DONATION STATUS
Needed before 2016-12-31
$ 2,500
So far donated
$ 805

Oriental Etudes, Bk II

Discussion in 'Composing' started by Affinity, Jul 22, 2012.

1. Affinity

Affinity New Member

After a long period of creative desperation, I thought that it might be prudent to fall back on my affinity for the pentatonic scale and compose a few 'oriental pieces' for enjoyment, as I did in a collection two years ago, where I composed one every two or three days, a rate unthinkable now. Though they had pretty dubious endings and a patchwork quality to them, they still have a certain freshness and felicity which I have long forgotten. Hopefully I can recapture the same tunefulness and lightness of the originals while reflecting on two years of progress, and I hope you guys enjoy hearing these as much as I do composing them.

Will be updating this thread periodically, I guess. Comments and criticism on the pieces are welcome.

EDIT: Updated Nos. 2 and 4.

2. pianoman342

pianoman342 Member Piano Society Artist

Last Name:
    Tucker
    First Name:
    Riley
    Hi Jonathan,

I had a listen to your first piece off your 2nd book. A fun, energetic, yet quite complex piece! The musical idiom is foreign to me, even after listening to it three times. I am not familiar with music written in the pentatonic scale, so the idiom is not something I can really give you criticism on. It has the free form harmony of a jazz piece, but with classical influences..

It would be nice to have a look at the score, if for nothing else, to look at how the tempo runs through the piece. Can post it?

I had a listen to Chant of Inari, it was again another piece I can't seem to wrap my head around :x but this is a result of me studying music of the western civ. I suspect there is more use of the pentatonic scale, at least historically speaking, in the eastern hemisphere (notably the far east?) I wish I knew more about the type of instruments and music of the ancients of the east, the present day and every time in between!

Enjoyed listening to your piece!,

Riley

3. Affinity

Affinity New Member

@pianoman: Thanks a lot for the comments. I believe most of the harmonies are of the diminished 7th and 1st inversion chords however, modified (a semitone up or down) to make it swoon. Hopefully I can get a score up soon, though this one is hard to notate. Also, you should just 'improvise' a melody on the black keys of the piano, you'll find that there are far less possibilities and such...

4. Affinity

Affinity New Member

Two new pieces, though these aren't coming along nearly as easily as the first set. The frolic's a nice little romp though the middle is a bit laboured. The fourth etude is... uhh ammetric and strictly theoretical at the moment. Do enjoy! (scores probably not coming anytime soon though)