Thank you to those who donated to Piano Society in 2017.

Poulenc - Les Soirees de Nazelles

Discussion in 'Submission Room' started by tpascale, Jul 16, 2008.

1. tpascale

tpascale Member Piano Society Artist Trusted Member

Last Name:
    Pascale
    First Name:
    Tom
    Poulenc's Les Soirees de Nazelles: Preambule, 8 Variations, Cadence, Finale.

Hinson's book cites Poulenc saying, "The variations which form the center of this work were improvised at Nazelles during the course of long soirees in the country when the author played at 'Portraits' with friends grouped around the piano. We hope today that, presented between a Preambule and a Finale, they will evoke the memory of this game played in the setting of a Touraine salon, a window opening into the night."

Recorded on a Yamaha Grantouch GT2 plugged into an Edirol UA25. The digital sound unfortunately washes out some of the attacks and dynamics but otherwise I think the sound quality is pretty good.

Poulenc - Les Soirées de Nazelles - 0: Préambule ( 3:33 )
    Poulenc - Les Soirées de Nazelles - 1: Le comble de la distinction ( 1:16 )
    Poulenc - Les Soirées de Nazelles - 2: Le cour sur la main ( 2:41 )
    Poulenc - Les Soirées de Nazelles - 3: La desinvolture et la discretion ( 1:23 )
    Poulenc - Les Soirées de Nazelles - 4: La suite dans les idées ( 1:59 )
    Poulenc - Les Soirées de Nazelles - 5: Le charme enjoleur ( 2:24 )
    Poulenc - Les Soirées de Nazelles - 6: Le contentement de soi ( 1:10 )
    Poulenc - Les Soirées de Nazelles - 7: Le gout du malheur ( 3:14 )
    Poulenc - Les Soirées de Nazelles - 8: L'alerte vieillesse ( 1:17 )
    Poulenc - Les Soirées de Nazelles - 9: Cadence ( 1:38 )
    Poulenc - Les Soirées de Nazelles - 10: Final ( 3:39 )

2. Didier

Didier Member Piano Society Artist Trusted Member

Last Name:
    Brest
    First Name:
    Didier
    I do not know well the music from Poulenc. A liitle bit of his opera Dialogues des Carmélites. I was rather sceptical but decided to give a try to your recordings. The Préambule caught my interest. Le comble de la distinction confirmed this interest and I spend a very nice musical time in listening all the other Variations. Thank you very much for this discovery.

The sound of your GT2 is excellent on my loudspeakers. The digital illusion does not work as well on earphones. I hope that you will persevere in recording your Steinway.

3. tpascale

Last Name:
    Pascale
    First Name:
    Tom
    Recently I have become less satisfied with the Yamaha GT2 sound. I recently had the action regulated and since then the sound (to me) has been a little off - the decay is wrong at times, sounds less natural. Maybe I've become more finicky, or maybe the instrument it's just showing its age - over 10 yrs old. Anyway, I will but haven't yet solved my Steinway recording issues, but I have attached video bookends of the first and last of the set played on the Steinway and captured on a Sony camcorder. Despite the hot weather and the informal nature of the music, after looking at the video, I wish I had changed into long pants. But here it is anyway.

Poulenc's music is not so virtuosic, but it's tricky in places. From playing this set and a few other things (e.g. the opening piano solo from Aubade), it would be my opinion that Poulenc had a very strong right pinky.

4. techneut

techneut Active Member Piano Society Artist Trusted Member

Last Name:
    Breemer
    First Name:
    Chris
    I have not been able to listen to the complete set yet, but I did watch the videos (office firewall prohibits mp3's but allows wmv's - go figure !). I'd have enjoyed the shorts more had you been of the other gender :wink:

Pristine performances as usual. You must have prepared this for a very long time ! I know this set very well but never really seriously practiced it. It is worth the effort as this is one of Poulenc's finest piano compositions (even though reputedly he was not fond of it himself). It is not exactly terribly difficult but as you say, plenty of tricky writing. To complete such a large work in such quality is a great achievement and a wonderful addition to the site. I will be back with more detailed comments later.

5. felipesarro

felipesarro New Member

System Analyst, for now
    Chris, I didn't knew that.

As most of us are amateurs here, so many other people may find this problem also (fortunately, I am a System Developer, so I use no firewall in the office =D)
    In my new recordings, I will also post a link to my personal website, with the same file in extension .TXT (so people can download and rename it to .MP3)

About Poulenc...
    I know beans about this composer (a shame, because he's famous and I should know him), but you playing it quite nice to me.

6. techneut

Last Name:
    Breemer
    First Name:
    Chris
    So am I, sort of. All the same, we are not allowed to download any mp3's and I don't know how to get around this. I wish I could get the mail client to work on our PS server then I'd have a script mailing all new recordings to my hotmail. Downloading mp3 attachments from hotmail (or office Outlook mail) is not a problem.

7. techneut

Last Name:
    Breemer
    First Name:
    Chris
    Marvellous playing Tom :!: Some of the best we have on the site (barring the professionals against which the amateurs don't stand a chance). I think you should enroll in the Van Cliburn competition for outstanding amateurs, you'll make a good chance. I have heard only parts of this but it seems to be beyond criticism.
    My only possible nag with this is that, as usual, you play a bit on safe. Especially in the finale, I miss that element of abandon (follement vite... ). Don't be afraid to live dangerously !

8. hyenal

hyenal New Member Piano Society Artist

Ph.D student
    Last Name:
    Lee
    First Name:
    Hye-Jin
    I completely agree with Chris!! I've listened to the complete cycle and also the videos. One could hardly believe that you aren't a pro. I enjoyed this admirable performance with the greatest of pleasure :!:
    (Btw did you play this from the memory? In the videos you seem to take no glance at the score even though you have it on the stand.)

9. tpascale

Last Name:
    Pascale
    First Name:
    Tom
    Thanks for the kind words - glad you liked the music. Chris - I don't think I'll enroll in that Van Cliburn for amateurs. I've watched the performances on YouTube (worth checking out if you haven't seen them) - and the level of playing even in the amateur competition is way up there. Besides, they take off points for do-overs, which I make frequent use of in my home recordings. But I will try work on that follement vite.

10. techneut

Last Name:
    Breemer
    First Name:
    Chris
    This is on the site. Tom, please check if everything is in good order. Thanks for doing the ID3 tags, that saves some work. I still had to change some things though. See the titles above for how the 'Name' field should be done correctly. You might also consider putting in the special French characters (I've done that on the site). It would be great if I did not have to modify the tags at all, lazy bastard that I am :lol:

11. techneut

Last Name:
    Breemer
    First Name:
    Chris
    NB - The timings do not have to be put in, that is done automatically.

12. alf

alf Active Member Piano Society Artist

Last Name:
    Bertazzi
    First Name:
    Alfonso
    Tom, as a fan of Poulenc and yours, I listened to this set with great pleasure. I second Chris about the quality of your playing. Also, having listened to your previous recordings I find (and dare say :)) you are growing stronger and stronger as a musician.