Thank you to those who donated to Piano Society in 2017.

Paderewski - Op. 14, No. 2 "Sarabande"

Discussion in 'Submission Room' started by pianolady, Nov 19, 2008.

1. pianolady

pianolady Monica Hart, Administrator Staff Member Piano Society Artist Trusted Member

Last Name:
    Hart
    First Name:
    Monica
    This is part of the opus 14 set and follows the more popular Menuet. I just sort of stumbled onto this and glad I did. It’s only three pages but I think it is very beautiful. This is one of those pieces that should be played at night and only by candlelight.

Paderewski - "Sarabande"

2. John Robson

John Robson New Member Piano Society Artist

Retired
    Last Name:
    Robson
    First Name:
    John
    Pad.

The Minuet is the only one of his compositions I've ever played. This is a pretty and relaxing piece to listen to, and you play it very well, of course. Thanks.

3. wiser_guy

wiser_guy Member Piano Society Artist Trusted Member

System Software Engineer
    Last Name:
    Assimakopoulos
    First Name:
    Pantelis
    I like your style on this one, Monica. Relaxed and unforced. You make a clever use of dynamics by not revealing everything you have yet giving convincing hints of the potential in certain places. This keeps me alert all the way... and it's very artistic on your part. You have my vote.

4. Rachfan

Rachfan Active Member Piano Society Artist

Chief Operating Officer, retired
    Last Name:
    April
    First Name:
    David
    Hi Monica,

First time I've ever heard this piece. And very beautifully played too. Thanks for sharing it.

David

5. pianolady

pianolady Monica Hart, Administrator Staff Member Piano Society Artist Trusted Member

Last Name:
    Hart
    First Name:
    Monica
    Thanks, you guys. Like everything I play, I have have to work very hard, so I'm glad this one came off ok.

6. MindenBlues

MindenBlues New Member Piano Society Artist

Home Page:
    Last Name:
    Schmidt
    First Name:
    Olaf
    That sounds wonderful to me, beautiful played!

Never heard this one, have just downloaded the score (from IMSLP).

Thank you too for pointing to this composition!

7. pianolady

Last Name:
    Hart
    First Name:
    Monica
    Thank you, Olaf. It's fun to come across these hidden gems, isn't it? I was just browsing through the other Paderewski scores on imslp and it looks like there may be some other nice pieces. Time to buy more ink... :wink:

8. s_winitsky

s_winitsky Member Piano Society Artist Trusted Member

programmer
    Last Name:
    Winitsky
    First Name:
    Stan
    You know it seems with imslp a whole world of music has opened up to us. I don't think I would find these scores otherwise.

This was played very nicely Monica. I didn't know of Paderewski compositions before. Somehow I thought he was just a virtuoso pianist. Sounded kind of baroque or renaissance? Almost like he was trying to follow the old rules of counterpoint? (Not that I know much about the subject)

9. StuKautsch

StuKautsch Member Piano Society Artist

Software Developer
    Last Name:
    Kautsch
    First Name:
    Stewart
    Delightful.

This is really one of the most delightful new discoveries I've encountered on PS.
    Nice job, pianolady. The playing was wonderful - very stately as a Sarabande should be and also introspective.
    If you're ever in a position to put the mic on the other side you should re-record it to see how it sounds over there, too.
    Was there reverb? Thanks for not putting it in to the point of being noticed. It helped keep the "classical" feel to the piece.

10. pianolady

Last Name:
    Hart
    First Name:
    Monica
    Thanks, Stan. I think it sounds baroque or renaissance too. But it is not too fussy - that's why I like it so much.

I know...I love that! And I'm even more excited because I'm printing off several Godowsky pieces I just found there that I did not have. Can't wait to get to my piano, but my son is still sleeping. I have very little patience, but I'll try to give him twenty more minutes.

Thanks, Stu. But you can call me Monica :) .

I'm a little confused about the mic issue. I have it on the left side of the piano, around one foot higher than the strings and about a foot away from the piano. At one time I had the recorder on the other side (right) but because there is a wall right there, the recorder was too close to the strings and I got a tinny sound.

I did add a little reverb to the recording - the 'bathroom' setting. :lol:

11. alf

alf Active Member Piano Society Artist

Last Name:
    Bertazzi
    First Name:
    Alfonso
    Nice, Monica. Powerful reprise and delicate coda, you captured the mood very well. You made me visualize lighted candles and red velvets. :wink:

By Paderewski I especially love the Nocturne Op.16 No.4. Try it and you will fall in love... :p

12. pianolady

Last Name:
    Hart
    First Name:
    Monica
    Thanks for the tip - I think I saw that one on imslp. I’ve been falling in love with lots of things lately, so I’ll definitely print it out. Thanks for listening.

13. rsmullyan

rsmullyan New Member Piano Society Artist

Mathematician, Musician, Magician & Author
    Last Name:
    Smullyan
    First Name:
    Raymond
    Really beautiful, Monica. I heartilly agree with all the nice things said above.

14. pianolady

Last Name:
    Hart
    First Name:
    Monica
    Thank you, Raymond. :)

15. techneut

techneut Active Member Piano Society Artist Trusted Member

Last Name:
    Breemer
    First Name:
    Chris
    Quite a touching little piece, much better than that famous minuet of his. Very affectionately played.

16. pianolady

Last Name:
    Hart
    First Name:
    Monica
    Thank you. I still like the Menuet but not as much as I used to. Although I recently heard Rachmaninoff play it and he did some different things with it that sounded quite nice.