Thank you to those who donated to Piano Society in 2017.

Piano Recital

Discussion in 'Submission Room' started by fluterific00, May 29, 2008.

1. fluterific00

fluterific00 Member

Private Piano Teacher College Piano Teacher Accomp
    Home Page:
  2. techneut

techneut Active Member Piano Society Artist Trusted Member

Last Name:
    Breemer
    First Name:
    Chris
    The way to join this site as a pianist is to submit one or more mp3's of your recordings. These mp3 files should be attached to a messages posted in the audition room. I guess you have these files on your website somewhere, or even on your own computer.

If the recordings are up to standard, we will ask you for a buigraphy and photo, and then we can create your pianists' page.

3. bclever

bclever New Member

I've tried two days in a row to watch your video from that link but no success. I click on Play
    but it just sits there with "Buffering" message posted. Does it take an unusually long time to
    download from that site? Your program looks very interesting.

4. bclever

bclever New Member

Either you fixed it or my popup blocker was causing the problem cuz it's working now :)
    Good job on your recital.

5. fluterific00

fluterific00 Member

Home Page:
    If you need the movement titles for the Partita, I can add them if you like.
    Glad you got the recital page to work.

6. fluterific00

fluterific00 Member

Home Page:
    Senior Piano Recital

Also, if they need to be on separate tracks, let me know.
    Thanks

7. fluterific00

fluterific00 Member

Home Page:
    Senior Piano Recital

Okay, I guess I'll have to try again. Please tell me how I can make my files smaller.
    Thanks

8. pianolady

pianolady Monica Hart, Administrator Staff Member Piano Society Artist Trusted Member

Last Name:
    Hart
    First Name:
    Monica
    Only the track with all the different composers/pieces needs to be split up into separate files. But I don't really know why all of your attachments show the file size as being 3.44 MB. That's kind of a strange thing.

btw - welcome to the site! :)

9. fluterific00

fluterific00 Member

Home Page:
    Yeah, thanks. The only thing is though, that I can't seem to get the whole entire spring sonata on there, as well.
    If anybody can tell me how, that'd be great. Otherwise, I'll just try posting it again.

10. fluterific00

fluterific00 Member

Home Page:
    Ok, I think I've got it now. I was using a trial version to convert, it only did part of it. Except I'm still not sure how to split the tracks.
    Anyway, Enjoy

11. fluterific00

fluterific00 Member

Home Page:
    Senior Piano Recital

Okay, I feel really stupid now, but I just realized that I didn't need to convert the files before, so they should be in working condition before. I just don't know how split the files. If you can use the spring sonata, that be great. That's the only separate one. But, since it's not just piano, I don't know if you can.
    Anyway, I'll try reposting the whole thing.

12. techneut

Last Name:
    Breemer
    First Name:
    Chris
    Something strange with that video it seems. It's so afwul slow in loading that I had to abort it. Half a seconf music, then 10-20 seconds buffering, I don't know what is the matter. Maybe better to put your videos on YouTube - at least these always work.

This array of postings and attachments is totally confusing. Most of what you attached is either truncated or does not load or work. It seems like you have a 3-minute timout on you system as both the Bach and Beethoven are truncated at exactly 3 minutes, or 3.44 Mb as Monica already observed. Same for the first 'container' track. The 'women composers.mp3' seems to be a corrupt file as I can't get it to play. The WMA file would not load at all. But that is OK as we do not accept WMA files anyway, only mp3.

So, I listened to whatever could be salvaged complete. In all, the sound is rather bad and the piano out of tune. Sometimes, a good performance can make one forget that. Not so here, I'm afraid.

The Bach Preludium is a hard piece to bring off with the ornaments as written, and despite a brave job, you do not quite succeed. A trillo on a 32th note is actually well-high impossible, except perhaps on a harpsichord. Maybe these had better be left out. Apart from this, the performance suffers from shaky rhythm and rather wooden playing. This partita does not look so hard on paper but by-god it is, and I would think twice before performing it.

The first 3 minutes of the Spring Sonata are dutifully played. You leave out some notes to avoid these typical fast Beethoven jumps. Maybe a wise decision. We don't get to hear much of the violin. Which is maybe just as well as her intonation leaves much to be desired.... We do appreciate chamber music on this site but it has to be a bit better played and recorded than this.

The 'container' track contains one complete number which I assume to be the Clara Schumann Praeludium. A good composition and well played - MUCH better than the Bach. If it were not for the sound quality this could go up the site.

As it stands, none of these tracks are of any use right now. Sorry I can't be more positive, but we have become fairly critical these days ! I hope you can make some better-sounding studio or home recordings one day, and submit them as separate mp3 files. You'll need to look into why your uploads seem to be aborted after 3 minutes - that is definitely not a problem on our side.

13. fluterific00

fluterific00 Member

Home Page:
    Well, at least you liked some of it. I know you want quality stuff on the site, so I can understand your comments. Keep in mind that this was recorded at a live performance, so there are bound to be mistakes. Especially nearing the end, when you are getting tired. :)
    That was the firs of it's kind that I've ever done, so all new to me.
    And, my cousin and I didn't have much time to practice together. She lives in Dallas, and I in Missouri, so you can see the dilemma. (however, we did very well, considering that.) At least i succeeded to impress my teacher. :)

Anyway, I'm not as tech savvy as you seem to be, so I was wondering if recording something on a Yamaha keyboard would work.

I will take the critizims (I can't spell that word tonight) gracefully, even though the words cut deep. I still do like your site, however. Nice resource for piano teachers.

14. fluterific00

fluterific00 Member

Home Page:
    ooh, yeah. and I'm afraid they don't do the best job keeping up the pianos at the school. I don't even think it was tuned especially for my event. :)

15. techneut

Last Name:
    Breemer
    First Name:
    Chris
    Me tech savvy, hehehe... Far from it. But many people here use a digital piano, sometimes with surprisingly good results (and sometimes less so). It sure has the edge over an untuned piano but you'll need to take care there is a bit of body about the sound. Sometimes digitals can sound impossibly tinny and lifeless.

Yeah, sorry about that. I was being pretty brutal there. I am absolutely sure you can do so much better in a real, proper recording so don't be dispirited !

Good. Stick around !

I forgot to mention that the ensemble playing in the Beethoven is pretty good. It is mostly the less than firm string tone that puts one off. This is the problem with strings, it's either right or horrible, nothing in between. We pianists have it easy by comparison !

16. fluterific00

fluterific00 Member

Home Page:
    I forgot to mention that the ensemble playing in the Beethoven is pretty good. It is mostly the less than firm string tone that puts one off. This is the problem with strings, it's either right or horrible, nothing in between. We pianists have it easy by comparison !

Yes, that's why I used to like the piano over flute better, too. You can't help sometimes that the instrument is in tune or not, and dynamics are generally easier. On flute, one has to be more careful. (about intonation) :) By the way, she also sings and plays piano. Plus if the piano was out of tune, that probably didn't help her much, too.
    Anyway, I have a song to record, and I may add it up here later this week. My recital stuff is not up to speed anymore, as that was in 2006. I haven't played much since then, but I s till think I probably have improved since then too.

17. fluterific00

fluterific00 Member

Home Page:
  18. techneut

Last Name:
    Breemer
    First Name:
    Chris
    A charming piece, if a bit repetitive. The harmonic transitions seem a but clumsy. The main theme is interesting and sounds like it might have been written at least a century later. Quite daring for the time, I think. Very well performed, only maybe a little bit too much pedal in places.

We can put this in the 'Various' section if you want. In that case please provide a bio and photo.

19. fluterific00

fluterific00 Member

Home Page:
    Bio

Okay, thanks.

Alison Hasselquist has played the piano since she was about five. Her lessons started from her mother Janine Hasselquist who had taught herself. Once Alison reached a certain level of playing, her mother decided to send her to another teacher which ended up to be Rosetta McFarland. After that several teachers entered into her life. Mrs. Sara Oberle and the late Mrs. Tascille King.
    Upon arriving college, her teacher changed yet again. Dr. Cynthia Hukill became Alison's student advisory and piano teacher. While in college, Alison completed her Bachelor of Arts degree in music at Missouri Southern State University.
    She has held the position of accompanist at several events, including solo and ensemble work. She has accompanied the Joplin Memorial Middle School choir as a paid accompanist and other choirs as a volunteer accompanist. She has also currently enjoyed accompanying for the Suzuki Violin Academy at Missouri Southern State University.

I hope that sounds okay.

20. fluterific00

fluterific00 Member

Home Page:
    photo

is this where you put the photo?