Thank you to those who donated to Piano Society in 2017.

Over the Rainbow - Keith Jarrett transcription

Discussion in 'Submission Room' started by wiser_guy, Jul 1, 2009.

1. wiser_guy

wiser_guy Member Piano Society Artist Trusted Member

System Software Engineer
    Last Name:
    Assimakopoulos
    First Name:
    Pantelis
    In 1997, Keith Jarrett played a solo concert at Teatro alla Scala which was recorded live and released as 'La Scala'. One of the pieces included was the well known standard 'Over the Rainbow' by Harold Arlen written for the Wizard of Oz. Jarrett has played this piece numerous times mainly as an encore in his solo concerts but admittedly, this performance is his best of it.

The piece is essentially polyphonic with 4 voices handling the heavily textured harmonies and melody. This, along with extended re-harmonisation, elegant sense of rhythm and apparent simplicity is Jarrett's favourite practice when playing solo.

This transcription has been a challenge. Of course I am far behind Jarrett's musical product and considering that he improvised this on the fly while I had to study and practise hard over the written score, the distance seems chaotic and this puts me off a little. However, my transcription is very accurate and at least I'm proud of that.

With everyone's permission, I would like to dedicate this one to the memory of John Robson.

Enjoy the music.

Arlen-Jarrett - Over the Rainbow

2. alf

alf Active Member Piano Society Artist

Last Name:
    Bertazzi
    First Name:
    Alfonso
    Months ago I skimmed over some of Jarrett's wonderful arrangements of standards, traditional tunes and original works by other composers. I'd definitely like to record something by Jarrett. Then I put aside the project for a while. I'm glad to see someone on PS taking the torch, and you did a great job, Pantelis.

(Did you really transcribed it from the audio source? I'm lazy and use that one made by Friederich Grossnick. :lol: )

3. timmyab

timmyab New Member

This is one of my favorite songs.Almost unbelievable that Louis B. Mayer tried to get it cut out of the film, obviously not a music lover.Eva Cassidy singing it live at Blues Alley turns me inside out every time I hear it.I also thoroughly enjoyed your wonderfully controlled and subtle playing of it here.All those gorgeous chords.

4. sejra

sejra New Member Piano Society Artist

Home Page:
    Last Name:
    Stehlik
    First Name:
    Bohumir
    Wow. Thanks for sharing. I like it! This is one of the recordings which I really value. Music feeling, great work with piano and beautiful piece. More recordings like this!

5. pianolady

pianolady Monica Hart, Administrator Staff Member Piano Society Artist Trusted Member

Last Name:
    Hart
    First Name:
    Monica
    This is also one of my favorite songs. Makes me cry every time I listen to it, and this time was no different.

And now I see John's nice face as I type this.... :cry:

(it's too much - I'll take of this tomorrow, Pantelis.)

6. pianolady

pianolady Monica Hart, Administrator Staff Member Piano Society Artist Trusted Member

Last Name:
    Hart
    First Name:
    Monica
    Ok - it's up, now. Very nice, Pantelis.

7. s_winitsky

s_winitsky Member Piano Society Artist Trusted Member

programmer
    Last Name:
    Winitsky
    First Name:
    Stan
    Wow wiser_guy, this is your own transcription? I did not know you could do such a thing?

May I ask how you got into doing this type of thing? Have you written the transcription down and may I have a copy? You should become a professional transcriber if there is such a thing in the world.

Very nice playing.

8. wiser_guy

System Software Engineer
    Last Name:
    Assimakopoulos
    First Name:
    Pantelis
    Thank you, timmyab and thank you, Bohumir for taking the time to listen. I am very glad you liked this piece.
    Many thanks, Monica for putting this up.

Yes, there is no other way. I know there are several transcriptions circulating the net but from what I have seen, they are not so accurate especially rhythmically. Of course, seeking rhythmic accuracy in a Jarrett solo is a mission impossible but I prefer to do it my own way. Besides, there are pieces which I would like to play that are not available like my current project, 'True Blues' from his Carnegie Hall concert.

