DONATION STATUS
Needed before 2017-12-31
$ 1,000
So far donated
$ 1,045
Thank you to those who donated to Piano Society in 2016.
A big thank you to Project Petrucci who has helped us already meet our 2017 goal!

Piano Society on YouTube !

Discussion in 'Useful resources' started by techneut, Aug 30, 2014.

1. techneut

techneut Active Member Piano Society Artist

Last Name:
    Breemer
    First Name:
    Chris
    I stumbled upon this YT channel

https://www.youtube.com/user/dedemdeizler

This guy seems to have recently put a large chunk of PS recordings (perhaps even all of them) on YT. I guess he's got some automated program that takes an mp3, an image, and a title as input, and out rolls a YT "video". Otherwise he could hardly have posted so many videos in such a short time span.

I am not sure what to think about this... He certainly did not ask me anything and I guess he did not ask anyone else. And he does not say where he's got the recordings from either. A pirate !

2. andrew

andrew Administrator Staff Member Piano Society Artist

Home Page:
    Last Name:
    Wright
    First Name:
    Andrew
    Youtube:
    alkanliszt
    Not sure what I think about this. On the pragmatic side, I doubt they will get many views, and at least he seems to have given some sort of artist attribution - it would be much harder to spot what he'd done if he hadn't.

3. techneut

Last Name:
    Breemer
    First Name:
    Chris
    Yes the titles are mostly ok, though very long ones are truncated and thus not showing the artist name. t shows all the signs of some automated process.

On one hand it does not seem ethic to rip tons of mp3's from a site and post them on your own channel without even asking the artists.
    On the other hand it can't be bad to have someone post your recordings on YT. Free publicity and all that :)

4. andrew

andrew Administrator Staff Member Piano Society Artist

Home Page:
    Last Name:
    Wright
    First Name:
    Andrew
    Youtube:
    alkanliszt
    Of course it's unethical, but it would bother me considerably more if they were being sold (as has happened to collections of rare scanned music). Is there any way you can run checks on and/or terminate bulk downloads via single IPs? Apart from anything else, it can't be good to have abnormal amounts of data transferred via your servers.

5. hreichgott

hreichgott New Member

As we post downloadable recordings to be used by the public with no copyright restriction or rights reserved, I'm not sure that we have grounds to complain.

Our site does ask politely that people who repost include a link back to pianosociety -- but I doubt we could enforce that, beyond repeating the polite ask in a message to the channel owner.

It may be impolite but it isn't really even unethical, given the grounds on which we post our files.

6. techneut

Last Name:
    Breemer
    First Name:
    Chris
    I think that was tried in the past, but unsuccessful. I'll need to have a look at the statistics.

yeah, point taken. Given that he doesn't make any money of it (or so I assume, the vids are not monetized as far as I could see) it's not fundamentally different from Facebook sharing or retweeting.

7. pianolady

pianolady Monica Hart, Administrator Staff Member Piano Society Artist

Last Name:
    Hart
    First Name:
    Monica
    Those of us who make videos know how much trouble it is and hard we work to produce a decent recording/video. So the fact that this guy can rip our recordings and slap on any old image to make a video bothers me.

At least he does not have all of our recordings. Just Albeniz, Alkan, Bach, Bartok, Beethoven, and Mozart. Which is still a considerable amount of recordings! I did find one of my Alkan recordings without my name attributed to it, though. I'm surprised he doesn't have any Chopin. Maybe he does things in batches. Next month he'll steal all our Chopin, Debussy, Granados, etc...

8. hreichgott

hreichgott New Member

I thought about it for a couple days then went and found his repost of my Bach and put this comment on it (nice, sorta).

Maybe if others do similar, we the original site will get some extra traffic... not that it appears to be a heavily trafficked channel.

9. pianoman342

pianoman342 Member Piano Society Artist

Last Name:
    Tucker
    First Name:
    Riley
    Wow. Just... Wow. This does come as a shock. And it looks like he/she has a couple of my Bartok recordings on there! Not sure whether I should be flattered or outraged :? Like Andrew says, as long as he's not making cash from putting these on a DVD, I suppose it's... fine... The pictures that go with the recordings could be better/more, not just one playing through the duration of the recording.

10. pianolady

pianolady Monica Hart, Administrator Staff Member Piano Society Artist

Last Name:
    Hart
    First Name:
    Monica
    Robert has asked the guy to take down the videos. Guess we will see if he complies or not....