Thank you to all those who donated in 2015!

DONATION STATUS
Needed before 2016-12-31
$ 2,500
So far donated
$ 595

"Ostinato Study"

Discussion in 'Composing' started by pianoman342, Nov 14, 2011.

1. pianoman342

pianoman342 New Member Piano Society Artist

Last Name:
    Tucker
    First Name:
    Riley
    I wrote this piece about a month ago. My inspiration for writing this is Mendellsohn's, "Spinning Song," from his set Songs Without Words also, strangely enough, Schumann's "About Strange Lands and Peoples" from his set Kinderszenen.

Here is a link:

http://youtu.be/IWS6F4CVPLU

Hope you can enjoy,

~Riley

2. hreichgott

hreichgott New Member

This is really more of a paraphrase of the B section of "Strange Lands and People" than an original composition... but I really did like the way "Strange Lands" sounds with a different ostinato underneath, and the occasional more contemporary harmony. Doing new things with well-known old themes is a skill all its own. Have you ever worked as a dance accompanist? :D

3. techneut

techneut Active Member Piano Society Artist

Last Name:
    Breemer
    First Name:
    Chris
    A nice enough piece, but not very original I'm afraid. The title seems a bit presumptuous to me. An Alberti bass-like LH accompaniment is not an ostinato, and a "study" it certainly cannot be called (unless you intend it to be a study for the very young).

4. pianoman342

pianoman342 New Member Piano Society Artist

Last Name:
    Tucker
    First Name:
    Riley
    @ hreichgott and Chris thanks for the feedback.

Now that you mention it, the B section in this piece sounds a lot like the B section from "Of Lands." I am afraid I cannot claim this to be a "original composition." :( About working as a dance accompanist, no, I never have :lol:

About the left hand being an alberti bass accompaniment, to me it is more of a series of arpeggios. The pattern in scale degrees is 1 - 5 - 8 over and over. From what I know Ostinato basically means a repeated figure in the bass so that is why I called it an ostinato study. Maybe I should not have used study as that would be for more of an academic type work? As for this piece being for the very young, I don't know if my younger brother could play this, but so be it-- "ostinato study" (for the very young) :roll:

~Riley