Thank you to those who donated to Piano Society in 2017.

pedaling in Chopin etude questions

Discussion in 'Technique' started by pianolady, Oct 6, 2012.

1. techneut

techneut Active Member Piano Society Artist

Last Name:
    Breemer
    First Name:
    Chris
    Gosh that's been a while ! A bit of a topic bump, this... and quite off-topic too. Unless you want to suggest that this
    staccato/pedaling mix would be easier done on a Janko keyboard ?

Wow, some scales and chords ! Surely none of this could be achieved on a normal piano :p

Honestly I don't understand this dogged effort to 'improve' an instrument and notation that have evolved over centuries, and which is
    played to perfection by countless people all over the world. What is wrong with the default keyboard and notation ? Too difficult ? I think not.

Will any half-decent pianist be wanting to learn this keyboard to improve/facilitate their scales ? Probably not.

What is the target audience for such a keyboard anyway ? The poor sods who can't learn to play a normal piano ? Or the
    intellectual zealots who can never leave well enough alone ? There does not seem to be a middle ground.

Will it give possibilities for a new type of fascinating music, like a quarter-tone piano can ? Doesn't seem to be so.

But as a purely academic exercise I guess this has its value. Whatever turns you on ! I'd rather be playing the piano though.

2. jjj

jjj New Member

Saludos cordiales, de Johannes K. Drinda, down-under in St'go de Chile... enjoying an ice-cream in hot summer! In your context your opinion is totally correct. You struggled yourself to success on the traditional piano and thus, earned the right to defend and protect your hard earned dexterity skills. I totally agree! :)
    Yet, for me (quasi beginner) and in regard to Janko Kbd layout, it is a totally different matter.
    Hence, the bottom line is: why should Kbd learners have to keep on practicing a grossly irregular Kbd layout, if there exist a regular Janko Kbd layout, which allows them to progress their dexterity skills 10x faster? (The same with traditional music notation!)
    Thus, the only true, convincing argument is the fact that no accomplished Kbd player is willing to relinquish his/ her hard earned dexterity skills, gained on the traditional piano Kbd layout.
    Thus even then, if the traditional piano Kbd layout were to be 10x more irregular and complicated, they still would be unwilling/ unable to relinquish their hard gained skills. That's why the great A. Rubinstein said: "If I were to begin my career anew it would be on this keyboard." What more proof do we need? :roll:
    That is, why I rather trust good Arthur for having checked it out and properly assessed the Janko's Kbd advantages and benefits; much better than we ever could...

I somewhere read an article, in which a pianist on a traditional piano and a pianist on the Janko piano played and compared extremely difficult piece of music and the former felt like deceived and called the contest "unfair", because the Janko pianist never crossed his arms and enjoyed far less difficulties.
    In the end the traditional pianist mentioned that more than anything else, the art of performing on the piano consists in the challenge of mastering the irregularity of the traditional piano Kbd layout and that's why the Janko piano lacks this challenge. Yet, that mentality seems to have more to do with "sports or dexterity acrobatic" than with music...
    The same problem we got with the outdated, traditional music notation. Now, that computer programs are able to simplify conversions of different notations, it's about time to (at least offer gifted hobby musicians) to amend and simplify music notation. Thus far, only Klavarskribo notation dared to venture into this "forbidden realm".

My challenge has always been creating a fast and simple learning method, which enables musically gifted persons to play any musical keyboard. I discovered that the Janko Kbd layout and my innovative WYSIWYG Janko notation offers me just that. Maybe you know of an even better way of meeting my objective? - I would greatly appreciate for your professional advice.

3. techneut

Last Name:
    Breemer
    First Name:
    Chris
    I took the liberty to edit the post to delete the duplicate information.

Your arguments are valid too from a purely theoretical point of view. Although that quote by Rubinstein may well have been a quip... I don't think any pianist starting a career, and in their right mind, would start using a keyboard that nobody else uses. Think of going on tour and expecting a Janko piano in each concert hall ! And all the gigatons of published piano music to be converted to Janko (or even Klavarskribo) notation ! It would most severely curtail any musical career. And have you considered the fact that music for all other instruments is written using the same archaic notation ? How would one ever play chamber music ?

From a practical point of view, you are fighting a losing battle. The effort would be better spent on mastering the traditional material, which may be not be optimal but are really not beyond anyone's capability (certainly not someone capable of soldering an alternative keyboard, something I could never do even if I had the patience for it).

Hot summer, huh... good on you ! It's mid winter here and bitterly cold. At least it's dry now. Enjoy your ice cream, I'll have some more hot soup :)

4. jjj

jjj New Member

I admit to be a bit of an "one off" in this way of thinking and I totally agree with you that given the circumstances of the established piano culture, there's no way or hope for any changes in neither Kbd. layout or notation, any time soon and that has nothing to do with the advantages of other Kbd. layouts. Partly it has also to do with the continues stream of new pianist recruitment, which virtually perpetuates this good/ bad musical fundamentals and culture.
    Yet, from the hobby musician standpoint there's a desire to simplify the Kbd and notation and that's where the uniform Janko and button accordion Kbd. layout technically outsmarts the traditional piano Kbd. layout. The same with the traditional notation. Thx God, I'm free to choose the Kbd. and notation I prefer. :)
    In a way I'm grateful for the great masters F. Liszt and A. Rubinstein assessment of the Janko Kbd. layout, because now I can say: any pianist, less than their caliber is not entitles to contradict these great men. When I discovered my creative whistling to music, I sent a couple of audio-cassettes to my idols, the late organist Klaus Wunderlich and the late conductor Stuart Challender, of Sydney symphony orchestra and they professionally assessed it. From then on I couldn't care less the opinion of other people. I also performed with my sister's husband, the great concert pianist, Prof. Gerhard Erber from the Gewandhaus, Leipzig. That's my bit of musical pride I still enjoy today at age 73. :)

5. techneut

Last Name:
    Breemer
    First Name:
    Chris
    I did not realize the Janko keyboard was invented so long ago. Surely Liszt would have recognized its possibilities. One can only imagine what fiendishly difficult things he would have created ! My take is that instead of making things easier, it would simply lead to more complicated music. Traditional scales and chords would never satisfy a Janko composer for long.

Anyway, everybody needs a hobby and ideals, and I applaud you for it. Sorry there's not more interest in these quarters - we all seem to be traditional pianists here, content to take the keyboard as it is.