DONATION STATUS
Needed before 2016-12-31
$ 2,500
So far donated
$ 755

Pictures at an Exhibition

Discussion in 'Repertoire' started by juufa72, Aug 24, 2007.

1. juufa72

juufa72 New Member Piano Society Artist

Last Name:
    Grocholski
    First Name:
    Julius
    Hello all,

Would it be considered O.K. if I would play one piece from Mussorgsky's Pictures at an Exhibition? Or is that "illegal" in the piano profession? Is it normal for one to play all the pieces like a theme and variation?

I really like The Old Castle and Bydło

Whenever I look at professionals play this suite, it is a continous track. When Setrak "recorded" this suite, it too was a continous track.

Everyone knows my ability by now and there is no way I could play most of the pieces, it's just too techincally demanding. Especially when I am my own teacher

I hope I made sense :?

2. PJF

PJF New Member Piano Society Artist

Last Name:
    Fournet
    First Name:
    Pierre
    I really enjoy your playing but seldom hear it. IMO, you should record whatever you feel comfortable playing.

A single movement of a multi-movement piece is better than silence. Go for it! :D

Pete

3. Terez

Terez New Member

Student
    WLM:
    terez2727@hotmail.com
    AOL:
    terez2727
    I think that would be fine to just play a couple of movements - make sure and play the Promenade that goes with Il vecchio castello. :) It would sort of be weird to play the next Promenade without Tuileries, though...but I can definitely understand not being able to play Tuileries. :lol:

4. techneut

techneut Active Member Piano Society Artist

Last Name:
    Breemer
    First Name:
    Chris
    Yeah go right ahead juuf... you know we do not care for C.S.'s here :lol:

Do what you can, as our fitness instructor always says.

Good idea of Terez to include the preceding promenade, you should certainly do that. It's not hard and it is just such a nice introduction to the Old Castle.

Somehow I think the Bydlo would not sound right on your keyboard. It needs real weight and power.

5. juufa72

juufa72 New Member Piano Society Artist

Last Name:
    Grocholski
    First Name:
    Julius
    Niether does Rachmaninov's prelude 3/2 :x ....may we say WIMPY!??

Anyways. I am going to play in a recital this winter (prelude 3/2) and next summer (select pieces from P.a.a.E) so I feel like bringing out the pieces in a minor key which will suit the ~7foot Steinway at the music hall.

I like the Old Castle and Bydlo, however I believe that the "2 Jews" piece is the greatest piece to come out of the suite. But that's just my opinion. (So sad that it's hard as hell, but great music is never easy to play 8) )

EDIT: Nevermind about the Bydlo, somehow I forgot that my keyboard does not have the lowest keys! Maybe someday when I win the lottery and can afford a real piano...... :roll: