Thank you to those who donated to Piano Society in 2017.

Piano manufacturer escapes bankruptcy

Discussion in 'The Piano' started by rainer, Apr 1, 2012.

1. richard66

richard66 Richard Willmer Piano Society Artist Trusted Member

Amateur musician
    Home Page:
    Oops. There again, I have spoken too much!!! Time to move! :D Cloud-Cuckooland, thereI come!

2. pianolady

pianolady Monica Hart, Administrator Staff Member Piano Society Artist Trusted Member

Last Name:
    Hart
    First Name:
    Monica
    Why? It's neat that you live there. Aren't you glad that you do? And it would be nice to meet you in person, Richard, if I do manage to go to Florence. :)

Cloud-Cuckooland...?...wherever that is, it sounds like a fun place.

3. 88man

88man Member Piano Society Artist

Last Name:
    Vosgerichian
    First Name:
    George
    Monica, Eddy and Richard are spot on! Florence is the birthplace of the Renaissance, and hey, it has a great leather district! I don't know how long your trip is, but if you have 2-3 extra days go for it! But don't try to cram too much either with too many cities and miss out on the detail on the cities that you're planning on. You want to be seeing, doing, discovering, not spending your time riding all the time - unless you're planning on renting a Ferrari. 8)

Regarding video cameras: I did want to mention that more and more P&S and basic SLR cameras are including video. My point and shoot Canon S95 takes 720p video that looks decent and records in stereo. As far as still photos go, the pictures from it are awesome to the point of me wanting to sell my 5D digital SLR. Video capability is getting better on newer cameras as that seems to be the market trend in photography. The new point and shoot Canon S100 IS can do 1080p/24f. Do your own free test: Bring an SD card with you, and go to Best Buy and try it the video mode on 1080p for a couple of cameras. You might even want to try out an SLR camera with a zoom lens. In any case, compare in Vegas Pro at home for low light and motion smoothness. Play it on a HDTV. Judge for yourself if you need to spend money on a separate camcorder. You might feel that a point and shoot might do dual duty as camcorder/camera. The trick to travel is - to travel LIGHT, and these P&S cameras are tiny and weigh nothing! If you feel that you need better audio, take your pocket audio recorder and merge later on like you do in your piano videos.

4. richard66

Amateur musician
    Home Page:
    :lol: Just joking. I promise I will not hide if you get off the train! Just do not let me know when you do, so I do not get the chance! :wink: :lol:

Serioulsly, I can show you a place or two to you if I am in the mood. More if I am not. If you are really good, you might even get to see the Geier and the famous MP3 recorder.

Cloud-Cuckooland - That is Culture for you. Cloud-Cuckooland is a perfect city built in the sky and the where the birds live in Aristophanes' play (414BC), The Birds.

5. pianolady

pianolady Monica Hart, Administrator Staff Member Piano Society Artist Trusted Member

Last Name:
    Hart
    First Name:
    Monica
    I'm a little confused here, Richard. :) But that’s okay, I can find my way around. I’m good with maps and directions.

I only have 15 days in Europe. I don’t know if I can squeeze in Florence, but I’d like to try. Maybe I can rent a car (I wish a Ferrari, but probably more like a Chevy…haha) and drive from Rome to Florence. According to Google, it would take about three hours and I expect the countryside would be nice to see. Although, I would have just seen it from the train…. I don’t know… Still, I could use another pair of leather pants! 8)

Regarding cameras: I know what you mean about point-and-shoot cameras having good video capability. I’ve been using my little Samsung camera for my videos lately because the image quality is better than my (older) Panasonic video camera. The reason I want a new video camera, though, is because of the zoom. You can zoom in much more on these new video cameras, much more than my regular camera. My smartphone takes decent video too, but it also does not zoom very much. And now I have another dilemma…trying to figure out how to manage my smartphone when abroad. I’ve been reading up on it and there are so many different ideas, opinions, and service plans about data usuage, roaming charges, wifi, and all that stuff...I’m getting a little overwhelmed by everything…

6. richard66

Amateur musician
    Home Page:
    Oy oy, Monica! If you stop here, I promise you I will be a good boy and will not pull your hair! :oops:

7. pianolady

Last Name:
    Hart
    First Name:
    Monica
    Hmmm....I'll take that under advisement... :)