Thank you to all those who donated in 2015!

DONATION STATUS
Needed before 2016-12-31
$ 2,500
So far donated
$ 595

Open Goldberg Variations - new free score and recording

Discussion in 'Useful resources' started by OpenGoldberg, Mar 24, 2011.

1. OpenGoldberg

OpenGoldberg New Member

Hi Everyone,

I'm the Director of the Open Goldberg Variations (http://www.opengoldbergvariations.org) project, a non-profit effort to create a new score and a new studio recording of Bach's masterpiece, and place them into the public domain. The score is going to be created using MuseScore, the premiere open source notation software. This edition of the score will be "open source", meaning you will have access to the original MuseScore file as well as the PDF of the generated music. The recording of the Goldberg Variations will be made by pianist Kimiko Ishizaka, in a top German sound studio, and will be released in CD quality with no copyright or usage restrictions.

We've just completed our third week of fund raising on Kickstarter.com, and we've hit our initial goal of $15,000. Watch the video we made, and learn more about the project at: http://kck.st/opengoldberg

Best regards,
    Robert Douglass

2. musical-md

musical-md New Member

Physician
    Not interested.

3. techneut

techneut Active Member Piano Society Artist

Last Name:
    Breemer
    First Name:
    Chris
    Setting Bach free. Oh dear.
    :roll:

4. OpenGoldberg

OpenGoldberg New Member

I don't think there is a score of the Goldbergs that in electronic format, that is free, that can be edited, arranged, transposed, have parts extracted, export to MIDI, and so forth. That's not exciting at all? I also don't think there's a top notch recording that can be obtained and used, in any context, without any consideration of copyright or theft or piracy. Interestingly, the tech crowd on Slashdot loved the idea.

Anyway, as a newcomer to the forum I'll admit I don't know my audience here yet =)

Cheers,

Robert

5. richard66

richard66 Richard Willmer Piano Society Artist

Amateur musician
    Home Page:
    Last Name:
    Willmer
    First Name:
    Richard
    http://server3.pianosociety.com/cms/index.php?section=2963
    While I agree the idea is interesting, why would anyone want to edit it? Can anyone imagine doing this to Wuthering Heights (the novel)?

I take as an example Wikipedia, which even retarded people can edit with impunity. The errors I find in their articles is appalling. Would not the same occur here?

I read on your site the score is hard to come by. Funny, I thought it was readily available on the net and printed by at least a dozen publishers. I have a Henle Urtext I purchased with no difficulty at all. Now, if you were talking about the works of Rebikov...

6. techneut

techneut Active Member Piano Society Artist

Last Name:
    Breemer
    First Name:
    Chris
    Well, we're not slashdot technerds here.... Which you would have known had you lurked around a bit before posting (always a good thing to do....)
    Most of us here would be content just to play and study the Goldbergs rather than transpose, edit, or arrange them. Or, god forbid, turn them into MIDI :roll:
    So, the Well Tempered Clavier next ? Then the cantatas and Brandenburg Concertos ? Setting Bach free seems a huge task...