DONATION STATUS
Needed before 2016-12-31
$ 2,500
So far donated
$ 755

playing thirds

Discussion in 'Technique' started by Anonymous, Jun 20, 2006.

1. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

there are lots of fingering systems for playing thirds, and i've developed a few fingering systems myself... i was wondering if there is anyway to improve the speed at which i play thirds? i see lang lang can play chromatic thirds at the speed which i play chromatic notes- it's demoralising.

do any of you have any way to train? or any fingering systems?

my ascending minor third fingering is:
    (starting C/Eb)

3 4 5 3 4 3 4 3 4 5 3 4
    1 2 1 2-2  1 2 1 2 1 2-2

2. joeisapiano

joeisapiano New Member Piano Society Artist

Piano Student
    Last Name:
    Kingma
    First Name:
    Joseph
    YAHOO:
    joeisapiano
    i've just recently started practicing scales in thirds (starting with C major and A minor... etc) and I'm surprised at how much they help with parallel scales and trills and every other type of finger-work. for major and minor scales in thirds i use Tausig's system (which can be found at www.piano.ru/library and click on etudes and find tausig (that part is all in russian, so you'll have to guess what his name looks like in russian. as for chromatic thirds, i use moszkowski's which i think is the same as yours (see attached)

3. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

hey brilliance!

im so glad there are people who support this 2-2 sliding system! :) and thanks for the gif, it really gives a very good picture of this whole thirds thing :D thanks!!

4. ben

ben New Member Piano Society Artist

Last Name:
    Kopp
    First Name:
    Benjamin
    3rds

I use the same fingering as you, but just out of interest, here is one of Godowsky's fingerings (starting on c/eb)

3 4 5 4 5 4 5 3 4 5 4 5 4 5 3

1 2 1 2 1 3 2 1 2 1 2 1 3 2 1