Thank you to all those who donated in 2015!

DONATION STATUS
Needed before 2016-12-31
$ 2,500
So far donated
$ 595

Practice technique

Discussion in 'Useful resources' started by pianolady, Oct 15, 2013.

1. pianolady

pianolady Monica Hart, Administrator Staff Member Piano Society Artist

Last Name:
    Hart
    First Name:
    Monica
    This was all over Facebook yesterday, so maybe some of you have already seen it. I think it is very interesting and makes a lot of sense. I'm going to try it going forward from tonight's practice session...see if it works.

http://www.bulletproofmusician.com/why- ... overnight/

2. techneut

techneut Active Member Piano Society Artist

Last Name:
    Breemer
    First Name:
    Chris
    Hm. I'm always wary of this kind of "You've been doing it all wrong" article. Here comes another one who knows the best way for everybody.

While you can find parallels with anything if you try hard enough, I think music can hardly be compared to baseball. Or maybe playing the clarinet can, it looks more like a bat than the piano :mrgreen:

But I do not see why repetition (or rather, repeated practicing of passages) would be so boring. It would only be boring if there was no progress, in which case you might as well not do it. I find the slow process of improving through repeated practice very engaging and rewarding. It is true of course that practicing one passage should not be done for hours on end, or fatigue and frustration will set in. But to sit down and make a scheme to rigidly chop up practice sessions in 2-or 3 minute snippets, then going to the piano with a piece of paper and a clock, that would bore me to tears in no time (heck, the very idea bores me to start with) and take away all the pleasure in the music.

But hey, perhaps it will work for you, and make your Scarlatti perfect in no time :p

3. pianolady

pianolady Monica Hart, Administrator Staff Member Piano Society Artist

Last Name:
    Hart
    First Name:
    Monica
    Well...actually...I forgot all about practicing this way when I was at my piano tonight.

But that's okay, because I hear what you're saying. Not long ago, I read another report stating that when you work on something at night and repeat it over and over, your brain continues to work it out while you are sleeping, and then the next day you will find that you can perform the task better. Totally contradictory to this new study.

Ok, so forget it.... I actually did! :lol: