Thank you to those who donated to Piano Society in 2017.

Poulenc

Discussion in 'Submission Room' started by John Robson, Oct 27, 2007.

1. John Robson

John Robson New Member Piano Society Artist

Retired
    Last Name:
    Robson
    First Name:
    John
    Extreme boredom has brought about a change of heart. I'm already depressed about not being able to play the piano. I hope these short pieces are not too painful for listeners. As I mentioned in my last post, I made preliminary recordings of three Poulenc pieces. I posted the Nocturne, but not the other two. I've decided to go ahead and post the other two since I probably won't be able to post anything for a while. I have a doctor appointment Monday to begin the "Carpal Tunnel Experience." I just hope it is not a very prolonged process. If I recover quickly, I'll re-do these two, hopefully up to speed and cleaned up a bit. They are both a little slow.

Three Novelettes - No. 2

Valse Assez vif

2. Lord Nelson

Lord Nelson New Member Piano Society Artist

Last Name:
    Scheja
    First Name:
    Nelson
    Hey, these are really nice played! They are NOT painful to hear! :wink:
    And btw, I find the tempo OK (although I don't know the pieces).

3. techneut

techneut Active Member Piano Society Artist Trusted Member

Last Name:
    Breemer
    First Name:
    Chris
    These are very solid and accomplished performances John. Poulenc's music is much more difficult than it sounds, and you handle it extremely well. That Valse I would not even want to do much faster, the Novellette can do with a bit more dash and folly (now there's an apt word tp decrobe Poulenc in high spirits !). But quite an achievement as it is.

Of course these are more than good enough to go up the site. My only point of critique is that both sound a bit grim and unsmiling, the Novellette more so than the droll little waltz. Especially the middle part of the Novellette seems rather harsh and devoid of the characteristic Poulencian charm. But I can imagine the impending CTS does not help to play optimally relaxed.

That is Bad Shit by the way... I hope it will sort itself out soon. But I do wonder. You have been so active since joining PS and could it be you've been overdoing things just a bit ?

4. John Robson

Retired
    Last Name:
    Robson
    First Name:
    John
    Thanks for your responses. Chris, perhaps I have been overdoing things a bit. However, I am obsessed with learning as many new things as possible. It's hard to hold myself back. I'm afraid that I'll have to have surgery and a recovery period.

I'm amazed at how much I like these little Poulenc pieces. Each one is so different from the others. I feel the rather strange Valse to be one of those pieces influenced by the industrial revolution, and so it feels somewhat mechanical to me. Perhaps that's totally off-base. The Novelette is a light hearted piece that toys with musical ideas. I feel it is quite playful. However, my right hand was hurting pretty badly when I tried to record all three Poulenc pieces. In fact, you can hear the tempo change where I had to stop in the middle of the Novelette and rest my hand for a few minutes. The tempo change wasn't purposeful. I believe the hand pain contributed to the "harshness." I normally play with a very flexible relaxed wrist, but it's not apparent in this post. It will be wonderful if this ol' West Virginia Hillbilly can ever play with the charm these pieces need. But I hope to try again!

5. techneut

Last Name:
    Breemer
    First Name:
    Chris
    Haha yes, tell me about that :lol:

6. avguste

avguste Member Piano Society Artist Trusted Member

concert pianist,piano teacher
    Home Page:
    Last Name:
    Antanov
    First Name:
    Avguste
    Nice. It sounds great.You have a nice touch
    The first one has some familiarity with Poulenc concerto for 2 pianos and orchestra

I also agree with techneut's comments. A little too unsmiling,expecially in the Valse

7. robert

robert Active Member Piano Society Artist Trusted Member

Home Page:
    Last Name:
    Stahlbrand
    First Name:
    Robert
    I do not think they sound easy to play and you manage it very well.

But what's with your wrist? Carpal tunnel pain...be careful, my right hand's wrist hurt quite a lot from time to time and perhaps I suffer from the same problem but it cannot be that hard as I can ignore it and it heels very fast.

Chris. How do we file these works? I guess the Valse for piano is unique and not part of a set? The Novelette is the second of two, should we make a category out of that?

8. techneut

Last Name:
    Breemer
    First Name:
    Chris
    I am not sure if these are from a set and if so, which one(s). I would urge all submitters (especially John :wink: ) to provide that sort of information. I guess the Valse may the the one from the 'Album des Six' but not sure really...

9. John Robson

Retired
    Last Name:
    Robson
    First Name:
    John
    Sorry I didn't provide more information,

The Valse: Assez vif is not part of a set although I believe Poulenc wrote at least three waltzes. I know he wrote one on the name B-A-C-H.

I also believe he wrote three Novelettes, I assume as a set. I don't have plans to learn the other two. No. 2 is my favorite.

There are very few compositions by Poulenc on the site, and I doubt that there will be many more. I don't see why it's necessary to create separate pages for each category or group. I don't plan to do any Poulenc complete sets and doubt that anyone else does (Of course, Chris has already posted the Suite Francais.) The truth is I love certain Poulenc works, but others leave me cold.

10. techneut

Last Name:
    Breemer
    First Name:
    Chris
    It isn't. With several composers, pieces are listed in a Miscellaneous page, and I guess both these pieces should go in there as it is indeed unlikely we'll get more Poulenc Novellettes. Actually I would propose to put any lone piece (even if it is part of a set) in Miscellaneous until there come in more. But if the pianist plans on more set items (not necessarily a C.S.) we should of course create the separate page right away.

11. techneut

Last Name:
    Breemer
    First Name:
    Chris
    Just found out that I have the score for the Three Novelettes - they are a set indeed. The nrs 1 and 3 are much simpler than the middle one, the third a variation of a famous theme from Falla's El Amor Brujo. It would be nice to have these as a set. I play 1 and 3 but, being a lazy sod, never put much work into no.2. Maybe I'll record these two now - we must have more Poulenc.

12. John Robson

Retired
    Last Name:
    Robson
    First Name:
    John
    Chris, it would be nice if you would post Novelettes Nos. 1 & 3. I listened to recordings of them and looked at the score of No.1 on everynote.com, but I only liked the second one.

I liked a couple other piano pieces, but what I really like by Poulenc is his chamber music.

13. pianolady

pianolady Monica Hart, Administrator Staff Member Piano Society Artist Trusted Member

Last Name:
    Hart
    First Name:
    Monica
    The Novelette is up.

Chris/Robert - does the Waltz go under Poulenc but I make a separate 'miscellaneous' page for it, or is the miscellaneous page somewhere else?

14. techneut

Last Name:
    Breemer
    First Name:
    Chris
    Yes, please create a Miscellaneous page under Poulenc and put the Waltz in there. This is what we do with odds and ends of other composers.

I will record the other Novelettes in the near future. Isn't PS a great place ! Thanks to John I have rediscovered these pieces. I had not played them for many years and had all but forgotten how absolutely delectable they are. Especially the first and last. I can't fathom how anybody can like the second but not the other two, which show Poulenc at his most gentle, warm-hearted and humane. I think if I had to pick one French composer it would have to be Poulenc (I consider Chopin hors competition as he was half Polish :wink: ).

15. pianolady

pianolady Monica Hart, Administrator Staff Member Piano Society Artist Trusted Member

Last Name:
    Hart
    First Name:
    Monica
    Ok, John - the Valse is up now too. Sorry it took me so long.