Thank you to those who donated to Piano Society in 2017.

Piano music - Chopin + Prokofiev

Discussion in 'Submission Room' started by l'art-pour-l'art, Dec 25, 2008.

1. l'art-pour-l'art

l'art-pour-l'art New Member

Hello,
    I'm new on this board.
    I'll present you some of the pieces worked on the last time.
    Please comment :)
    (If the link doesn't work, just actualise it one or two times)

Etude G flat major by Chopin (recorded 2008)

Ballade g-minor by Chopin (recorded 2007)
    1st Part: http://www.clavio.de/forum/upload/mp3/1191341769.mp3
    2nd Part: http://www.clavio.de/forum/upload/mp3/1191363757.mp3

Prokofiev: Scherzo from op.12: http://www.clavio.de/forum/upload/mp3/1221331819.mp3

If you like it, I'll post some more.

Thank you for listening!

L'art pour l'art[/url]

2. techneut

techneut Active Member Piano Society Artist Trusted Member

Last Name:
    Breemer
    First Name:
    Chris
    I listened to the Chopin etude. It's very good technically despite a couple of little slips. Musically, it's not especially distinctive. Mastering Chopin Etudes is one thing, you can certainly do that. Transforming them into music that lets one forget these are etudes, is another thing. In that respect, this etude may be one of the hard ones.

The procedure here is that you attach mp3's with max 192 Kbps encoding (not wma-files, thes are too big), and not post links where we have to go and download. Can you please submit your pieces like that ?

3. l'art-pour-l'art

Ok, thank you techneut, next time I'll do like that, I didn't know.

Thank you also for your comment on the Etude; I know that it isn't already perfekt :p
    In a few months, I'll continue working on it.

The Ballade also isn't perfect, when I recorded it, I was only 17 years old and had another teacher. :D

4. Francois de Larrard

Francois de Larrard Administrator Staff Member Piano Society Artist Trusted Member

Researcher
    Home Page:
    Last Name:
    Larrard
    First Name:
    Francois de
    Dear 'L'art pour l'art',
    First of all I like your french avatar ! Then I have listened your Chopin study and your Prokofiev scherzo. Your technique is amazing! I would guess you are quite young. At least you play as a young and good conservatory pupil: very quickly, almost no wrong notes, very stable tempo, no taste mistake (you should have a good professor, aware of the authorized ways for interpreting these pieces). Now, as a good Bordeaux, you need some years resting in cave to give more flavor... My advices would be:
    - to listen some reference recording of Chopin's studies, like Vladimir Ashkenazy or Maurizio Pollini's;
    - to play less quickly and with more dynamic contrasts (the pianos more piano, the forte more forte);
    - to have a little more flexibility in your tempo (in Chopin more than in Prokofiev).

Anyway it was a pleasure to listen these nice recordings. All the best,

5. l'art-pour-l'art

Dear Francois,

A few months ago I found this aphorism as I had a homework from school about the epoche "symbolism" (literature), it is a bit like expressionism.
    L'art pour l'art - I like this idea, because I'm bothered by people who want to interpret all art in its very little detail and search always reasons for art being something precios.
    But I think, art, in this case, music itself is already so wonderful, that you absolutely don't need a justification for it.
    This is why I chose that name.
    (And I took it in french, because this is my favourite language - its not easy not to change into french when I describe a french phrase in englisch :D )

Thank you also for your comment.
    When I played the Ballade, I had a "normal" teacher from the music school here, the other two pieces, I worked on with a prof from the conservatory. At the moment, the Etude is mellowing (I do not play it any more), I'll continue working on it in a few months and probably play it for the entrance examination on the conservatory.
    So you're right, I'm "quite" young, in january, I'll have my 19th birthday, in june, I'll finish school and study the piano (if I'm taken there).

Salutations :wink:

6. l'art-pour-l'art

I loaded up the pieces in mp3-files how techneut told me;
    In addition to the Etude, Ballade and Prokofiev Scherzo, there are now a Prélude from Prokofiev and a Prélude from Messiaen.

7. MindenBlues

MindenBlues New Member Piano Society Artist

Home Page:
    Last Name:
    Schmidt
    First Name:
    Olaf
    I think you are quite demanding with that opinion. Yes, that it is really virtuosic playing but also really musical. At least I would be glad to come in the near of that capabilities. Such pieces - like the g minor ballade - which everybody knowns tend to an opinion that one sets higher standards in opposite to complete unknown pieces, but that is a bit unfair. The etude sounds fresh and I agree on the already expressed opinion that one can recognize the youth of the player with a promising piano playing future.

