Thank you to those who donated to Piano Society in 2017.

Poulenc

Discussion in 'Submission Room' started by John Robson, Sep 17, 2008.

1. John Robson

John Robson New Member Piano Society Artist

Retired
    Last Name:
    Robson
    First Name:
    John
    I'm hesitant to submit this, but after a glass of Cabernet, it doesn't sound too bad. The beginning of this drives me crazy because it sounds like a Negro Spiritual called "My Lord, What a Mornin'". I'd like to play this piece even slower than this is, but it's supposed to be faster. I love the subtle harmonies in the soft sections. I've played too much today and my hand will probably really be bad tomorrow.

Also a big favor: I learned to amplify works that were recorded at a low input level. The Nocturne No. 4 is difficult to hear at the current level. So I request that you replace it with this amplified version. I guess I'm still learning to use Audacity. (Slow learner. :oops:)

Poulenc: Nocturne No. 1 in C Major

Poulenc - Nocturne No. 1 in C Major

Poulenc - Nocturne No. 4 in C minor

2. pianolady

pianolady Monica Hart, Administrator Staff Member Piano Society Artist Trusted Member

Last Name:
    Hart
    First Name:
    Monica
    I 'clink' my glass of merlot to your glass of cabernet. (not really - only coffee in my cup right now)

Ok - I have replaced the no. 4 and added the no. 1. I see what you mean about that spiritual. Thanks a lot for planting that one in my head this morning! :x :) And it sure doesn't seem like it should go any faster.

Nice job, John - I think I'd like to look at Poulenc again one of these days. I like his music.

About amplifying - I'm not sure about this, but Andreas recently explained how to use the 'normalize' function on recordings, so I've started doing this too. I think that when you 'normalize' the recording, you are also bringing up the volume to the maximum level before it 'peaks out', but I'm not really sure if it is the same thing as if you just 'amplify' the recording.

3. liszt1970

liszt1970 New Member

Pianist / Teacher
    Home Page:
    Hi,

Just wanted to let you know that both recordings are of the same piece, Nocturne No. 1. Nice playing, by the way...

AD

4. Rachfan

Rachfan Active Member Piano Society Artist

Chief Operating Officer, retired
    Last Name:
    April
    First Name:
    David
    Hi John,

Really nice playing. I thoroughly enjoyed your Poulenc renditions.

I found Audacity too frustrating. Now I use AVS Editor which is far more user friendly in my opinon.

David

5. musicusblau

musicusblau Administrator Staff Member Piano Society Artist Trusted Member

High-school-teacher with subjects music and german
    Last Name:
    Pfaul
    First Name:
    Andreas
    Very nice pieces. I enjoyed your performance very much. The input-level of your recording seems well adapted IMO.

6. nathanscoleman

nathanscoleman New Member Piano Society Artist

Last Name:
    Coleman
    First Name:
    Nathan
    Long live red wine and piano playing!!!!!!!!!!! :D

It reminds of a movie I saw where the piano teacher and student would sit around all day playing piano, drinking wine and making love. My teenage dream!! :lol: And I'm a merlot man myself. mmmm ... is 9am too early? It's happy hour somewhere, right?

In any case, these went lovely with my morning coffee, John - hazelnut cream with a dollop of whipped cream on top ... decadent! But wow ... Poulenc?? really?? so lush ... I've always found him more angular. yet another composer I need to learn more about.

Congrats!

ps - how's the hand? I disappeared last week for tests. They punctured my spinal column and injected a dye, then hanged me upside down and ran probing tests. Reminded me of a Saturday night with the missus!! :shock: :lol: Well, maybe not ... she usually makes me wear the gimp mask! :wink: Doc said I have a "very large bone spur pushing the nerve bundle out of position" ... supposedly, I'm at risk of paralysis in that leg if I don't get surgery soon ... so hurray!

7. pianolady

pianolady Monica Hart, Administrator Staff Member Piano Society Artist Trusted Member

Last Name:
    Hart
    First Name:
    Monica
    my adult dream!! :lol: :lol:

Nathan, that test sounds awful. Upside down? You're going for the surgery, right?

8. nathanscoleman

nathanscoleman New Member Piano Society Artist

Last Name:
    Coleman
    First Name:
    Nathan
    hells yeah ... I can't wait to be mobile!!!

9. fluterific00

fluterific00 Member

Private Piano Teacher College Piano Teacher Accomp
    Home Page:
    hi

I've never played Poulenc or don't know much about him. Very soothing and relaxing music it sounds.

10. pianolady

Last Name:
    Hart
    First Name:
    Monica
    Re: hi

As a flute player myself, I'm surprised you don't know Poulenc's Flute Sonata. I played in competition a long time ago. It's really wonderful.

11. fluterific00

fluterific00 Member

Private Piano Teacher College Piano Teacher Accomp
    Home Page:
    hi

I guess I'll have to check into them. :)

12. John Robson

John Robson New Member Piano Society Artist

Retired
    Last Name:
    Robson
    First Name:
    John
    A belated thanks for taking the time to listen. I like Poulenc more and more. It's unbelievable that he said he didn't like to compose for the piano because it was so frustrating, or something like that. Actually his chamber music is even better than his piano music in my opinion. I would like to have played these better, but this is the best I can do at this time.