Needed before 2016-12-31
$ 2,500
So far donated
$ 860

Piano Sketch- Need help

Discussion in 'Composing' started by Anonymous, Jun 23, 2010.

1. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

2. Affinity

Affinity New Member

Jun 12, 2010
    The trite harmonic chord progressions and drone broken chord accompaniment at the beginning half are a little too forgettable for me. While the melody is pleasant and flowing save a few odd slips, it feels like an imitation of Chopin without any personal voice, and it also feels too safe in not venturing far from the subject material. There are a few embellishments here and there such as the descending scale during the later half, but not much more. Furthermore, there is no change of excitement levels in the music (other than a piu mosso here or there) due to a lack of change in harmonic rhythm (most of which are a bar long; the shorter they are the more exciting) and far too repetitive chord progressions which go nowhere at all until the very end. While you definitely have a impressive flair for improvising to the harmonic language of Romanticism, it is more suited for background music than serious music... It will impress the general public but not the music lover because it does not engage the ears nor the heart the same way Chopin does with the same language... I don't think it is worth putting as an impromptu unless you vary the material and chord progressions.
  3. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Thank you,
    I can see your point, while improvising on this I included an introduction, Melody A, variations on Melody A, than progress to Melody B, variations on Melody B, Than changed to a major form of melody B, than back to Melody B minor, slight variation and then back to Melody A. This of course, from a perspective a little monotonous and repetitive, but I hope to expand on the two themes.
  4. techneut

techneut Active Member Piano Society Artist

Jun 12, 2006
    First Name:
    I can only chime in with Affinity here.
    It seems to me that many young would-be composers are simply trying to emulate Chopin or Rachmaninov. We hear it all the time here. What is usually lacking are the structure, purpose and discipline that would make it a composition rather than an improvisation. A nice tune in the style of your pet composer is just not enough.
  5. Marik

Marik New Member

Mar 19, 2010
    Instead of implying this is your creation, I think that would be nice to cite the original source of this lifted melody--a beautiful Russian Romance Я встретил вас

Best, M