Thank you to those who donated to Piano Society in 2017.

Please comment on my spatial notation

Discussion in 'Composing' started by glenn, Aug 3, 2011.

1. musical-md

musical-md Active Member Piano Society Artist Trusted Member

Physician, Chief Medical Officer
    Last Name:
    Del Rio
    First Name:
    Eddy
    Glenn,
    The more I listen to these pieces the more I'm fascinated by them. I just thought I would check for the "phi" moment in your works (actually it's the inverse Golden Ratio). This is strictly based on time as the works are produced in the mp3, as your music has no bars to count. Strictly based on elapsed time, the phi moment for Waiting for a Breeze comes in line 29 at start of second phrase. That for The Sun Brings Hope is in line 26, last phrase (f). As I search for significance of the first position (return of activity with 16th notes perhaps?), I struggle until I realize that what I see is the synchronization of phrases in both hands such that the music can take a quiet breath. Then I remember the title: Waiting for a breeze, and a smile comes across my face. In no.2, the phi moment is also subtle but represents the return of the first full forte in 2.5 pages! In performance, I would probably wish to time it such that the fortissimo of line 29 is what occured at that time - and maybe I'd make a bigger deal out of it than you have.

le philosophe inconnu,
    Eddy

2. glenn

glenn New Member

Home Page:
    Ha. Unknown indeed. I have used the Golden Mean in some of my earlier works, but I am afraid these present works were written by Goldmund and not Narcissus. I had a long and stimulating conversation once with a composer about the nature and value of improvisation. He claimed that improvisers just regurgitate what they know, even if it is unconscious. I tried to argue that you don't even BEGIN to improvise until you DON'T know what you are doing. It is not just forgetting what you know, it is allowing the complexity of reality to overcome ones desire for simplicity and control, so that your mind does not intrude. To do it well, you must also replace the "depth of reflection" with the "depth of experience", and you must TRUST it! When you compose, you almost always know what you are doing, at least when you are past the stage of beginner. But with improvisation, you become reintroduced to the realm of discovery. During the period of post-creation when I am editing and making decisions concerning which parts to use, beginning, ending, cuts, etc., or, in other words, when I am actually putting the pieces together, I am also making subjective decisions about simply whether it works or not - and why. It is amazing how a small change can make all the difference. I am honored that you would put these works to such scrutiny, and hope they provide some enjoyment. Thanks again, Eddy.

Glenn

3. musical-md

musical-md Active Member Piano Society Artist Trusted Member

Physician, Chief Medical Officer
    Last Name:
    Del Rio
    First Name:
    Eddy
    Glenn, I had to go in search of some education to gain understanding of what you meant by the Goldmund vs Narcissus contrast. Next time speak to me on my level and just say Bones vs Spock :lol: (or Dionysus vs Apollo if you prefer)

4. glenn

glenn New Member

Home Page:
    I always think of the Hesse because they are so distinct and because they both arrive at a similarly enlightened understanding. But I like the Bones and Spock!

Glenn