.

4. Terez

Terez New Member

Student
    Especially Monica. She is a snob. :wink:

I didn't respond to your suggestion thread because it smacks of a game thread, and I hate game threads. They are more appropriate on this forum anyway.

5. BrokenFingers

BrokenFingers New Member

Oh, okay. Sorry if I seemed a bit defensive/dramatic. I understand I am not a pianist/member of piano society.org, I wasn't trying to say that I was. Maybe a bad choice of words :lol: I didn't realize how closely knit this community was, or the general age group. I thought it was a regular forum and treated it like it was, so err.. sorry about that. :oops: And I'd be happy to give you some information about myself. Hopefully this is the correct place to put it :|

My name is John and I'm 14. I became interested in the piano/classical music a year and half ago when I started taking piano lessons. I found that I had a bit of natural ability and started taking in works by Chopin, Debussy, etc. I loved it, so I kept at it. After playing some Rachmaninoff and Chopin at a recital, I decided that I wanted to make music my life. So, I now study with a Russian pianist and spend most of my day practicing so I can build years of technique in a small amount of time(X D). Naturally, with most of my day spent on music, I'd want somebody to talk to about that, and since none of my friends or relatives are musical, I came here. My favorite composers are Chopin, Debussy, Tchaikovsky, Saint-Saens, Beethoven, Haydn, and most of all, Rachmaninoff.

@Terez Maybe I misplaced that thread. :shock: Well, anyway, I look forward to meeting you all, sorry for any trouble I caused.

Edit: Oh, I'm from Georgia, USA.

6. Terez

Terez New Member

Student
    Advice: learn some Bach. You are old enough to 'get it', and it will help you develop that technique you're after!

7. BrokenFingers

BrokenFingers New Member

I know that Bach is important, but my teachers have never given me any Bach, at least not yet. I haven't even played anything with counterpoint. Could you be so kind as to suggest a piece? (Err, maybe I'm not following the rules of this thread)

8. Terez

Terez New Member

Student
    Sure. Since you're playing Chopin etudes, go ahead and start with a WTC prelude/fugue set. From book I; c minor, d minor, and b-flat minor might be accessible to you. I tend to favor the minor keys, in case you can't tell. :wink: And yes, we are breaking the rules for this thread, so if you'd like to discuss it further, look through the repertoire forum and you might find a thread on the subject.

9. rsmullyan

rsmullyan New Member Piano Society Artist

Mathematician, Musician, Magician & Author
    Last Name:
    Smullyan
    First Name:
    Raymond
    Just came across the following true story: A man met a friend on the street and asked him if he knew the date. The friend replied that he didn't. The man said : " There is a newspaper sticking in your pocket." The friend replied: " No good, it's yesterdays."

10. pianolady

Last Name:
    Hart
    First Name:
    Monica
    I have a new joke: It's easier to 'say' than it is to "write" but I'll try...

There's this mother who has an son with some mental problems. He's not a child anymore and he's not terribly mental, but still the mother never leaves the son home alone - she always asks someone to watch over him, almost like a babysitter. Well, one day the mother has to go out and can't find anyone to come over to watch her son, so she tells the son, "I have to go out for a little while, but I want you to stay home and stay inside the house. And whatever you do, if someone comes to the door, do not open it, because if you do the troll will get you!"

So the mom is gone for only about a half hour when her cell phone rings. It's her son saying excitedly, "Mom, you have to come home right away - I just caught a troll! The mom replies, "Oh son - really now - I don't think you could have done that. Just sit tight and relax - watch some television or something. I'll be home soon". Five minutes later her phone rings again. "Mom, Mom - you have to come home. I DID catch a troll. I put him in the front coat closet and he's trying to get out. I don't know what to do! Please come home!" Again the mom tells her son, "Look, son, I'm only going to be gone for a short time. You will be fine. And I'm sure there is no troll in the closet". Minutes later her son calls again and is frantic and going crazy. "Mom, the troll - it's pounding and pounding on the door. Please, please, please, you have to come home right away - I'm so scared." The mom says, "okay son - I'm coming home."

A few minutes the later the mom walks in the front door and sure enough she hears all this pounding coming from inside the coat closet. Now she's baffled and reaches for the doorknob. 'Look out, Mom," warns the son. "That troll is very angry. It's been yelling and pounding on the door this whole time." The mom is slightly concerned now but pulls open the door. Inside is a midget who happens to be a census taker. :lol:

That's it - that's the end of the joke. Funny? I think so. Like I said earlier - it's better told 'live' !

p.s. sorry to any midgets out there... :)

11. rsmullyan

Last Name:
    Smullyan
    First Name:
    Raymond
    I must tell you of a most sweet correspondence I have had with a very lovely girl from Turkey. At one point she wrote me : " I wish I would have the priviledge of meeting you in person and listen to the secrets of having a long life love-like the one you have with your dear spouse Blanche" I wrote back to her and told her that she used the word "having", which is the present tense. I told her that she evidently didn't know that my wife passed away several years ago . Then she wrote me back something really profound:

"Seemingly, concerning the word 'having' I need to elaborate why I used the word in present tense. To be precise, using the word in present tense was a deliberate choice simply because I do not see myself in the position of using the word in the past tense. I do not think a third party like me can be judgemental about YOU 'have' or 'had' that Love for your beloved spouse. Of course I know the fact that she passed away though does that mean that the Love that you 'have' or 'had' also passed away with her? I always believe in aeon of love hence if the owner of loving heart is still beating for his or her love then loss of the other is just a continuum. I saw dear Blanche's picture on your biography and telling the truth I got amazed by her radiating look."

Isn't that remarkable? Ah, if I were only sixty years younger!

12. pianolady

Last Name:
    Hart
    First Name:
    Monica
    But then you'd be only 30 years old. Too young to fully appreciate romance - at least in my book.

13. juufa72

juufa72 New Member Piano Society Artist

Last Name:
    Grocholski
    First Name:
    Julius

*cough* 24 *cough*

14. pianolady

Last Name:
    Hart
    First Name:
    Monica
    I think Raymond is 90. 90 minus 60 = 30. Or maybe you're saying a 24-year old ( :wink: :wink:) fully understands romance.....????? I don't think I did when I was 24.

15. juufa72

Last Name:
    Grocholski
    First Name:
    Julius

So if it didn't happen to you, then it won't happen to anyone else. Paaallleeeez

I think you just can't hang with me. You probably don't have the energy anymore :mrgreen:

16. pianolady

Last Name:
    Hart
    First Name:
    Monica
    Oh, you are going to get it when you get back home! :x Wisconsin is not that far.!! :wink: :lol:

p.s. there is a difference between being horny and being romantic.... :p

17. juufa72

Last Name:
    Grocholski
    First Name:
    Julius

Oh my.... :lol:

18. rsmullyan

Last Name:
    Smullyan
    First Name:
    Raymond
    Just heard the joke about the violist of an orchestra who complained that one of the members played a practical joke on him

by tuning one of his strings down, and to make matters worse, wouldn't tell him which one !

19. rsmullyan

Last Name:
    Smullyan
    First Name:
    Raymond
    More Musical Quiz:

1--What composer never went barefoot?
    2--What composer always went barefoot?
    3--What composer was overheated?
    4--What composer belongs in a delicatessen?

Answers:

1--Shoeman
    2--Shoebare
    3--de Falla.
    4--Al baloney

20. juufa72

Last Name:
    Grocholski
    First Name:
    Julius
    ^^ how are those any less of a "mega groan" than my Czech doctors joke? Monmon, where is your groan? Hmmmm....?????