DONATION STATUS
Needed before 2016-12-31
$ 2,500
So far donated
$ 860

Postlude

Discussion in 'Composing' started by John Robson, Aug 25, 2007.

1. John Robson

John Robson New Member Piano Society Artist

Retired
    Last Name:
    Robson
    First Name:
    John
    I'm definitely NOT a composer though I yearn to be. I would love to create something beautiful of my own rather than always having to resort to playing other people's works. However, it was not in the cards for me. I recently ran across this little "Postlude" that I did while I was in high school. I like the descending bass line. It's very simple and admittedly not very creative. But I'm sharing it with you any way.

2. pianolady

pianolady Monica Hart, Administrator Staff Member Piano Society Artist

Last Name:
    Hart
    First Name:
    Monica
    Hi John,
    Your getting pretty brave, here. Just like poetry, putting up a composition is truly opening up yourself.

I think this is a very pretty piece. It could be in a love story movie - one with a bitter-sweet ending like one I recently watched. Also, it sort of reminds me of Henry Mancini.

3. MindenBlues

MindenBlues New Member Piano Society Artist

Home Page:
    Last Name:
    Schmidt
    First Name:
    Olaf
    John, I like it much! Envites to dream! Unfortunately, the dream ended so short. Could go longer. Nice harmonies, combined with beautiful keytouch, very lyrical. It's poetry, I agree with Monica.

Thanks much for sharing!

4. techneut

techneut Active Member Piano Society Artist

Last Name:
    Breemer
    First Name:
    Chris
    Very pleasant indeed ! And too short as Olaf says, it could have been elaborated a bit on (though one must be careful not to let a theme outstay its welcome, which luckily you did not do). Very well performed too. For someone who is 'not a composer' you did a nice job.

One little niggle... repeating the theme an octave higher seems like a terrible cliche to me. You hear that all the time in virtuoso violine music by Paganini, Sarasate, etc. and in cross-over piano repertoire. Maybe it's just me being allergic to it.

Attached Files:

5. r590

r590 New Member

Very nice! But a bit too short. I find most of my non-musical friends can't even identify when something is repeated an octave higher... they just remember the theme again. So I'd say its not a bad approach.