Thank you to those who donated to Piano Society in 2017.

Pleyel Minuet in C (Revised)

Discussion in 'Submission Room' started by epf, Feb 12, 2008.

1. epf

epf New Member

Author/Computer Geek
    Attached is a redone version of Pleyel's Minuet in C with greater attention to synchronization and tempo.

Ed

Pleyel - Minuet in C

2. pianolady

pianolady Monica Hart, Administrator Staff Member Piano Society Artist Trusted Member

Last Name:
    Hart
    First Name:
    Monica
    Hi,
    I do not know this piece so I can't comment much. It sounds like you have good handle on it, though.
    Since the Pleyel family was much involved with Chopin, I would like to someday look into the music written by - is this the elder Pleyel? Did he write very much? I really know nothing about him.

3. epf

epf New Member

Author/Computer Geek
    pianolady,

Ignace Pleyel (1757-1831) was an Austrian composer who was quite prolific and very well known in his time. Sadly, his music seems to have fallen by the wayside in more modern times. One of that factors that contributed to the decline of his music was the fact that he virtually ceased composing when he opened his music publishing business. This, while successful, led him to the manufacturing of pianos (the company he started continues to make pianos today). It was Pleyel's son, Camille (1788-1855), a virtuoso pianist, who was close to Chopin. Chopin was also said to favor the Pleyel piano for his own works.

I have been searching for and collecting the piano works of Ignace Pleyel and hope to record them all in the future.

Ed

4. musicusblau

musicusblau Administrator Staff Member Piano Society Artist Trusted Member

High-school-teacher with subjects music and german
    Last Name:
    Pfaul
    First Name:
    Andreas
    I think, you are on a good way with this. It sounds well articulated and you give me the feeling, to have made thoughts about every note. (May be the staccato sometimes sounds a bit to short for me, but I think, that´s a question of personal sensation.)
    Nice record!

5. epf

epf New Member

Author/Computer Geek
    musicusblau,

Vielen dank! I'd reply in German, but I have forgotten most of what I once knew (I lived in Wiesbaden from 1966 to 1969).

Ed

6. techneut

techneut Active Member Piano Society Artist Trusted Member

Last Name:
    Breemer
    First Name:
    Chris
    From what I remember of the first version, this sounds a lot better indeed. The startled jumps at the end of phrases take some getting used to, but otherwise this is a commendable and solid performance. I recommend that we put this in the 'Various' composers page, unless you have plans to record more Pleyel, in which case we can create composer page.

To put you up as a pianist, we will also need your biography and (optionally) photograph.

7. techneut

techneut Active Member Piano Society Artist Trusted Member

Last Name:
    Breemer
    First Name:
    Chris
    I read only now, Ed, that you are planning to record Pleyel's complete piano output. So we'll
    definitely need a Pleyel page. As you seem to know some about him, can we ask you to provide the biography for him ? You can look at some existing bios to get an idea of what we want (it should
    preferably fit on one screen, it's not supposed to be a full refrence work).

8. hyenal

hyenal New Member Piano Society Artist

Ph.D student
    Last Name:
    Lee
    First Name:
    Hye-Jin
    It's a very cute piece, I think :D
    I heard his name once likely... Didn't he compose a clarinett concerto??

9. rachchopinfan

rachchopinfan New Member

Pleyel

Hello Ed, very nice that you like Pleyel musics. I enjoy your playing! Yes, his son Camille Pleyel was the one that provided piano for Chopin many times and Chopin said good things about him in "Chopin's Letters" book where he said that "is a good fela this Pleyel"

Here some about his life:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ignaz_Pleyel

10. epf

epf New Member

Author/Computer Geek
    Yes! His Concerto in B-flat for Clarinet and Piano and his Concerto in C-Major for Clarinet.

Ed

11. epf

epf New Member

Author/Computer Geek
    Chris,

At present I only have two piano pieces by him. There are supposed to be 70 short works for piano, but I'm trying to find out who publishes them. I do have a Henle edition with six of his works on order.

With regard to the jumps -- that seems to be characteristic of his music. All that I have heard has them.

Let me know if you still want a short bio on him, but at this time I'm thinking that with only two pieces putting his work under miscellaneous would be more appropriate.

As for my bio, here's one you can use:

"Ed was born in 1947 and began music training on the cornet. After deciding that he didn't have the proper lip for that instrument he shifted to piano studies at the age of 10. He continued for four years until moving to California where he took up the guitar studying for 10 years. While living in Germany Ed undertook a study of the recorder playing the tenor and bass recorders (German fingering). He returned to the piano for two more years during that 10 year love affair with the guitar. While raising a family Ed continued to play the piano and the guitar, and studied the flute for two years.

"With the children now grown and gone and retirement looming, Ed has returned to the piano and continues to explore the world of lost music. Ed's musical taste runs from Elizabethan to the beginning of the Romantic era with a special love for the lesser known composers."

I'll see if I can find a picture to submit...

Ed

12. pianolady

pianolady Monica Hart, Administrator Staff Member Piano Society Artist Trusted Member

Last Name:
    Hart
    First Name:
    Monica
    Ok, you and this piece are up on the site. On behalf of Chris, Robert, and myself, you are officially welcomed to Piano Society. We look forward to hearing more from you.

(you can email the photo or attach it here)