Thank you to those who donated to Piano Society in 2017.

Piano Sonata in F#m

Discussion in 'Composing' started by jgstrickland7, Jul 23, 2015.

1. jgstrickland7

jgstrickland7 New Member

2. andrew

andrew Administrator Staff Member Piano Society Artist

Home Page:
    Last Name:
    Wright
    First Name:
    Andrew
    Youtube:
    alkanliszt
    I'm not completely sure what to make of this. Possibly I'm approaching it with preconceptions and seeking to classify it in terms of what I already know and that isn't helping.

It seems to be mostly a mix of classical sonata with some early Beethoven-type influences and a predilection to veer off into new age-ish territory at time. I thought the most interesting movement was the Andante, the trouble was when things were getting interesting it lapsed into a sort of quiescence. It's clear you are using some level of form, and of course there nowadays is no requirement for "sonata" to equate to "strict sonata form" but I was a bit concerned that it was slightly amorphous and ideas lacking in development. Could just be bad listening on my part, it's hard to listen thoroughly and analytically at the same time. Also I think harmonically it's a bit simplistic - too much usage of standardised harmonies. Actually that's what I liked about the Andante, it seemed to be moving outwith that framework when it stepped backwards (as I saw it).

I'm not completely comfortable in making these comments, because I don't like to pass judgement on someone's personal aesthetics when that judgement is, as I alluded to above, formulated partly in the context of my preconceptions - and I'm not entirely sure in what style you are trying to write. Formulating your own style, perhaps.. Anyway, well done on producing a full-length work, I know myself how much work goes into such things.

3. jlr43

jlr43 Member Piano Society Artist

Technical Editor
    Last Name:
    Renouf
    First Name:
    Joe
    Is this classical? Sounds more like something John Tesh might have composed when he had a bad case of indigestion.