Simple, there are pieces that I like desperately and there is no score for them. The only possible way is to transcribe. It's also a fantastic way to strengthen aural skills, technique, ideas, etc. And yes, it takes a lot of time and patience that's why I only choose pieces I can't live without.
    I can give you a copy, certainly. In fact, if any other fellow member is interested, please PM me with your email. Just give me a few days to get it into Sibelius and produce a decent pdf as I only have it hand written.

9. techneut

techneut Active Member Piano Society Artist

Last Name:
    Breemer
    First Name:
    Chris
    This is very beautiful indeed - and ditto played.
    Takes courage to play such a long and quiet song as an encore. And it must be wonderful to be able to improvise like this. Great job on transcribing this... sheesh, where do you get the time for things like this !?!?. The playing could maybe have just a little more freedom and flexibility (but this is only to have something to nitpick, you understand :wink: )

Thanks for dedicating this to John. He would have been mightily pleased with it. What a shame we only dedicate things to people once they're gone....

10. pianolady

Last Name:
    Hart
    First Name:
    Monica
    Pantelis, I misunderstood about the transcription; I didn't know you actually wrote it all out. I would like to mention that in the listing on the site.

The composer is Alder, the player who made the rendition/transcription is Jarrett, but the actual transcriber of this particular version is P. Assimakopoulos. Do you have better way/suggestion of how to word this?

11. wiser_guy

System Software Engineer
    Last Name:
    Assimakopoulos
    First Name:
    Pantelis
    Well, three or four measures every week and eventually you get there.

Yeah, it is.
    Thanks for listening, Chris.

You are right Monica, a transcription may have a different meaning in classical music. In this case, transcription means transcribing (writing down the score by listening to) an actual performance. We call this 'reverse engineering' in the computer world :D.
    Here are the details.

Composer: Harold Arlen
    Lyricist: Edgar Yispel (E.Y.) Harburg
    Arranged/played by: Keith Jarrett
    Transcription: (me)

12. musicusblau

musicusblau Administrator Staff Member Piano Society Artist Trusted Member

High-school-teacher with subjects music and german
    Last Name:
    Pfaul
    First Name:
    Andreas
    Wow, this a very meditative piece, so full of deep thoughts to me. I really like it very much and I have enjoyed your recording, which is excellent and of a high sound-quality as we are used from you. What a nice idea to dedicate it to John!
    I saved your recording to my hard-disc and I´m sure, that I shall listen to it several times.

13. juufa72

juufa72 New Member Piano Society Artist

Last Name:
    Grocholski
    First Name:
    Julius
    Your playing is very well done and quite beautiful. I am fortunate enough that I do not listen to this kind of music too often as it is not my "cup of tea".

14. pianolady

Last Name:
    Hart
    First Name:
    Monica
    Ok, Pantelis - I made a little change on the listing. Thank you.

15. Rachfan

Rachfan Active Member Piano Society Artist

Chief Operating Officer, retired
    Last Name:
    April
    First Name:
    David
    Hi Pantelis,

You play this transcription beautifully, and with the wistfulness that is truly its essence. Excellent!

David

16. wiser_guy

System Software Engineer
    Last Name:
    Assimakopoulos
    First Name:
    Pantelis
    Thank you, David, for listening. I like the term wistfulness you used. It is nice to discover that your music has evoked feelings instead of just being right or wrong.

17. Didier

Didier Member Piano Society Artist

Last Name:
    Brest
    First Name:
    Didier
    The Scala concert is on my Ipod. I listened to it still a few days ago. What a surprise to discover your transcription. Very well done! Great music!

18. wiser_guy

System Software Engineer
    Last Name:
    Assimakopoulos
    First Name:
    Pantelis
    It's one of my favourites too. I am a fan of Jarrett's and of his music although I haven't been able to watch him live until now. I guess I'll have to take a trip to Italy, the nearest place I can watch one of his concerts, before the man retires.
    Thank you for listening, Didier.