I also listened to the Chopin g-minor ballade. Yes, there are some wrong notes here and there too, but in my video here there are also some mistakes. Here too I very much like the dynamics and tasteful rubato. Like the black key etude, it is difficult to catch up with such a high calibre professional recording of that piece what came up some weeks ago.

l'art-pour-l'art, what is that for a piano you used for the recordings? In the ballade recording it sounds to me as if there was a clock in the near of the mic, at least there is a tiny tick every second, tick, tick, tick. However not really distracting. In my case, there was also a clock - now I know I need to put it in another room while recording...

8. Sandro Bisotti

Sandro Bisotti New Member Piano Society Artist

Last Name:
    Bisotti
    First Name:
    Sandro
    Excuse me, but IMHO Pollini and Ashkenazy are really bad masters of style. If one must take them for examples, then it will be the negative example, the "mainstream" style that (almost) murdered comunication and then public attention in piano recital. To each one his masters, and if it's ok for Pollini and Ashkenazy, I like 100 times more Sokolov and Samson Francois, only to purpose 2-3
    names. Industry and "industrial" pianists (as Pollini and Ashkenazy, with their orrible cds with thei orrible and not natural sound) kill the music.
    Bye,
    Sandro

9. Francois de Larrard

Francois de Larrard Administrator Staff Member Piano Society Artist Trusted Member

Researcher
    Home Page:
    Last Name:
    Larrard
    First Name:
    Francois de
    Hello Sandro,
    My point was an advice to listen great masters; Sokolov and Francois are others, and their interpretations certainly deserve listening too (as Cortot or other legendary pianists). As for Ashkenazy, I have heard some more recent recordings which were not very memorable to me. However, I'd like very much to have recorded anything comparable to his Chopin's op. 10 & 25. I don't see to what extent this is agains the Music as a universal value... To be supported by big multinational firms do not always prevent people to be great musicians !

10. Sandro Bisotti

Sandro Bisotti New Member Piano Society Artist

Last Name:
    Bisotti
    First Name:
    Sandro
    You are right, but also "To be supported by big multinational firms do not always prevent people"
    to make horrible recordings.
    All the best,
    Sandro

11. pianolady

pianolady Monica Hart, Administrator Staff Member Piano Society Artist Trusted Member

Last Name:
    Hart
    First Name:
    Monica
    Hello l'art-pour-l'art. I have listened to your recordings here and I like all of them except for the Ballade. First a question: Is it played on a digital keyboard? Sounds like it is and also the Messiaen. Please tell us exactly what pianos/equipment you used to record your pieces here.

Back to the Ballade - I do not hear the ticks that mindenblues mentions, but I do hear more than just a few wrong notes. I feel there are too many to make this acceptable for the site. People who know this piece have deep feelings about it (including myself) so I really think it should be with less errors. And after listening to your other recordings here, I know you can play better than you did on the Ballade so maybe you can re-record it someday?

12. l'art-pour-l'art

Hello pianolady,

you're right, the ballade isn't played with normal piano-sound. It's played on a yamaha-silent-piano, that means, I had normal keys, but the sound is digital from the synthesizer. I didn't have a microphone at this time.
    And it's also right that there are more than just some wrong notes - I played this when I was quite young, and when I startet playing, my technical status wasn't good enough to play this piece - I learned all while playing this and through playing. But I'm not a prodigy :p so there are still wrong notes. You don't have to like it.

@ Sandro + Francois:

Thank you for your statements. I have the complete piano version of Chopin of Ashkenazy, and I think his playing is adequate for to get to know the pieces.
    Surely, there are also other pianists to play Chopin extraordinaryly interesting, sokolov, Kissin a.s.o.
    By the way, I've got the Rachmaninov Concertos played by Ashkenazy, and to me, he plays this in a very wonderful way. Born for romantic pieces.

13. juufa72

juufa72 New Member Piano Society Artist

Last Name:
    Grocholski
    First Name:
    Julius
    i like the preludes very much although I never heard them before. Thank you for sharing, you are an accomplished pianist and I hope you will share more with all of us and be an active member (not those who log on only to dump recordings, but never join in on the fun and games :lol: )