Thank you to those who donated to Piano Society in 2017.

Ponce-Elegia de la Ausencia

Discussion in 'Submission Room' started by arensky, Apr 10, 2010.

1. arensky

arensky New Member

Musician
    Home Page:
    An incredible work by Ponce, recorded this evening. I also recorded his Intermezzo, Scherzino Mexicano and Gavota but my playing of them was not satisfactory. I expect you'll be hearing them soon, though.

I added some gain to this recording and the R level bar in my .aup file went red at the two big climaxes, but it sounds ok to me, no distortion that I can hear. Please let me know if I should take the gain out and resubmit this.

I like the new look of the forum, much easier on the eyes. :)

Oh, and; should I write a biography of Ponce? I would like to and he needs one. I can have it for you in May, after the semester's over.

Ponce - Elegia de la Ausencia

2. techneut

techneut Active Member Piano Society Artist

Last Name:
    Breemer
    First Name:
    Chris
    A thoroughly beautiful piece, flawlessly played. The only thing I can nitpick on are the couple appoggiaturas which seem a bit too clipped. I'd have take just a fraction more time for them.

The sounds seemed to go a little harsh there, but it did not disturb me.

That's an offer we can't refuse :wink:
    Good to see you back with a recording !

3. arensky

arensky New Member

Musician
    Home Page:
    Glad you liked this Chris, it's definitely one of my better efforts.

I'll be around more after the semester's over. I've been away from the internet in general, life and work are keeping me very (too) busy at the moment. But you'll be getting at least a couple more recordings from me before then. And now, to prepare for an education class I have to take this weekend to keep my job in the fall; I've been avoiding doing this for years but I can dispense with it in two 8 hour class sessions. What a fun weekend! :roll:

Wish we had the barfing smiley for that comment :mrgreen:

4. pianolady

pianolady Monica Hart, Administrator Staff Member Piano Society Artist Trusted Member

Last Name:
    Hart
    First Name:
    Monica
    Sounded very nice, Chase. I only heard a tiny little bit of clipping, but not a big deal. My only gripe is that I wish you would have held out that very last low note a bit longer. But I suspect that it's not written as such, and I have the score but I'm too lazy to get up and go find it. Anyway, nicely played and it is up on the site.

5. techneut

techneut Active Member Piano Society Artist

Last Name:
    Breemer
    First Name:
    Chris
    I thought that, too, but forgot to mention. Even though it is written as a short note, it should maybe have been allowed to sound out longer.

6. arensky

arensky New Member

Musician
    Home Page:
    I wondered about the last note, tried it both ways, and went for the shorter note. They both work, guess it's a matter of taste. Thanks for commenting.

7. Francois de Larrard

Francois de Larrard Administrator Staff Member Piano Society Artist Trusted Member

Researcher
    Home Page:
    Last Name:
    Larrard
    First Name:
    Francois de
    Thank you so much for letting me discovering this composer... Sounds really latin, somewhat simpler than the Spanish ones of the same time, but fresh and agreable. Hope you can continue to bring other pieces of this kind !

8. arensky

arensky New Member

Musician
    Home Page:
    I will, I really enjoy his music and it "plays" well for me, it's definitely time well spent. I just posted the Intermezzo in e minor, and the Gavota will follow very soon. All these pieces are available on IMSLP. I'm glad you like them!

9. Rachfan

Rachfan Active Member Piano Society Artist

Chief Operating Officer, retired
    Last Name:
    April
    First Name:
    David
    Hi Chase,

This is a very lovely elegy, and you capture its mood exceptionally well. I love the ever present harmonic ostinato figure.

David