Thank you to those who donated to Piano Society in 2017.

Ponce-Scherzino Mexicano

Discussion in 'Submission Room' started by arensky, Apr 13, 2010.

1. arensky

arensky New Member

Musician
    Home Page:
    More Ponce 8)

Take 2 of 3, about 47 minutes ago. One clinker, but it doesn't seem to matter. Comments appreciated, as always.

Ponce - Scherzino Mexicano

2. techneut

techneut Active Member Piano Society Artist

Last Name:
    Breemer
    First Name:
    Chris
    Nicely done Chase ! I did not hear a clinker - but I don't know this piece.

Somehow, this being a Scherzino, I had expected it to be a bit lighter on its feet. It sounds a tad serious and melancholic, but maybe that was your intention. No rule saying that Scherzino's should be fast and silly. The last chord is featherlight indeed ! Maybe a bit too much ? Anyway, great job, and a likeable and elegant piece.

Do you know Ponce's Concierto del Sur ? I still think that s his best music, although some of his orchestral works, especially those where he employs native meolidies and instruments, are great too.

3. pianolady

pianolady Monica Hart, Administrator Staff Member Piano Society Artist Trusted Member

Last Name:
    Hart
    First Name:
    Monica
    This is up, Chase. And maybe I'm going bonkers, but I swear I saw another Ponce recording up here last night. For some reason, my internet was going slow as molasses so I didn't download it then. ?

Also, can't remember if we discussed this already, but are you planning on writing a Ponce biography? We still need one.

4. arensky

arensky New Member

Musician
    Home Page:
    I know, my first recording was too lyrical, it didn't dance. The score is marked mostly piano, with a build up to f before the return of the A theme, after the development. There are many pedal marking and legato slurs. It almost seems like an anti-scherzino, very soft and introspective. The final chord is marked pp.

I have a recording by Jorge Frederico Osorio of Ponce piano works, and he does all these idiomatic phrasings that I don't want to attempt, being a gringo :lol: BTW that record is titled "Ballada Mexicana" and is superb, it's available on Itunes. The score to this piece and all the Ponce pieces I'm recording are on IMSLP, check 'em out, it's wonderful piano music.

I've played that in piano reduction which is a very good one, Ponce was an excellent pianist and probably prepared it himself. It's like piano music, not a clunky arrangement and very fun to play. Cool thing about that is that I played it with Tom Sheeley, the winner of the 1980 Ponce International Guitar Competition, he's a good friend of mine. He's helped me a lot with the interpretation of these pieces, being a Ponce addict and master of his music. Still to come is the Gavota but it might have to wait a few days, there's a lot to do this week and weekend.

5. arensky

arensky New Member

Musician
    Home Page:
    That would've been the Elegia, and yes you put it up.Sounds like you're doing taxes :shock: .

I will write a biography of Ponce in May after the semester's over.

6. Rachfan

Rachfan Active Member Piano Society Artist

Chief Operating Officer, retired
    Last Name:
    April
    First Name:
    David
    Hi Chase,

This was a first hearing for me. The piece is very pleasant and charming with that south-of-the-border seasoning. I believe you played it very well. Very nice!

I must admit that in all my travels I had never once run into a scherzino before. So I decided to look it up. Elson's dictionary has a 99.9% reliability on music terms... but not this time. Then I checked Alfred's. Nada. Next, surely the Harvard--nope! And, thankfully, finally I found scherzino (also seen as scherzetto which I have encountered) in Hinson's. Anyway, I learned that it's a small scherzo, and after all that research will certainly never forget the term. Just goes to prove though that any aspiring pianist should have at least four music dictionaries hanging about at all times! :lol: Hmmm, but come to think of it, the Italian diminutive -ino ending should have been the giveaway for me. :oops:

David