Thank you to those who donated to Piano Society in 2017.

Prelude in E minor Op.28 No.4 - Molto rubato

Discussion in 'Submission Room' started by Anonymous, Apr 29, 2008.

1. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

This very well-known Chopin prelude doesn't need any introduction.
    On the other hand, I would definitely need one, but I leave my recording speak first.

PS: this portal is just great. Congratulations to authors.

2. pianolady

pianolady Monica Hart, Administrator Staff Member Piano Society Artist Trusted Member

Last Name:
    Hart
    First Name:
    Monica
    Hello.

I think you tempo is fine and most times your dynamics are too. However, I feel your left hand is too heavy and 'thumpy'. It needs to come down much lighter and smoother. Sometimes not all three notes sounded. Some phrasing could be a little more elegant as well, such as in measure 12. Measure 16 - the left hand last two chords sounded wrong. All in all, not a bad performance. It just needs a little bit more refinement.

3. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Thank you!

Thank you very much for your detailed advices! I need to work on my heavy left hand :wink:. When ready, I will post it again to get more feedbacks from you all, as they are so valuable for me now...

4. pianolady

pianolady Monica Hart, Administrator Staff Member Piano Society Artist Trusted Member

Last Name:
    Hart
    First Name:
    Monica
    Ok, and don't forget to correct that one chord. Everybody knows this piece, so any mistake is obvious.

And btw - please introduce yourself a little.

5. techneut

techneut Active Member Piano Society Artist Trusted Member

Last Name:
    Breemer
    First Name:
    Chris
    In addition to what pianolady already pointed out, I find there are some ugly loud accents, and your rubato is often jerky and sudden, rather than graceful. My advice is always to not attempt rubato before you can play in strict tempo. As for the dynamics, I would not, in a gentle piece like this, apply hairpin dynamics (very sudden crescendo in a couple of notes). But opinions may be divided on this.

As said, not a bad performance, but it needs some more work - and we have so many recordings of this prelude that any new one needs to be pretty good !

6. hyenal

hyenal New Member Piano Society Artist

Ph.D student
    Last Name:
    Lee
    First Name:
    Hye-Jin
    Further, your right hand that leads the melody line isn't under the control sometimes, so that you make very weak sound (esp. at the end of phrasing).
    But I think you could submit a very nice performance later, when you work on these details. :wink:

7. nathanscoleman

nathanscoleman New Member Piano Society Artist

Last Name:
    Coleman
    First Name:
    Nathan
    Hells yeah!!

Anyway, nice to hear you ... good job, I agree with the others about phrasing, it just needs a little tweaking. I'd add the thought you might give a bit more attention to pedaling. It sounds as if you're methodically lifting at conclusion of each measure. A more creative pedaling might help with some of the phrasing as well.

It was very nice though. You just have the misfortune of posting a well-known piece that gets picked apart. That's why I stick to the little-known! :p Anyway, welcome.

8. hyenal

hyenal New Member Piano Society Artist

Ph.D student
    Last Name:
    Lee
    First Name:
    Hye-Jin
    Oh, I forgot the "welcome". Welcome, franespo!

And I stick to the little-known things already since 3 months because of that, too 8)
    But you know what? When you record so unknown things, you get less feedbacks :wink:
    franespo got already feedbacks from four people!

9. nathanscoleman

Last Name:
    Coleman
    First Name:
    Nathan
    Yes, but it is much easier on my fragile ego. Chris makes me cry in my pillow a lot less if he doesn't know the composition. I'm not saying he still doesn't make me cry, but just not as wretchedly! :p

10. techneut

Last Name:
    Breemer
    First Name:
    Chris
    Quit your yip-a-yap - you aint't hurt ! Get on with it, or you'll meet my friend PAIN ... :lol:

11. nathanscoleman

Last Name:
    Coleman
    First Name:
    Nathan
    oooo ... like .. a spanking? :oops:

12. demonic_advent

demonic_advent New Member

Last Name:
    Mansi
    First Name:
    Chris
    But who doesn't like a good spanking? :twisted:

... ... ... oops. Did I just say that outloud? :oops:

13. techneut

Last Name:
    Breemer
    First Name:
    Chris
    Bunch of pervs :shock:

14. nathanscoleman

Last Name:
    Coleman
    First Name:
    Nathan
    Hells yeah!!!

lololol

15. demonic_advent

demonic_advent New Member

Last Name:
    Mansi
    First Name:
    Chris
    I'm not a pervert... I just happen to enjoy the finer things in life.

Like spankings :p

16. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

This site is great :D, my first post had 14 replies, ranging from very detailed feedbacks (thank you all again) to "other" :lol: things like:

I've seriously fallen in love with pianosociety, now. :p

Getting back on topic, I've worked on your advices and recorded the piece again. Hope you see improvements and looking forward to more feedbacks...

A bit on myself: I'm an Italian guy, working in the north-east of England, passioned about Music (of course), former double-bass student in Italian "Conservatorio" (Lecce and Turin), now studying piano, and avid fan of Chopin, Bach, Brahms and some others. I believe pianosociety is a great project and I would like to start contributing with recordings and sheet Music (I play around with score editors).

17. pianolady

Last Name:
    Hart
    First Name:
    Monica
    Hi again,

I heard no wrong notes this time. :)

As far as your tone goes - The left hand is still a little too 'thumpy' but it is better than before. I can tell that you're playing on a digital piano and I'm pretty sure you are applying pedal, but maybe you need to use more of it to soften things up. Perhaps the piano action is making it sound like that. Try keeping the pedal down through each four LH eighth notes. Also, your RH should be more legato on all the phrases. I heard too many breaks. The pause at the end I feel is too long. Last three chords - I cannot hear the top RH notes, the E-D#-E. We have to hear those!

18. techneut

Last Name:
    Breemer
    First Name:
    Chris
    In that case - get yer ass over here :!:

19. techneut

Last Name:
    Breemer
    First Name:
    Chris
    Good ! Just don't talk about music too much - it's real boring :wink:

This new recording is better indeed, but to be honest, but not very much yet. It rather sounds like an etude for the LH with obbligato accompaniment of the RH. These LH chords are much too uneven, loud, and rhythmically unstable. They should be gently pulsating, not throbbing, if you see what I mean. I would again recommend to practice it in strict tempo, as you have a habit of rushing small note groups. And, work on even chord attack. As Monica says, you could use more pedal to make the LH chords float rather than throb. And make these final chords sound properly.

One thing I often recommend is not to re-record a piece too quickly. I know it is tempting but usually does not produce significantly better results - unless it's just a matter of cleaning a few tiny specks. In this case, there is rather more work to do. The notes are all there, now make them sing !

20. nathanscoleman

Last Name:
    Coleman
    First Name:
    Nathan
    Who knew?? Chris is a top!!! :lol:

Forget the pinstripe suit, Chris ... I'm gonna picture you in black latex from here on out! :shock: